Cyclops "Dock"

elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
I've seen some people mention that they build a dock for their cyclops, but I'm not sure how this is accomplished.

Tell me your favorite setups!

Comments

• MazzyMazzy Australia Join Date: 2018-03-11 Member: 238890Members
    edited April 2018
    67z7xtjohxkr.jpg
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    I've seen some people mention that they build a dock for their cyclops, but I'm not sure how this is accomplished.

Tell me your favorite setups!

At least the Aliens got the concept of a large bay right.

• BigGrayGolemBigGrayGolem Lima Peru Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240304Members
  • BigGrayGolemBigGrayGolem Lima Peru Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240304Members
    edited April 2018
    In the builds above, I put a station around the platform largely to assist in finding it at night (hard to see the flat platforms on the water's surface without indicators). That's also why there are lights. Inside the station is a nuke reactor used to power the lights and the four power cell chargers. Below each dock area is another platform to "catch" the Prawn suit so it lands right below the Cyclops. This makes it easier when bring the Prawn suit back and loading it, since you just move onto the platform and hit the thrusters; that will align it with doors automatically.

Obviously this has bells and whistles. My original dock, earlier in the game when I had less resources, was just a single set of platforms and one platform below for the Prawn catch. No lights, no power, etc.
    Although, one time my dock had an uninvited visitor:

xfy3bi09rdus.jpg
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    Wow that is really neat. I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks! :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2018
    Would be neat if they added an ability to actually dock the Cyclops to a top hatch.
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    Just make a U-shaped structure out of Hab hallways, and then place a single extension coming out of the middle of the U so that it's like an E and place an upwards-facing hatch there; which should be directly beneath the hatch on your cyclops if it were to pull into the dock. Then, you could get all fancy with glass so that you can observe your cyclops in its dock.
  • UnyccUnycc Join Date: 2018-04-29 Member: 240422Members
    My idea for the game would be a pipe that automatically connects to the exit hatch of the cyclops so you have a direct connection to your base.
    Unycc wrote: »
    My idea for the game would be a pipe that automatically connects to the exit hatch of the cyclops so you have a direct connection to your base.

Agree. Ideally, the Cyclops should have a side hatch just for docking. That lower deck is largely useless, so adding a base docking chamber would be useful.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited May 2018
    At one time there was a card on Their Trello board indicating that They were investigating the possibility of creating a way to dock the Cyclops at a base.
    It involved connecting at the nose and going forward through the lower hatch bay.
    Essentially giving the Cyclops a double forward/down hatch.
    B)
  • Goldengoose7Goldengoose7 California USA Join Date: 2018-04-26 Member: 240346Members
    In the builds above, I put a station around the platform largely to assist in finding it at night (hard to see the flat platforms on the water's surface without indicators).
    Obviously this has bells and whistles. My original dock, earlier in the game when I had less resources, was just a single set of platforms and one platform below for the Prawn catch. No lights, no power, etc.

Cool!

What is the actual name of the piece you are using for the floating surface in the list of base building materials? I am not sure if I have a piece in my inventory that looks like that at the moment.

Thanks in advance. :)

In the builds above, I put a station around the platform largely to assist in finding it at night (hard to see the flat platforms on the water's surface without indicators).

Cool!

What is the actual name of the piece you are using for the floating surface in the list of base building materials? I am not sure if I have a piece in my inventory that looks like that at the moment.

Thanks in advance. :)

It's the "foundation" unit. When you place them near the ocean floor, they sprout legs, but if you place them high enough, they just float. Either way, they still provide base strength. I think you build them with ti x 2 and li x 1.
  • joe121181joe121181 Australia Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240593Members
    A solar dock that charges or keeps you idle Cyclops charged would be great. I keep returning to cyclops with flat batteries.
    joe121181 wrote: »
    A solar dock that charges or keeps you idle Cyclops charged would be great. I keep returning to cyclops with flat batteries.

I bet you have power cell and/or battery chargers in your Cyclops. That drains the battery when you're out, and even if you power down. When I moved my power cell charges to the dock's base, rather than inside they Cyclops, that problem went away. You really shouldn't charge anything from inside the Cyclops.
  • joe121181joe121181 Australia Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240593Members

I bet you have power cell and/or battery chargers in your Cyclops. That drains the battery when you're out, and even if you power down. When I moved my power cell charges to the dock's base, rather than inside they Cyclops, that problem went away. You really shouldn't charge anything from inside the Cyclops.

I don't charge anything in my Cyclops. I charge in my base that has several thermal plants to provide energy.

Twice when I have returned to my Cyclops after missions I have found it to have zero charge on all cells from 80% -0% after about 20 minutes idling. I got attacked by a monster last night and had one cell with 60% left and managed to limp back to base.

I don't charge anything in my Cyclops. I charge in my base that has several thermal plants to provide energy.

Twice when I have returned to my Cyclops after missions I have found it to have zero charge on all cells from 80% -0% after about 20 minutes idling. I got attacked by a monster last night and had one cell with 60% left and managed to limp back to base.

OK, it's something else then. You may have traveled in Silent Running mode, which continues to drain power like mad even if you are idle. Before you leave the Cyclops, be sure to shut down silent running first, then the engine.

• elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    @joe121181 That's weird, I've never had that happen (outside of lava larvae). I'll have to try leaving Silent Running on even when I power down and see what happens, because even leaving the inside and outside lights on doesn't drain the batteries.

Either that or you Cuddlefish have been abusing the fabricator while you were away...
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    I see tiny Cuddle fish babies in his future... <3<3<3
  • nightfox2nightfox2 Join Date: 2020-04-29 Member: 260476Members
    Can the devs actually try and add this again cause it seems most of our ideas or wasted here we say what we want and they will never listen there main focus is on below zero and the never even finished the first game!
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Subnautica is complete as far as features go. It does need more bugfixing, and they are working on that. They upgraded to unity 2019 to help some bugs, but that created new issues for them to work through.