Organised 8 vs 8 play? Welcome to the SCC.

KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
Hey folks,

The SCC (Spark Crafter Collective) is starting up organised 8 vs 8 play on Monday nights starting at 20:00 CEST beginning this Monday (the 23rd). Some of you may already know us for our custom map nights on Sundays and our mod games on Fridays.

All players are welcome, but we do ask that you have a microphone and use it. Skill level is irrelevant but an ability to listen and respond to calls is needed, all games will be moderated by server admins to try to keep everything fun, fair, balanced and non-toxic to the best of the admins abilities.

You are free to join us on discord here - https://discord.gg/Mf4QTnY

We will likely use the above to communicate with all people present, but in-game comms will also be used for in-game calls etc.

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    It should be noted that it's a EU based server. Generally everybody is welcome, though.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Vetinari wrote: »
    It should be noted that it's a EU based server. Generally everybody is welcome, though.

Aw dang, my ping to EU is too high for me to put up with /cry

Hopefully it takes off and becomes popular enough for you guys to open a US server also.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    MoFo1 wrote: »

Hopefully it takes off and becomes popular enough for you guys to open a US server also.

You need the "advantage", don't you?
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Aeglos wrote: »

Actually it's the exact opposite.. I don't want to play with an advantage... and I feel like I'm cheating when my ping is over 200ms...

What's with the unnecessary hostility?
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't want to play with an advantage... and I feel like I'm cheating when my ping is over 200ms...
    That should be fine. Although this event is open to all skills, without a doubt it will attract very high skill players more than not. If you think it is an advantage, it will help you in a good way then. You won't be rookie stomping.

Actually it's the exact opposite.. I don't want to play with an advantage... and I feel like I'm cheating when my ping is over 200ms...

What's with the unnecessary hostility?

What? You claim that

a) High ping is an advantage
    b) You are not a good player

Hence, it balances out doesn't it? Suits you perfectly.

Also, I highly doubt that US to EU servers give you 200+ ping. Have you even tried joining any or do you just cherry pick the highest ping instead of the average to make a point?
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Reminder. This starts in 1 hour guys!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have about a 180-220 ping depending on the location of the server in Europe. I am am about as far west on the west coast US as one can get.
    Kasharic wrote: »
    Hopefully it stays seeded until around 6pm pst.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2018
    im at work, pfft shit time choice OP. GMT+10 cant take time off work, u chose that time because you scared of getting smashed aye boyo :p
    Nordic wrote: »
    I have about a 180-220 ping depending on the location of the server in Europe. I am am about as far west on the west coast US as one can get.
    Kasharic wrote: »
    Hopefully it stays seeded until around 6pm pst.

Where is that? And you do know that the ping displayed on server browser is higher than in game ping right?
    edited July 2018
    Below are my pings when my internet is good. Sometimes I have horrible ping jitter that can add 50 more ping. 180-220 was browser ping values, but I don't usually look at the ping once I join the server. I also just moved here from a little more inland in the western US. I actually had worse pings at my old location because of such bad routing.
    h40NYjN.jpg
    Jp31HnU.jpg
  • AmarHanosciaAmarHanoscia Stuck in Mezza Join Date: 2014-03-09 Member: 194609Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    Below are my pings when my internet is good. Sometimes I have horrible ping jitter that can add 50 more ping. 180-220 was browser ping values, but I don't usually look at the ping once I join the server. I also just moved here from a little more inland in the western US. I actually had worse pings at my old location because of such bad routing.
    h40NYjN.jpg
    Jp31HnU.jpg

Yeah, so extreme west to extreme east (Russia) and you barely hit 200. My point proven, thanks.

Bad routing sucks, but somehow I don't think that's the case for Mofo.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Yeah, so extreme west to extreme east (Russia) and you barely hit 200. My point proven, thanks.

Define "bad routing".
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    So how did it go?

We were about 8-9 guys I think that were somewhat communicating that were on discord, on the server 2-3 individuals that were not on discord that used the mic in game and the rest were silent.

Hoping that we get enough to have 16+ guys who would join on discord we might have a server where most guys on the server are willing to communicate.

Apart from 1 guy that got either kicked or banned (don't remember which it was) cause he didn't behave appropriately it was a pretty nice.

Define "bad routing".

As I was the one with very bad routing, I will explain. I had at least a ping of 145 to anywhere east of the rockies because it had so many hops. My internet would travel through 45-60 hops before getting to the server. It was often better getting to europe. At my current location I now have <20 hops to just about any server in the US. I just tested. I just tested a tracert to Wooza's server and it was 30 hops from here.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    As I was the one with very bad routing, I will explain. I had at least a ping of 145 to anywhere east of the rockies because it had so many hops. My internet would travel through 45-60 hops before getting to the server. It was often better getting to europe. At my current location I now have <20 hops to just about any server in the US. I just tested. I just tested a tracert to Wooza's server and it was 30 hops from here.

I'm at 20 ~ 25 hop max to any destination in the world. Even to some "restrictive countries".

For you 45-60hops, is more likely a problem than "bad routing". I mean it's usually automatic whatever the protocol. Even using satellite link may be better. I doubt that nobody saw that as it is always tied to costs for an ISP.

Maybe some cable is cut somewhere and the packets are taking another route which is longer (in term of hops). The thing is if it last long... Maybe somebody didn't see the alarm. Or forgot to set up the alarm...

• HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    These routing problems originate often from money issues.
    Taking a bad "route" might be cheaper for a company because other owners of certain cables want more money (including the fact that other cables broke down)
    Handschuh wrote: »
    These routing problems originate often from money issues.
    Taking a bad "route" might be cheaper for a company because other owners of certain cables want more money (including the fact that other cables broke down)
    In this case it's 35 more hops than the usual max. Usually it's kind of exceptional to go over 30. I mean i have to specifically ask for a newspaper website in Australia to get the count.

60 hops tells me it's not about money but competence.

No ISP (or transcontinental operator) wants more hops as it means more router/DWDM hardware and DataCenters/sea pod.... which cost a lot more money than bandwidth. Like huge piles of money : infrastructure, insurance, cooling systems, local regulations, Energy, deployment, sea deployment and international laws and so on... Welcome mr headache.

The longer the reach (the cable) the better for any player in the business.

An old study but i bet it still accurate for today.

• KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    The Second 8 Vs 8 Organised Play Event On The SCC Server Starts Tonight At 20:00 CEST.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    60 hops tells me it's not about money but competence.
    Just saying we had this in the EU after some cables broke down, the ISP used "cheaper" routes... giving EU ppl 300ping to RU for example ^^

Going live in 45 minutes for those that want to join!