Where does the player get his dive mask?

Aurora_SurvivorAurora_Survivor Naperville Illinois Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234809Members
We all know that the AEP suit is designed for a multitude of environments including space, in the teaser trailer for Subnautica you even see the player take off his helmet. But then why does it look like a SCUBA mask?

Comments

• closesttundra27closesttundra27 indpendance,KY Join Date: 2018-06-01 Member: 241046Members
    i guess in subnauticas timeline technology evolved to where humans can make suits like this fit into one small suit, so i guess the scuba mask in the future would work the same in space
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    The teaser was made long before anything for the game was finalized. So trying to draw canonical lines from this trailer isn't the greatest idea.
  • Aurora_SurvivorAurora_Survivor Naperville Illinois Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234809Members
    Skope wrote: »
    The teaser was made long before anything for the game was finalized. So trying to draw canonical lines from this trailer isn't the greatest idea.

It what was the evidence I had to draw conclusions for a logical explanation.
  • JudasFmJudasFm Japan Join Date: 2018-06-15 Member: 241438Members
    The real question is, did they expect to go diving? Because if they did, then there may be a diving-related explanation for this as well. For anyone who's never been scuba diving, you get pressure on your ears as you go down, just like when you take off in an airplane. If you can't clear the pressure (equalize), then you can't dive.

One of the most common ways to equalize is to pinch your nostrils shut and try and breathe out through your nose, as this basically results in squirting air out your ears. This is why real scuba masks are soft and rubbery and not hard and plastic; it's so the divers can pinch their noses easily, and when you dive deep enough for the water pressure to press the mask against your face (around 15-18 meters for me) the soft rubber molds to your skin better instead of digging into it.

There are other ways to clear it, but if Alterra expected to send people into the oceans, it makes sense that they would give them the most suitable equipment.

Just my two cents :smile: