Radiation around non-exploded Aurora?

FlametuskFlametusk Sparse Reef Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235582Members
It's in the most recent stable release, and it was in Freedom mode. Started a new game, haven't used any console commands, and was killed on the first day by radiation when swimming towards the Aurora. So, uh, don't know if this is a bug or not, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Comments

• Number35Number35 Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224491Members
    That sounds normal. The radiation stays there and will go away once you Repair the generator room with the repair tool (Generator room can be found inside the Aurora).

Try reading this to this if it helps: http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Radiation
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    If I'm correct, there is supposed to be some radiation before the Aurora explodes, once the Aurora explodes it just means the radiation zone is bigger now. I also notice in the past that the radiation zone slowly gets bigger over time. As I have been near the edge of the radiation zone, then I went backwards a bit, waited 5 seconds, and I was in the radiation again even though I didn't move. This doesn't last forever though, it will stop spreading, eventually, but yeah, in general, this isn't a bug.
  • InvertedDestinyInvertedDestiny United States Join Date: 2018-04-02 Member: 239712Members
    Would assume radiation before the explosion at least story wise. It's a giant space ship that crashed and has radioactive drive cores. Radiation leaks out.
  • FlametuskFlametusk Sparse Reef Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235582Members
    But then why would you only get the radiation suit blueprint when the ship explodes?
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    The blueprints for your PDA got corrupted. This is why important things like the seamoth need to be unlocked. The PDA is also able to create blueprints based on the environment. So when the Aurora explodes it creates a radation suit blueprint that uses material in the environment. As to why it doesn't do this until the ship explodes, idk, probably just done to make people more likely to explore the ship
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    This is not a bug.

Radiation is meant to be there, as the drive core is breaking. It expands slowly before exploding to it's post explosion space. (Unless it stopped expanding.)

The radiation suit is unlocked because:
    The blueprints for your PDA got corrupted. This is why important things like the seamoth need to be unlocked. The PDA is also able to create blueprints based on the environment. So when the Aurora explodes it creates a radation suit blueprint that uses material in the environment. As to why it doesn't do this until the ship explodes, idk, probably just done to make people more likely to explore the ship
    (I totally stole their explanation.)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    The rad suit couldn't be corrupted, or you wouldn't be able to get it without scanning or downloading a blueprint to fix it. Remember, your PDA draws from the environment and your situation to give you blueprints and for your safety this setting can't be overridden blah blah?

In other words, your PDA didn't think you needed a rad suit (what, are you planning on making a nuke or dirty bomb or something?!). When the Aurora blows, the PDA is obliged to give you the blueprint, to ensure your safety.
  • DreadgeNoughtDreadgeNought Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238486Members
    It also makes sense that you are not by accident far too close when it DOES go off,

as you cannot get inside til it lights off and if you were like right under it helping yourself to batteries or salvage like I would be doing . . . . well, it does harm you if you are close and underwater.

If "That" close with that 10 seconds warning going off?
    'ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

XD
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    There didn't used to be radiation close to the Aurora before the explosion. I remember tooling around the thing front to back with my Seaglide, but I definitely can't do that these days.

Being too close to the Aurora when it explodes can definitely kill you. I've been in the water just by myself and died, and another time I was in my Seamoth. The explosion destroyed my Seamoth and almost killed me, but it took a minute for the radiation to get to that point.

I've also built bases too close to the Aurora before the explosion and had them slowly overtaken by radiation. That was neat, though it just meant I had to wear the rad-suit inside, too.
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    If I'm correct, there is supposed to be some radiation before the Aurora explodes, once the Aurora explodes it just means the radiation zone is bigger now. I also notice in the past that the radiation zone slowly gets bigger over time. As I have been near the edge of the radiation zone, then I went backwards a bit, waited 5 seconds, and I was in the radiation again even though I didn't move. This doesn't last forever though, it will stop spreading, eventually, but yeah, in general, this isn't a bug.

I agree, there is automatically some radiation around the Aurora.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    edited April 2018
    There's been radiation around the pre-explosion Aurora since I started playing back in early 2017. I think the rad suit was locked because frankly if you are able to go to the area near the Aurora before it explodes, you can give yourself a pretty big headstart on day one. After all, it's what I used to do. Ahh, the days of crafting 3 batteries and 1 power cell, max...