What are all the possible tweaks?

UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
I'm wondering if we can changes a lot of things concerning balance. usually we see armor/ health stuff.

I'm looking for this:
Can we change the base speed and how it grows depending on the upgrade or wall jumping ? should we add code or not ?
Can we change the economy res income ?
Can we Modify those values during the game depending on another element ? Like biomass; the number hives gives the max value etc.

Then on the next level
Can we modify the life / death process ? Recently we saw that skulks can re spawn with upgrades already given (if available of course).

If someone have a complete list of what we can change and what those things do.... please post.

Comments

• KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    If you know how to mod... literally anything in the game can be changed.

Look at mods like -

Combat
    Faded
    Infested Marines
    Rebirth
    Assault
    Skulks with Shotguns
    Last Stand

There are many more than the above, but I thought that was enough to demonstrate my point.

All of these are accomplished simply by modding the game files... Literally ANYTHING can be done.

So the list you're looking for can be located in your ns2 installation directory.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    This is not helping.

Yes I know I can modify the files. But there are 841 files in the LUA directory only. Plus there are "variable files" (like balance) and some other with functions (doens't look like classes to me i stick with "function").

Any documentation would be useful.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Almost all the "game logic" of NS2 exists in lua, and all of that lua can be modified. Some changes are much easier than others. Changing the health and armor of a life form is just a single line, while changing the way biomass works could require altering multiple files.

To answer your specific questions:
    Can we change the base speed and how it grows depending on the upgrade or wall jumping ? should we add code or not ?
    Base speed of what? The infestation rate? Yes you have to modify the InfestationMixin:GetInfestationGrowthRate(). Not sure what you mean by wall jumping, but you probably could detect if a skulk is wall jumping on infestation.
    Can we change the economy res income ?
    Yes, very easily. Look up some of the resource numbers in Balance.lua such as kPlayerResPerInterval.
    Can we Modify those values during the game depending on another element ? Like biomass; the number hives gives the max value etc.
    I think the kHiveBiomass value in Balance.lua is what you're looking for here?
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    This is not helping.

Yes I know I can modify the files. But there are 841 files in the LUA directory only. Plus there are "variable files" (like balance) and some other with functions (doens't look like classes to me i stick with "function").

Any documentation would be useful.

You asked what can be changed... I told you... if you want me to be more specific, you're going to have to be WAY more specific with what exactly you're wanting to change.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Kasharic wrote: »
    Literally ANYTHING can be done.

WHERE'S MY KILL-CAM?! :trollface:
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2018
    .trixX. wrote: »
    Kasharic wrote: »
    Literally ANYTHING can be done.

WHERE'S MY KILL-CAM?! :trollface:

Back of the line buddy, where's my purple pants for my Fade? 2012-2018, still these Fades are walking around like a bunch of nudist!

Also the best way to figure shizzle out in the lua of NS2 is to try stuff out and be on the lookout for comments in the code. Bye the way, wasn't there some kind of rudimentary coding guide on the old NS2 wiki, why is the new wiki so incomplete?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Nintendows wrote: »
    Almost all the "game logic" of NS2 exists in lua, and all of that lua can be modified. Some changes are much easier than others. Changing the health and armor of a life form is just a single line, while changing the way biomass works could require altering multiple files.

To answer your specific questions:
    Base speed of what? The infestation rate? Yes you have to modify the

Tank you for this answer.

The speed I'm talking about is the speed between walking and running, AFAI remember : 6 and 7.
    As you probably know the skulk have a speed plus an extra that is built upon a specific maneuver. You can go up to 11 if it's done properly. I suppose it's a base number + and extra that is calculated. That's the easy part.

This raise a question for this specific item. Is it a number like a limit (no more than 11) and the bonus is built inside a mechanic that is entirely hidden (not possible to 'invoke') in the engine guts ? OR is it some dedicated code that has to be modified ? Therefore accessible for modding non the less.

That raise another question that will allow to work faster. Is there a way to track & find those things ? Is there a dedicated IDE to use ?

If you're familiar with IDEs and you know Eclipse for example, you probably know this. When pressing CTRL and the mouse cursor is hovering some name or type, a popup menu opens and you can "open implementation" or "open declaration". This is really useful.

The goal is to have the maximum information so I won't ask anything again as i can be more autonomous. At least make the maximum research by following the bread crumbs before asking.

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited July 2018
    The dedicated IDE is Decoda, included in the SDK... to be honest, it's rather spartan. Code-completion/hinting is non-existent, you have to search in files.

I've tried to use IntelliJ's community IDE with a LUA plugin, and it did offer at least limited code-completion.

BUT, that's only true if you import the ns2 lua files. Also, Spark is exposing an API to the LUA VM, and you will never be able to get those methods, unless you write out the stub files manually.

TL;DR: If you want to mod in any meaningful way, you'll have to spend a few months learning about the codebase, as others have suggested before.