Update 323 - Shadow Onos Roars into Play - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited June 2018 in NS2 General Discussion

imageUpdate 323 - Shadow Onos Roars into Play - Natural Selection 2

There are pros and cons to having a longer patch cycle. In this case, our reason for delay was out of our control. However this ended up allowing for a...

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • AmarHanosciaAmarHanoscia Stuck in Mezza Join Date: 2014-03-09 Member: 194609Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    omg looks massive. My steam just began downloading 2.3 GB :smile:

Thanks for the update guys, you awesome
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2018
    **The buy HERE link won't work until 10 am PDT time because we're waiting on Valve's approval of the DLC.**

The changelog was big enough, we didn't want to flood it with more pics, but here's just a small example of what some of the updated art asset stuff looks like. There's more examples of what the improved reflections did, but i'll leave that to you all to find in game. Edit: these improvements come at no additional cost to performance. Just the one time increased install size that came with this patch.
    6GhB9fF.jpg
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    IronHorse wrote: »
    **The buy HERE link won't work until 10 am PDT time because we're waiting on Valve's approval of the DLC.**

The changelog was big enough, we didn't want to flood it with more pics, but here's just a small example of what some of the updated art asset stuff looks like. There's more examples of what the improved reflections did, but i'll leave that to you all to find in game.
    6GhB9fF.jpg

You should mention that these visual improvements do not lower your fps / need more performance
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    This patch is too awesome. Could the devs please stop doing such awesome work? I don't think my heart can handle it.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Nordic wrote: »
    This patch is too awesome. Could the devs please stop doing such awesome work? I don't think my heart can handle it.

Pfffft, fanboi :trollface:
  • g|e|orgeg|e|orge Join Date: 2007-09-09 Member: 62224Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Onos
    focus ability doesnt effect gorge spit anymore ? :(
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    g|e|orge wrote: »

This is a bug, its been reported, hopefully it will either be hotfixed soon.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »

While UWE has made numerous mistakes and questionable decisions, this patch is beautiful. I am really excited to go play with this new sound system.
  • clowningclowning Join Date: 2003-11-15 Member: 22956Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2018
    "The game now has a ‘RepairGame.exe’ utility in the ’x64’ sub-folder. This can be used to fix common issues clients may encounter. It will delete your Workshop and Cache folder contents, as well as deactivate any mods in your options.xml file and then validate your files the next time the game is run."

THIS IS HORRIBLE. I can't describe how bad this is. A number of us have old crosshair workshop mods that are no longer available and can't be redownloaded. My game crashed, as it does, and it deleted my workshop folder...
    Luckily I had my workshop folder backed up, but having this delete the folder by default is absolutely terrible.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    g|e|orge wrote: »
    This should be fixed now through our UWE extension mod that applies to every server.
    Sorry about that!
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    So much to like about this update, particularly the ranking system, ping numbers, and the auto evolve upgrades, but a few things are concerning as well...

Lerk being invisible while flying at full speed with celerity feels like it should be insanely op against people with inferior monitors or those who haven't tweaked their graphics to make the game fugly so they can spot cloaked aliens... haven't really had a chance to see it or use it yet though.

Vampirism is awesome, but first impressions left me wondering if it might be a tad wee bit op.. rushed the marine main base and was able to rack up between 10-15 kills while they spawned and phased back to try to kill me... was it due to vampirism or hilariously bad marine aim?

Gorges fell like they've been hit with a mega sized nerf bat... Tunnels taking over twice as long to build is bad enough, but this change also means that it uses HALF YOUR ENERGY to get a tunnel built (way too much).. no silence will insanely but back on the number of sneaky tunnels in its own since you can hear the gorge building it from 2/3 rooms away (or more depending on the map)

Also heard multiple people complaining that adrenaline is now useless on gorge as it doesn't regen energy anywhere near fast enough. .. guess I'm lucky here as I always went celerity gorge...
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gorge Tunnel change: so far so good

Silence removal: please bring it back :wink:

Forge weapons: the rifle shows up as a unrendered black gun (shrug)

Crashes: probably due to my new AMD Vega. Happens on map load usually. When it restarts NS2 it deselects mods and some weapon skins and that seems to work

Skill tier is neat but I would rather a color-coded ELO number.

Increased Lerk Cost: NOOOOOOOOOOOO

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    This patch is amazing. I knew about some of the stuff, but it is still so much more than I was expecting. Great work all around!
    clowning wrote: »
    "The game now has a ‘RepairGame.exe’ utility in the ’x64’ sub-folder. This can be used to fix common issues clients may encounter. It will delete your Workshop and Cache folder contents, as well as deactivate any mods in your options.xml file and then validate your files the next time the game is run."

THIS IS HORRIBLE. I can't describe how bad this is. A number of us have old crosshair workshop mods that are no longer available and can't be redownloaded. My game crashed, as it does, and it deleted my workshop folder...
    Luckily I had my workshop folder backed up, but having this delete the folder by default is absolutely terrible.

Why don't you just put it back on the workshop?
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice, but why is the shadow onos not im my inventory? i thought shadow supporter get it for free
    Rammler wrote: »
    Nice, but why is the shadow onos not im my inventory? i thought shadow supporter get it for free

Its in my inventory. Maybe check again?
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    I look forward to returning!
  • jonvalljonvall Join Date: 2003-03-19 Member: 14691Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I thought I bought the "Reinforced Shadow Tier" as I have the "Reinforced" shoulder patch and I have a "Shadow Skulk" ......but I think I'm mistaken. Now that I look I can see the purple icons next to some names while I have the gold icon.

Am I correct in thinking I didn't buy the correct tier to receive the shadow skins?
    jonvall wrote: »
    I thought I bought the "Reinforced Shadow Tier" as I have the "Reinforced" shoulder patch and I have a "Shadow Skulk" ......but I think I'm mistaken. Now that I look I can see the purple icons next to some names while I have the gold icon.

Am I correct in thinking I didn't buy the correct tier to receive the shadow skins?

That is correct, you got the gold tier, which is not the shadow tier that provided the shadow skins.
    If you provided me with your steam64 id on the side (use steamidfinder.com) I could tell you when/how you got the shadow skulk. (probably the market)
    Rammler wrote: »

Try it again by looking at your customize player menu in game.
    If you still don't have it, PM me with your steam64 id and I can take a look.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    We pushed a small client update that fixed the Skulk wall-jumping sound balance problems. We're still investigating the problem where connecting to a server with a custom map or mod you've subscribed to sometimes results in a files mismatch error.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

While UWE has made numerous mistakes and questionable decisions, this patch is beautiful. I am really excited to go play with this new sound system.

I hope you know I'm jerking all the chains :D
    edited June 2018
    I hope you know I'm jerking all the chains :D

I do, but...
    5mb3y5p84otr.png
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2018
    Does anyone get framerate drops and microfreezes (which is essentially the same)? I'm playing on The Thirsty Onos daily and noticed this, especially when a lot of action happens. Before today's patch it was all smooth. This could be because of mods but it's hard to find a vanilla server with enough players to test it. Note, that this might not be a Linux-only issue as some other players had this on Windows as well. And it's not map-specific I think, had it on a bunch of standard maps this evening. I noticed these messages in the console and log:
    INFO: Adjusting LuaJIT settings: maxtrace 25000(25000), maxmcode 41000(40000)

Might be related. And also this (just once on map change I think):
    [7698.786] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: lua/LocalTalkExtended/GUIVoiceChat.lua:246: attempt to index a nil value
    [Client] Script Error #1: lua/LocalTalkExtended/GUIVoiceChat.lua:246: attempt to index a nil value
        Call stack:
        #1: Update lua/LocalTalkExtended/GUIVoiceChat.lua:246
            self = GUIVoiceChat { }
            delta_time = 0.071376167237759
            time = 0.6049171090126
            local_client = nil
        #2: Update lua/GUIManager.lua:285
            self = GUIManager { }
            deltaTime = 0.071376167237759
            numScripts = 26
            allowedUpdatesForDefaultUpdateInterval = 46.394508704543
            numDefaultsUpdated = 10
            now = 0.6049171090126
            (for index) = 13
            (for limit) = 1
            (for step) = -1
            s = 13
            script = GUIVoiceChat { }
            isDefault = true
            dt = 0.071376167237759
        #3: lua/GUIManager.lua:387
            deltaTime = 0.071376167237759

On the bright side, I noticed one more fix that's not mentioned anywhere: it's now possible to easily mutate inside the tunnel. Before I had to find the spot where it's possible, it was very frustrating. Now I can get upgrades or evolve into a gorge (for a base rush) right inside the tunnel.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    the new sound values are stupid you removed silence but gimped the sound in game it is so muffled and a clear disadvantage, cant even hear skulks running anymore down most corridors from 1 room away but its so random that it works under various instances, and clowning is right it shouldn't delete your workshop folder what the heck?

please fix these large issues.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Archie wrote: »
    the new sound values are stupid you removed silence but gimped the sound in game it is so muffled and a clear disadvantage, cant even hear skulks running anymore down most corridors from 1 room away but its so random that it works under various instances, and clowning is right it shouldn't delete your workshop folder what the heck?

please fix these large issues.

As stated above, that was a bug, and it's since been fixed.
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2018
    ill check tomorrow, if you lie, i keel u!! nighty night its 7am i cant sleep on how bad those games were lastnight haha
    Archie wrote: »
    ill check tomorrow, if you lie, i keel u!! nighty night its 7am i cant sleep on how bad those games were lastnight haha

Wait just one blooming minute here...

You've got a ship?
  • ServilcatServilcat Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4897Members
    So even more of a asymmetry between the two sides removed?

Focus and Silence are meant to be strong upgrades; what makes them a hard choice is the power of the upgrades they should be exclusive with.

It seems like every version seems to bring us closer to the same two teams fighting one another, which is exactly the opposite of what made NS popular in the first place.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Servilcat wrote: »
    So even more of a asymmetry between the two sides removed?

Focus and Silence are meant to be strong upgrades; what makes them a hard choice is the power of the upgrades they should be exclusive with.

It seems like every version seems to bring us closer to the same two teams fighting one another, which is exactly the opposite of what made NS popular in the first place.

I don't see how being able to one hit kill marines makes this game more asymmetrical. You can still go silent by pressing shift.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Vetinari wrote: »
    You can still go silent by pressing shift.

Oh really? Can you now?

I would love for you to show me how to heal/build silently as Gorge by pressing shift..

That was the #1 best use for silence = silent Gorges.

They claim it was removed because silence was too frustrating to play against... Yet cloaking is infinitely more frustrating. I never ever cared about silent aliens when on marine, but when they have cloak I just give up because I can't see them with my crappy monitor.