Survivor's Lifehacks

LavLav Minsk, Belarus Join Date: 2018-06-18 Member: 241524Members
Share what tricks you have found to make your life easier.

My two cents:

1. A non-standard use for Industrial Lights blueprint: it's visibly directional so you can place it in caves as direction markers - and they make fantastic ones too, much better than pathfinder tool if space constraints allow. And it's first component is glass, which you're unlikely to have when exploring, so no resources spent. I've used this trick to great effect when exploring Mountain Island's caves.

2. Less useful one: game actually allows transmutation of quartz to titanium at 2:1 rate. No idea when it would be useful, but it's possible. Just find a strange doll: it's construction cost is 1 glass and 1 titanium, and it can be scanned afterwards for 2 titanium gain. >:)

Comments

• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    If you angle your seamoth towards the ground and press space and W, you can go a whole lot faster.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2018
    When under attack by a leviathan using your seamoth or seaglide, go straight towards it at stop speed and at the last moment strafe any direction (up/down/left/right), circle strafing the bastard, so it cannot grab or slap you around. Also they like fish...
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited July 2018
    Fish grown in the aquarium are passive towards you upon release (they still attack vehicles, this is most likely a glitch). This can be used to your advantage as you can breed bonesharks and use them for protection. Not only that but you can use Stalkers to help collect metal salvage. From what I seen, where ever you released the stalker is their "nest" and this nest is where they will bring metal salvage to.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Recursion wrote: »
    If you angle your seamoth towards the ground and press space and W, you can go a whole lot faster.

Not sure, but it might be possible to tri-chord as well (turn slightly and also press A or D) for even faster speed (like in Descent).

I haven't used this trick, but DIsinfected water, besides having a greater volume of H2O, can also be "stored" at half inventory cost if you store it as Bleach. So a locker full of Bleach will produce 2 lockers full of Disinfected Water.
  • Hunter387Hunter387 Join Date: 2018-07-01 Member: 241853Members
    Fish grown in the aquarium are passive towards you upon release (they still attack vehicles, this is most likely a glitch). This can be used to your advantage as you can breed bonesharks and use them for protection. Not only that but you can use Stalkers to help collect metal salvage. From what I seen, where ever you released the stalker is their "nest" and this nest is where they will bring metal salvage to.

Uhh are you sure I hatched a crab squid and as soon as I released it almost killed me.
  • panderggbpanderggb louisiana Join Date: 2018-07-08 Member: 242015Members
    In the earliest part of the game when copper is in short supply but batteries are needed you can make repair tools with cave sulfur, rubber, and one piece of titanium, each one of which will have a 100% battery inside it you can strip out leaving you free to use your copper for computer chips for your bigger projects. Just make sure to save a couple of cave sulfur for later just in case.
  • LavLav Minsk, Belarus Join Date: 2018-06-18 Member: 241524Members
    panderggb wrote: »
    In the earliest part of the game when copper is in short supply but batteries are needed you can make repair tools with cave sulfur, rubber, and one piece of titanium, each one of which will have a 100% battery inside it you can strip out leaving you free to use your copper for computer chips for your bigger projects. Just make sure to save a couple of cave sulfur for later just in case.
    Heh, I'm usually short on sulfur at start: those crash fish are like on every corner when you don't need sulfur, but all of them suddenly disappear when you do. :-)

Another trick I picked from world record speedrun video: assign mouse upwards wheel scroll to "Use". Then you can insta-crack resource deposits by scrolling your mouse wheel (of course, you also need to deassign mouse scroll from "next item" option or there will be issues). Tried this trick once and never even thought to go back to old way.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Hunter387 wrote: »

Uhh are you sure I hatched a crab squid and as soon as I released it almost killed me.

yes, I'm sure, I have done this multiple times and they don't attack me. they do still attack your vehicles though. If it was attacking you outside your vehicle then it is a glitch.
  • Hunter387Hunter387 Join Date: 2018-07-01 Member: 241853Members
    Hunter387 wrote: »

yes, I'm sure, I have done this multiple times and they don't attack me. they do still attack your vehicles though. If it was attacking you outside your vehicle then it is a glitch.
    Ok cool I saw that and I was like really my poor cuddle fish died in Vain...
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    An important survival life-hack is to always keep front-of-mind the very high calorific value of a sautéed Cuddlefish.
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    @Hunter387 they damage you when you release them for some reason, but otherwise they won't attack.