Very frequent crashes to desktop

glutenfreeglutenfree Join Date: 2018-07-05 Member: 241933Members
edited July 2018 in Technical Support
Hello all, especially devs if you see this,

I'm having a serious issue that prevents me from playing the game properly:

Each time I play the game, after roughly 30 to 40 min, the game will always crash to the desktop. I will always have the same error pop-up: "Crash dump upload failed: Failed to open/read local data from file/application", screencap here. This seems to be related to the upload of the crash report itself, which somehow returns an error every time.

My rig is perfectly capable of handling the game (I can provide specifis if nedeed, but in short: good GPU(4Gbs RAM) and CPU, 16Gbs of RAM), I am however using a R9 290X GPU which as I have read can cause problem because of issues with AMD drivers. I am currently using the 18.4.1 driver which isn't the most up to date one, but is the one I have to have if I want to be able to play Subnautica because of issues with the most recent drivers.

Maybe this is related, but I'm experiencing similar crashes in Subnautica, only more frequent (sometimes as soon as 10min in the game), and without the error message pop-up. Just a straight Crash To Desktop without any message.

Anyhow, you can find a game and a crashHandler log attached with this post, and I can provide a tech support .zip file if needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's near impossible for me to play the game without crashing during a round. With more than 700hours on the game, that's a real pain.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Hi @glutenfree , please find "TechSupport.exe" in your "Natural Selection 2/x64" folder, run that, save the zip, and upload it for us here.
  • glutenfreeglutenfree Join Date: 2018-07-05 Member: 241933Members
    edited July 2018
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    @glutenfree Hmm I'm not able to see your system specs in that report. Did the output of TechSupport.exe say something about not being able to run dxdiag?
    edited July 2018
    @BeigeAlert I generated a new tech support file right after a crash. Here's what the log says.

If the dxdiag.txt file is supposed to show my specs, something's wrong because the file is empty. Just in case you still don't have them, here's:
    - My CPU,
    - My GPU,
    - My system informations (excuse the french).

Hope that helps ! I also actually realized I only have 8Gbs of RAM, not 16 has I previously said.
    Hi @glutenfree could you please run dxdiag and send me the output? (WIN + R to open "run" menu, then "dxdiag". You should see a "save all information" button on the first screen.

Also: please find your Natural Selection 2 app data directory (type "%appdata%/Natural Selection 2" into an explorer window's address bar), and see if you have a file in there called "lastcrash.dmp". If so, please send that to me as well.
    @BeigeAlert I gave you the mentioned info in a PM.

Thanks a lot for actively trying to resolve this, especially during a week-end :smile:
    After exchanging PMs with BeigeAlert, the issue is still unresolved because I am not able to get a proper crash report. I have the same issue with Subnautica minus the crash report problem, I'll post in the proper forums about it and hopefully if both issues are related it can be resolved.

I'll update this post if that's the case.
    Issue resolved, it's my GPU overheating really bad.
    Awesome! Thank you for posting the solution!
    I'm sure you already know this: but try cleaning all the dust out of your case and off of your fans, see if that helps. Also, if you're overclocking it... well... don't. :)
    edited July 2018
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Awesome! Thank you for posting the solution!
    I'm sure you already know this: but try cleaning all the dust out of your case and off of your fans, see if that helps. Also, if you're overclocking it... well... don't. :)

I actually had done a full dust cleaning of my computer (and GPU), all the while using custom setting to set my GPU fans at 100% past 60°C. But I still had the issue, and that's why I thought the GPU wasn't part of the problem.

I eventually saw that my GPU was still always heating up to >80°C before crashing. So I set up an <b>extreme</b> fan system to cool it down, with basically the GPU fans at 100% at all times, and the computer case opened with an extra big ass fan pointed at the GPU. That worked.

So yeah, I guess my GPU cooling system is malfunctioning, I'll have to change it eventually. Anyhow, thanks for all the help :smile: