Seaglide? Aside from a headlight, what good is it?

Goldengoose7Goldengoose7 California USA Join Date: 2018-04-26 Member: 240346Members
I recently started playing this game, and just crafted a Seaglide.

Wondering what the purpose of this thing is? It doesn't move me any faster than my guy can swim on his own, and it uses batteries to power it.

So... Just curious if I am missing something here, or if this vehicle is kind of the running joke in the game? (A waste of time and resources and better left off your inventory)

Based on the obvious redundancy of the Seaglide... Are all the vehicles in this game of equally questionable value? (Cyclops etc.) Just wondering if these are assets worth working towards, or if your character on his/her own can get around just as well without any of them. ??

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2018
    Except it is a lot faster than your guy can swim, it is in fact quite a noticeable boosts to you mobility even, not sure what you're on about... Just go to the bottom of an area and count how long it takes for you to get back to the surface with and without it :) I kinda find it a bit odd you think the light is it's upside, I mean the light is acceptable when you have the room to use it. However it's also is very annoying when you're in closed in spaces. For example inside wrecks, you're better off with the flashlight.

To go deeper you are required to get the other vehicles and upgrade them. It goes a little something like this:
    • Seaglide, the additional speed boost gives you a bit more time underwater and increases the area you can explore based on your oxygen availability
      • Oxygen tanks and upgrades also help you out here
    • Seamoth,
      gives you a mobile oxygen source and is a neat speedster to go from A to B etc... Which in combination with better oxygen tanks and the seaglide also extends your dive depth and exploration range based on oxygen
    • Cyclops,
      is required to go deeper than the Seamoth. It can also function as your mobile base for food/farming, storage and is your main carrier for either the Seamoth or Prawn
    • Prawn,
      is your deep sea explorer and resource gatherer or can be used as a makeshift "combat" exosuit
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited April 2018
    Well the Cyclops is required to beat the game. Infact it is the only vehicle that must be crafted to beat the game. You can skip every other vehicle by using bases and other exploits speedrunners do.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited April 2018
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited April 2018
    No, kyanite can be found in single pieces inside the lava castle. So the prawn is still optional
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • zontwitchzontwitch Canada Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238022Members
    Well the Cyclops is required to beat the game. Infact it is the only vehicle that must be crafted to beat the game. You can skip every other vehicle by using bases and other exploits speedrunners do.

The Cyclops gives you a mobile staging ground but if you know what you are doing and looking for then all that you need to finish the game is your Prawn. Tell me exactly why the Cyclops is necessary to beat the game; don't say batteries because you can carry spares.
    edited April 2018
    Well it is required if you are not going to daisy chain bases into the depth of doom, like some kind of silly git :D Right... RIGHT?

It is absolutely required if you want to play the game in style by driving your pimp ride into the deep!
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    zontwitch wrote: »

The Cyclops gives you a mobile staging ground but if you know what you are doing and looking for then all that you need to finish the game is your Prawn. Tell me exactly why the Cyclops is necessary to beat the game; don't say batteries because you can carry spares.

Getting crap out of your PRAWN's saddlebags feels incredibly melty.
  • Goldengoose7Goldengoose7 California USA Join Date: 2018-04-26 Member: 240346Members
    edited April 2018
    Thanks for the replies you guys, and also the spoiler warnings. :) Although I kind of already know what goes on in this game as I have watched a few videos about the end-game aspects etc.
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Except it is a lot faster than your guy can swim, it is in fact quite a noticeable boosts to you mobility even, not sure what you're on about... Just go to the bottom of an area and count how long it takes for you to get back to the surface with and without it :) I kinda find it a bit odd you think the light is it's upside, I mean the light is acceptable when you have the room to use it. However it's also is very annoying when you're in closed in spaces. For example inside wrecks, you're better off with the flashlight.

I just based the speed on how fast I can circle one of the smaller islands or the Aurora. The terrain of the island for example moves by at the exact same speed when I am just swimming on the surface as when I am being towed by the Seaglide. I see no difference in the travel time at all.

Is there a BOOST button or something that I am not aware of? I am using my XB1 Elite Controller on my gaming PC and basically just push the left stick full forward. That is the only speed control I am aware of.

I have tried other buttons at the same time, but found nothing to produce a boost or any other notable increase in speed over the top speed of my guy alone just swimming on the surface or diving down or back up.

That is why I posted this thread. Before I used it for the first time, I was expecting a very obvious travel time advantage, and presently I am not finding any at all.

The Headlight is obviously an improvement, as mentioned in my thread title. But so far, that is all I see as an advantage/difference over just swimming normally.

I'm happy to read that the Cyclops does indeed provide some real tangible advantages for the player over not using a vehicle.

Increased dive depths being one that I would assume based on this thing being a submarine. I was hoping at some point to discover deep underwater crevasses and perhaps something on the order of "Black Smokers" on the ocean floor at serious depths.

It would suck if the developers didn't put some hyper depth related stuff in the game that can only be reached with the Cyclops.

So I did a very simple test here

1004m -> 1064m

~6s - Seaglide with Ultraglide Fins
    ~6s - Seaglide no fins
    ~9sec - Ultra glide fins
    ~14sec - No fins
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    edited April 2018
    You don't need the Cyclops or the Prawn to beat the game.
    You need the 900 meter depth upgrade for your Seamoth, one Ultra-high capacity O2 tank, and a couple of ion cubes. I'm probably forgetting something, but those are the important bits. Oh, and lots of water. Assuming you have your thermal blade, you can snack along the way. Stasis gun is useful in case a Sea Dragon catches you.

Go to that biome with the hole that goes straight to the Active Lava Zone, the one with the juvenile ghost leviathan guarding it. Park your Seamoth somewhere safe on the edge of that hole, then get on your bad Seaglide and ride!

You can easily make it to the power plant and gather kyanite by hand, go back to the surface using the portal and craft a second blue key. From the power plant, you can also easily make it to the Primary Containment Facility, and you know how it goes from there.

It's a fun challenge, but I usually build all the vehicles anyway, because that's fun, too.
    @Goldengoose7

When you're moving past terrain out in the open, I know it can seem like you're not moving much faster with the Seaglide than just swimming, but trust us, it's faster. Like @Kouji_San suggested, time it going from the bottom to the surface, just watching your oxygen gauge.

There's also encumbrance to consider. The more stuff you're carrying, the slower you go. This may not be obvious in the early game when you don't have as much gear, especially the big O2 tanks, but it is a thing that happens and the Seaglide helps overcome that.

Oh, and no, there's no boost.
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    Thanks for the replies you guys, and also the spoiler warnings. :) Although I kind of already know what goes on in this game as I have watched a few videos about the end-game aspects etc.
    Kouji_San wrote: »

I just based the speed on how fast I can circle one of the smaller islands or the Aurora. The terrain of the island for example moves by at the exact same speed when I am just swimming on the surface as when I am being towed by the Seaglide. I see no difference in the travel time at all.

Is there a BOOST button or something that I am not aware of? I am using my XB1 Elite Controller on my gaming PC and basically just push the left stick full forward. That is the only speed control I am aware of.

I have tried other buttons at the same time, but found nothing to produce a boost or any other notable increase in speed over the top speed of my guy alone just swimming on the surface or diving down or back up.

That is why I posted this thread. Before I used it for the first time, I was expecting a very obvious travel time advantage, and presently I am not finding any at all.

The Headlight is obviously an improvement, as mentioned in my thread title. But so far, that is all I see as an advantage/difference over just swimming normally.

I'm happy to read that the Cyclops does indeed provide some real tangible advantages for the player over not using a vehicle.

Increased dive depths being one that I would assume based on this thing being a submarine. I was hoping at some point to discover deep underwater crevasses and perhaps something on the order of "Black Smokers" on the ocean floor at serious depths.

It would suck if the developers didn't put some hyper depth related stuff in the game that can only be reached with the Cyclops.

I'm pretty sure the seaglide doesn't work if you are at the surface of the water, if that's what you mean. Anywhere under 1 meter should work fine. Also, you have to press the left stick forward for it to work, it doesn't work if you use bumpers. It's slightly annoying that it takes up 6 slots, but you won't regret it when you are trying to escape from some of the monsters that lurk within the depths of Subnautica. Hope this helps.
    edited April 2018
    Oh yeah, and @VectorMaster22 is right in that it doesn't work if you're swimming on the surface. You can see that the propeller blade stops spinning. I forgot about that, and it may be the source of your confusion.
    edited April 2018
    Not sure, but does it also have an impact on the oxygen tank your wearing or how much inventory you have on you? As in the bigger the tank or the more stuff you're hauling, while not using the Seaglide, slows you down significantly?

If not, this would be a neat addition for Hardcore mode. And has probably been suggested by others :D

@Goldengoose7 Keep an eye on your radio in your lifepod, it sends you out to areas to explore and progresses the story lines as well. You will have to go much deeper eventually and encounter all kinds of awesome and terrifying stuff. I won't go into the the ins and outs, as that would be spoilerish :D
    Here is a simple test showing the player local speed of using fins versus the Seaglide. https://youtube.com/watch?v=cFxY4esSjEI
  • Goldengoose7Goldengoose7 California USA Join Date: 2018-04-26 Member: 240346Members
    edited April 2018
    Thanks guys. I can see that it doesn't actually spin the prop when you are on the surface even though you are still moving forward without moving your arms. KInd of strange behavior and yes... This did add to my confusion since I assumed the thing worked as long as you had the left stick full forward.

The oxygen use is definitely less when you use this thing as opposed to swimming.

Still.. It isn't all that much faster than just swimming without it. You can see this easily by just stowing it away and watching the surface below you moving. Then equip the Seaglide again and see if things speed up in any significant manner.

Makes sense that if you are carrying a bunch of heavy stuff, then it should be faster than trying to swim up or down. My inventory is almost always full or close to full, so not sure how heavy the common stuff is compared to what may be waiting down the road?

I think the oxygen use difference is really the most beneficial aspect of using this as opposed to it making any significant impact on how long it takes to travel from A to B with and without it equipped.

I know it didn't help me get away from a Ghost Leviathan a little while ago. I had the throttle pegged full forward and I still could not outrun the thing any better than I could by just free swimming in the opposite direction. ;) Plus there ended up being (3) of these things and they seem to just appear out of nowhere in front of you. :/

I'm definitely checking the radio every time I return to the pod or after seeing that radio graphic appear on the HUD. I have already repaired the Aurora's Drive System and stopped the radiation while also getting the Prawn Suit blueprints . Visited two islands and activated and passed through the teleporter linking the two islands, been through that Alien structure and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm about 20 hours in at this point. Would like to get all the Cyclops BluePrints so I can try using that. Still working on getting the Seamoth and Prawn Suit too.

I haven't used any walkthroughs. Just kind of feeling my way through everything as it presents itself.

The game definitely reminds me of No Man's Sky more than any other similar game. The materials collection approach and stuff like that. Even the various modes of play are similar.
    Still.. It isn't all that much faster than just swimming without it. You can see this easily by just stowing it away and watching the surface below you moving. Then equip the Seaglide again and see if things speed up in any significant manner.

If you watched my short video then you'll see that the Seaglide is nearly 70% faster on average than using fins. I'll trust the F1 Info console any day over my own relative visual perception.
    edited April 2018

If you watched my short video then you'll see that the Seaglide is nearly 70% faster on average than using fins. I'll trust the F1 Info console any day over my own relative visual perception.

Are you playing the latest Beta? I am because for some reason Steam refuses to download version 85 to my PC, leaving me on version 84 and claiming it to be the latest update available.

So, I have been playing the experimental Beta since day 2 of my playthrough. Maybe my guy's swimming speed is bugged somehow giving me a much faster swiming speed than normal?

When I do what you did in that video, there is no change in velocity at all. This could be why I don't see any speed improvement, cause my guy can already swim as fast as the Seaglide can move. ???

__buildnumber.txt > 1485
    __buildtime.txt > 4/19/2018 2:12:59 PM

Wearing Reinforced Dive Suit, Ultraglide Fins and Ultra High Capacity Air Tank (though I also tried the Lightweight High Capacity Air Tank as well).

Just pushing forward on my joystick.

I even tried sprinting while in water (which only works out of water).
    Can't really outrun any of the leviathan predators when it comes to sheer speed. You get away because they don't exactly turn on a dime, so in the time it takes for them to swing around and come after you again, you can get out of their aggro range.

Also, doing any damage to them, even just a strike from a knife, will send them fleeing for a few seconds, and that'll give you a window of opportunity to escape.

Oh, and you encountered all those Ghost Leviathans because you went off the edge of the map, into the Void. They'll spawn there and come after you. Otherwise, there are only a couple of them on the regular map, and never more than one at a time.
    edited April 2018
    "Still.. It isn't all that much faster than just swimming without it. You can see this easily by just stowing it away and watching the surface below you moving. Then equip the Seaglide again and see if things speed up in any significant manner."

How far away is this surface you're using as a reference? This is very relative to your observation of speed difference...

I still don't understand your point as it is blatantly obvious it is quite a bit faster... Heck the moving a distance 60 meters I tested on the fly and get there 3 seconds earlier. That is in fact quite a significant difference in speed...

If you truly want to test this, find yourself some Crashfish and try to get away in a straight line with and without the thing. Trust me, you'll get the message :D Heck the most obvious way to test the speed is by launching yourself out of the water with the Seaglide. You can get a lot of airtime compared to almost no airtime with just your fins and close to no airtime without any fins... I honestly don't get it why you aren't able to see the speed difference, unless you're sitting way too far away from you TV screen 39.gif And even then, it is way too obvious not to notice...
    Starting to feel like we're being trolled.
    edited April 2018

@zontwitch
    you need the cyclops so you craft the rocket as a cyclops upgrade is used to build the rocket
    __buildnumber.txt > 1485
    __buildtime.txt > 4/19/2018 2:12:59 PM

Wearing Reinforced Dive Suit, Ultraglide Fins and Ultra High Capacity Air Tank (though I also tried the Lightweight High Capacity Air Tank as well).

Just pushing forward on my joystick.

I even tried sprinting while in water (which only works out of water).

I just aquired the SeaMoth Sub.. NOW we are talking!

This thing can really move and is much faster than my guy can swim. And I have seen a speed advantage using the SeaGlide to get to the surface fast from depths of 100m or more.

The speed at which the terrain passes by you is just not accurate in this game, so as you guys mentioned earlier, you can't use that as a measure of how fast you are moving.

I see that there is a MOD for your fins to make them perform better. What does that do to the SeaGlide vs Swimming difference?

edited April 2018
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    Starting to feel like we're being trolled.

You're not being trolled. I got engrossed in playing the game after my last post here and just now got back on to read any additional posts in this thread.

No worries. :) My questions and observations are real, and I really appreciate all the useful input you guys are providing me!

I do the same nearly every day on the Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky forums, since I have years of playtime invested in ED and a couple of thousand hours into No Man's Sky between my PS4 and PC versions.
    edited April 2018
    elfcrisis wrote: »
    Can't really outrun any of the leviathan predators when it comes to sheer speed. You get away because they don't exactly turn on a dime, so in the time it takes for them to swing around and come after you again, you can get out of their aggro range.

Also, doing any damage to them, even just a strike from a knife, will send them fleeing for a few seconds, and that'll give you a window of opportunity to escape.

Oh, and you encountered all those Ghost Leviathans because you went off the edge of the map, into the Void. They'll spawn there and come after you. Otherwise, there are only a couple of them on the regular map, and never more than one at a time.

Thanks for that info! I was wondering where the end of the map was and how you would know. So I guess you could say that those Ghost guys are the game's equivalent of a barbed wire fence? ;)

• VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    Thanks guys. I can see that it doesn't actually spin the prop when you are on the surface even though you are still moving forward without moving your arms. KInd of strange behavior and yes... This did add to my confusion since I assumed the thing worked as long as you had the left stick full forward.

The oxygen use is definitely less when you use this thing as opposed to swimming.

Makes sense that if you are carrying a bunch of heavy stuff, then it should be faster than trying to swim up or down. My inventory is almost always full or close to full, so not sure how heavy the common stuff is compared to what may be waiting down the road?

I think the oxygen use difference is really the most beneficial aspect of using this as opposed to it making any significant impact on how long it takes to travel from A to B with and without it equipped.

I know it didn't help me get away from a Ghost Leviathan a little while ago. I had the throttle pegged full forward and I still could not outrun the thing any better than I could by just free swimming in the opposite direction. ;) Plus there ended up being (3) of these things and they seem to just appear out of nowhere in front of you. :/

I'm definitely checking the radio every time I return to the pod or after seeing that radio graphic appear on the HUD. I have already repaired the Aurora's Drive System and stopped the radiation while also getting the Prawn Suit blueprints . Visited two islands and activated and passed through the teleporter linking the two islands, been through that Alien structure and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm about 20 hours in at this point. Would like to get all the Cyclops BluePrints so I can try using that. Still working on getting the Seamoth and Prawn Suit too.

I haven't used any walkthroughs. Just kind of feeling my way through everything as it presents itself.

The game definitely reminds me of No Man's Sky more than any other similar game. The materials collection approach and stuff like that. Even the various modes of play are similar.

I'm thinking it over in my head, and yes, it might be a bug. The seaglide doesn't work very well if you are looking straight down. Creatures like the ghost leviathan and the reaper are very hard to outrun, I mean, outswim. However, the seaglide helps to escape sand sharks and stalkers, along with other small predators. Also, its helpful if you are going through a very warm biome, and you don't have the proper protection.
    i.e., lava zone.
    edited April 2018
    Since I have no frame of reference being new to the game, I have no way of knowing what is normal and what might be bugged. I am toying with the idea of doing a re-install of the game for a few reasons. Primarily because my Steam Client refuses to update my vanilla version to 85.

As far as trying to escape the bad guys goes... I have had limited success so far. The SeaMoth I just picked up is definitely more effective at getting out of dodge in a hurry...

But even something like the SeaMoth is no match for this guy! Hands down one of the most frightening and believable in-game monsters I have ever seen in a video game!

t6e94eibjgbk.jpg
    vparzt1tpkf8.jpg
    o4qbu7827l9a.jpg

Crushed my SeaMoth like an egg a few seconds after that last image was taken. In fact, you can see two vertical cracks forming in the cockpit glass, which fractured a few seconds later.

WOW! That thing is nasty! And they appear to be all over the place in my game now! This encounter happened right off the tip of the big island near the Alien MegaStructure.