Most Dangerous Biomes: Dunes or Dead Zone?

Aurora_SurvivorAurora_Survivor Naperville Illinois Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234809Members
The Dead Zone and the Dunes biome is some of the most terrifying and dangerous biomes in the game. Any player who enters regardless of skill or equipment is certain to meet a gruesome end. Which do you think is the most terrifying biome of the two that not even for 100 nutrient blocks you would never go near.

Comments

• AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    The dead zone, specifically because the idea that thousands of meters below is a dead wasteland of only microscopic and leviathan lifeforms.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Unlimited supply of big bastards trying to slap you around... I rest my case :D
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Dunes is not that tough if you're in your Seamoth. Just stay close to the bottom and keep your ears open and you can avoid the Reapers easily enough. That said, I don't go there if I don't have to.

The Dead Zone/Void is objectively terrifying, not just for the monsters but because everything goes black when enter it. I've developed an aversion to that particular shade of blue that lets me know I'm getting close to it.
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    The Dead Zone is unbelievably terrifying. The Dunes are manageable; a repair tool, hull reinforcement, and a perimeter defense system should do the trick, and it isn't that dark. The Dead Zone, however, is a deep dark pit of death that is even scary enough to freak out nearly everyone who enters.
  • StormShockerStormShocker Join Date: 2017-08-27 Member: 232676Members
    edited May 2018
    We I originally started to play subnautica and had no idea about the deadzone I went into it not know about the danger and then I almost jumped out of my seat because the giant f****** leviathans that live there. So defiantly deadzone. May we also consider ghost leviathans if not 2, 3 or 4 four shot cyclops’s
  • BigGrayGolemBigGrayGolem Lima Peru Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240304Members
    I don't think it's a contest; Dead Zone for the win.

Noob question though: does the Dead Zone have a bottom? Or do you just fall out of the world if you go far enough?
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members

Noob question though: does the Dead Zone have a bottom? Or do you just fall out of the world if you go far enough?

It is bottomless.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »

It is bottomless.

Technically, yes it has no bottom, but there is no way to legit reach that far without dying or spending hours building an elevator downwards. It is meant to have a bottom, but you're not meant to see where it should be.
  • BigGrayGolemBigGrayGolem Lima Peru Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240304Members

Maalteromm wrote: »

It is bottomless.

Technically, yes it has no bottom, but there is no way to legit reach that far without dying or spending hours building an elevator downwards. It is meant to have a bottom, but you're not meant to see where it should be.

Thanks, and sorry for accidentally hijacking the thread. Bad forum etiquette on my part.
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    The moment I get to the dead zone. I turn right around. It's... Too much darkness.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Crewman87 wrote: »
    The moment I get to the dead zone. I turn right around. It's... Too much darkness.

Last time I saw you in the Dead Zone, you were looking a tad bit blue around the gills :trollface:
    Thanks, and sorry for accidentally hijacking the thread. Bad forum etiquette on my part.
    No worries man, it was a legit question regarding one of the biomes in the poll.

@AnomalyDetected
    I'm aware of that, but I think his question was a technical one.
    Roleplay wise it certainly has a bottom, plus when I imagine it the walls aren't so vertical.
  • JustAHatJustAHat Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240316Members
    Dunes: Reapy bois who will give you a hard time
    Dead zone: bois that boop and you just fall, then you get teleported to the safe shallows, so, meh, dunes is more dangerous cause of that
    JustAHat wrote: »
    Dunes: Reapy bois who will give you a hard time
    Dead zone: bois that boop and you just fall, then you get teleported to the safe shallows, so, meh, dunes is more dangerous cause of that

2aarc1.jpg
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    The Dunes aren't too difficult to navigate, there's plenty of small boltholes that you can dive into to evade the reapers if necessary. If travelling in a cyclops, stay at a low speed and switch the engine off if the reapers get close enough to show on radar.

The Dead Zone? Screw that.
  • FlametuskFlametusk Sparse Reef Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235582Members
    Dunes. It's easy to avoid the dead zone. Less so to avoid the Dunes.

Also, the DZ has a bottom for a short distance around the perimeter of the volcano. And the crater is actually at a slope. It's just that it's about 271° for a large part of it. It does eventually get noticeable, though. Honestly, though, for me now the Underwater Islands are the worst, due to a ghost leviathan migration from the Blood kelp.
    I had a small heart attack in the dunes recently. Exploring a wreck, circa half oxygen meter and a reaper decided to play with my seamoth. I just heard it being grabbed, had to rush out of the wreck to chase the thing with my sub in its mouth.

I'm with @Flametusk. DZ is scarier, but unless you go chasing after danger it doesn't pose any threat. Dunes are also skippable, but I believe most people want to explore the map and, unlike the DZ, the Dunes are an actual part of it.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    ˢᵃᶠᵉ ˢʰᵃˡˡᵒʷˢ
    Very dangerous
  • Aurora_SurvivorAurora_Survivor Naperville Illinois Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234809Members
    There is a large wreck in the dunes biome but tge devs should SERIOUSLY put some loot in that wreck that makes it worth to sneak through countless warpers and reapers. There is actually an abandoned PDA in that dunes wreck so if you are a completionist when it comes to games it seems inevitable that you will have to brave the dunes biome to get it.