Steam overlay in Linux

mockmock Germany Join Date: 2014-03-28 Member: 195015Members, NS2 Playtester
Hej guys,

I am unable to get the steam overlay working. Works fine in every other game, just not in NS2. Any suggestions?

Comments

• rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's been disabled a couple of builds ago, I don't know the exact reason but yes, please bring it back! I can't even add a friend on Steam if I see a good player. My only option is to go to the recent players list and try to find them there and that's hard because the ingame name and the Steam one is often very different. It's also impossible to check the Observatory page from inside the game and so on.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited July 2018
    I thought I saw someone (new player) stream with Linux and Steamoverlay some time ago? Cannot remember the name.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Do you also play on Linux? It's a linux-specific issue, it was causing some troubles before like freezes when you scroll web content inside the overlay. I managed to "unfreeze" the game by attaching to its process with GDB and then detaching. IIRC, the freeze was inside the OpenGL SwapBuffers call or something like that, i.e. at the frame present function.
  • mockmock Germany Join Date: 2014-03-28 Member: 195015Members, NS2 Playtester
    Could any of the devs reply to this, plz? Is it coming back, or not!?
  • JovenJoven Join Date: 2018-07-17 Member: 242262Members
    I need to post so tag this off topic but i got no sound at all in ns2 now for no reason... every time i exit it "crashes" and the logs say "couldn't loud sound _every sound_".... Verified game files and still that.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    1) Instead of posting on another thread you can just make a new thread
    2) make a screenshot since messages need to be precise... otherwise your info might be to vague

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/how-to-make-a-good-tech-support-post-read-me-first#latest
    (Not sure if techsupport.exe works when quitting the game, but worth a try?)
  • FortyBotFortyBot Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187321Members
    Doesn't work for me either, please add it back.
  • mockmock Germany Join Date: 2014-03-28 Member: 195015Members, NS2 Playtester
    So, dear devs, this isn't even worth mentioning in the known issues section of the change log?
  • Falc7Falc7 Join Date: 2018-09-10 Member: 243458Members
    Not working for me either unfortunately
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I spoke with you in our discord server already, but for others : it is known and will be worked on. No ETA as of now though, as there's no clear solution.

https://trello.com/c/AuUGkXqp/943-321-linux-steam-overlay-not-working
    Have you tried contacting Valve directly? There was an issue with the overlay in another game, it worked but the mouse behaved weirdly (the overlay only registered click if the mouse was moving). The developer asked Valve for help and they together managed to fix it. It can also be a bug in the overlay itself or Valve can implement a workaround for NS2. I think it's in their best interests.
  • hadacehadace Join Date: 2018-02-18 Member: 237869Members
    duh,
    would be great to having steam overlay also on linux