Things I'd like to be added in the Arctic DLC

LeeTwentyThreeLeeTwentyThree Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236321Members
edited July 2018 in Ideas and Suggestions
This is just a list of things that would be cool. I have no idea if some of them are already planned, but anyway I'm going to post them here.
  • Prawn Suit speed upgrade - Greatly increases speed on land. It is stackable. Also increases jet power on land.
  • Cyclops Camouflage Upgrade - Adds a button the cyclops UI allowing you to put it into camouflage mode, making you invisible to everything, and making attacking fish swim away.
  • Terrain Foundation - Makes a flat surface of terrain allowing buildings to be built on it. Helpful while building on islands or the arctic.
  • Thermometer - Tells you the temperature of the area. A temperature below 0 is blue. 10 to 25 is green. 25-50 is yellow. 50-75 is orange. 75+ is red.
  • Land Docking Station - Allows you to dock a prawn suit or other possible land vehicles. Requires extremely flat land or a terrain foundation.
  • Portable Heater - Allows you to stand temperatures down to -10 celcius. Anything below that is lethal.
  • An Advanced Cooking Station - Allows you to cook and cure foods, freeze fish for later, make water, craft nutrient blocks with plants, and heat up frozen food (such as frost berries or frozen fish)
  • Sled - Pulled by penguins and allows you to get around on rough / slippery terrain.
Breakable Objects
  • Ice Chunks - Can drop an ice block, titanium, or silver.
  • Frozen Rock - Can drop 1-2 ice blocks, gold, copper, or lead.
  • Small Solid Rock - Requires a survival knife to break. Can drop 1-2 ice blocks, 1-2 titanium, 1 gold, 1 diamond, 2- silver, or rarely a frozen ruby.
  • Large Solid Rock - Requires a thermoblade to break. Can drop 2-3 ice blocks. 2-3 titanium, 1-2 gold, a diamond, 1-3 copper, or 1-2 silver. Also drops a frozen ruby along with everything else.
Raw Materials
  • Frost Berries - A generic food found all over the arctic. Is too cold to eat at first. Requires a portable heater or an advanced cooking station.
  • Ice Block - Can be melted into Large Water (+35), used to make a fridge to store cooked foods forever, used to freeze foods for later, or made into a frost blade.
  • Frost Blade - Can be used to cut food into pieces, allowing some of it to be eaten and the rest to be stored.
  • Frozen Ruby - A very valuable material. Is used for crafting temperature proof upgrades, portable/placed heaters, hovercraft, and cold-resistant clothing. If frozen rubies or any items crafted with them get over
    50 celcius, they melt over time, eventually breaking for good.
  • Small Ice - Obtained when hitting the ground with a knife. Can be melted into Melted Ice.
Consumable Items
  • Warm Frost Berries +32 food, +2 hydration
  • Large Water +35 hydration
  • Frozen Food - Same food as before frozen, but gives -3 water. It also gives -3 health because it's hard.
  • Melted Ice - Gives 10 hydration. Has to be melted from 3 small ice at an advanced cooking station.
  • Cooked Penguin - Too large to eat. Must be cut up into 10 pieces with a Frost Blade.
  • Penguin Nuggets - Each nugget gives +5 food. A total of 50 food from each penguin.

Comments

• Hunter387Hunter387 Join Date: 2018-07-01 Member: 241853Members
    Wow that’s a lot but a lot of good ideas
  • ShrekislifeShrekislife Shrek's Grand Swamp Join Date: 2018-07-31 Member: 242594Members
    I don't want any penguin slavery
  • LeeTwentyThreeLeeTwentyThree Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236321Members
    @Shrekislife The devs actually had an idea for the sled too, even with the penguins. They're still working on it though, they might change their mind
  • ShrekislifeShrekislife Shrek's Grand Swamp Join Date: 2018-07-31 Member: 242594Members
    Ok, I guess you wouldn't want leviathans pulling your sled. U have great ideas btw.
    Ok, I guess you wouldn't want leviathans pulling your sled. U have great ideas btw.

Thanks. If you have anything you’d like to add to the list, I’ll add it.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    [*] Prawn Suit speed upgrade - Greatly increases speed on land. It is stackable. Also increases jet power on land.

That conjures in my mind an image of a Prawn suit eqipped with enormous striding ostrich legs!

• xmrmeowxmrmeow Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214935Members
    Powered Heating suit is cool.

Speed limitations have to exist on vehicles due to the engine not being able to handle loadzones well enough. Upgrades for land speed on land for the prawn suit are fine because it moves poorly on land, but making it faster underwater would cause big performance problems for many users without top of the line PCs.

Land and Sea focus is cool. They could integrate the two better instead of making it 95% water focused, it could be like 80-20, adding features such as:
    • massive leviathans that attack your bases if they're underwater
    • submersible land bay with cranes to lift your Seamoth/Prawn out of the water (basically a moonpool that lifts them out of the water and holds them, except has a longer vertical range)
    • Could add some cool land resources, but have creatures break through the ice and attack if they hear drilling from the prawn.

My main issues with the main game:
    • Copper and silver was always a pain to get: If the rocks gave only copper instead of a chance for copper or titanium (titanium is easy to get many other ways), it would've made a bunch of crafting less grindy.
    • Add a module that lets vehicles detect unscanned parts: some blueprints like moon pool and vehicle upgrade console are necessary for progression, but inconsistent to find. This would help a lot for finding more stuff in the game by exploring. Attaching multiple could extend the range. Alternatively put these BPs specifically near story beacons.
    • Some biomes I never felt I needed to go to for more than a brief moment for 1 thing, but they were very cool biomes. Perhaps add some resource nodes that require a permanent settlement to gather (a room in a base over it to drill, like some special oil or mineral under the sea floor). This would make building bases in more areas more useful (I usually ended up building just one big base in the safe shallows because I never felt inclined to do more, this gives advantages for setting up multiple bases).
    • Late game power generation leaves me with way more power than I know what to do with: a nuclear generator with 1 fuel rod is usually enough to power me for a full playthrough. It'd be nice if there were some lategame machines that needed more power like a nuclear powered sub (can just leave forcefields on if you got enough fuel rods), or denser power cells to go along with vehicles that use way more energy, or maybe just machines that use a lot of power like the drills i mentioned above, or metal refinement
  • lanereed01lanereed01 Pennsylvania Join Date: 2018-09-04 Member: 243285Members
    edited September 2018
    I think there should be a vehicle upgrade for scanning fragments so you don't have to get out of it and freeze to scan them.

Another vehicle upgrade that heats up the water arround it. (Mk 1=10 meter radius, mk 2=25 meter radius, and (maybe a bit excessive, but Mk 3=50 meter radius))

A new biome called freeze vines (arctic version of creep vines) with freeze vines (darkish blue creepvines), and freeze bulb clusters (light blue bioluminescent bulbs on freeze vines). Also with some new creature ideas for that biome.

Freezit crab (arctic version of a hermit crab) that is a darkish blue crab with 4 light blue bioluminescent eyes (so you can distinguish it from the freeze bulbs, because the freeze bulbs have 5 bioluminescent bulbs, when the crab has 4) that act as a camoflauge in a freezebulb cluster, and when it's legs wrap arround the freeze vine near a freeze bulb cluster, it will look like a freezebulb cluster, but when you get close to it it will pinch you.

Also another predator that is called the froze walker (arctic version of the stalker) Idk what it does.

Another biome called the frozen pass (arctic version of the sea treaders pass)

With a creature called the freeze treader (arctic version of the sea treader), because who doesn't love them.

Edit: also since there is ice you should slide after you stop walking, but to fix that you need spiked boots or spiked fins, (but boots are faster, because fins are hard to walk in)
    So boots are faster on land, but slower in water, and fins are slower on land, but faster in water
    Nice ideas @lanereed01 you should make your own discussion about those. Idk if u have already
  • LapisWhovianLapisWhovian The Lost River Cove Tree (The base with the moonpool) Join Date: 2018-08-22 Member: 242976Members
    Cyclops Camouflage Upgrade
    You, uh, you've heard of Silent Running, right?
    Cyclops Camouflage Upgrade
    You, uh, you've heard of Silent Running, right?

Well, this one is... better? It makes it completely invisible, but when your moving it looks obvious and they can attack.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    How about a giant plastic bubble that gives you 100% immunity?
    hah, I said "D L C"
  • Rho17Rho17 México Join Date: 2018-07-12 Member: 242131Members
    edited September 2018
    lanereed01 wrote: »

Another vehicle upgrade that heats up the water arround it. (Mk 1=10 meter radius, mk 2=25 meter radius, and (maybe a bit excessive, but Mk 3=50 meter radius))

In my opinion this is kinda unrealistic, since the game tends to have some realistic phisics just ask to yourself. How much energy would you need to keep a 10 meter radius of water warm?.
    Lets say water its a 0°C, you have a circle of 10m wich is a 314.159 m2 area, now... hot water due lower density tends to rise up, so lets put a height of warm water starting from the vehicle as a colum of 5 meter before it cools down. That gives a volume of 1570.8 m3 wich translates to 1.570x10^6 liters (1,570,800 liters)... now we all know that you need roughly 1 cal to heat 1 mL just 1°C... ok? so in order to heat 1.570x10^6 L (1570800000 mL) from 0°C to a comfy 18°C so you don't freeze to death and, oversimplyfing things you'd need roughly 32883.1272 kWh to heat that water, now lets say that it takes 2 seconds from the water at the bottom of the imaginary cylinder to rise so you need to heat a new volume. So for one minute of comfy warm water you would need 986493.816 kWh. In comparison 1 litre of diesel-oil gives off around 10,0 kWh. Now scale that to 25 and 30 meters and that calculation goes off the chart.

TLDR: You need massive ammounts of energy to heat water, I think doing a device that does it would be unrealistic, its just easier to scan things/pick up things and go back to your (maybe) isolated sub is easier.