ns2_fusion

Comments

• MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for the feedback.
    1. Marine start should have 2 natural RTs that can be reached within 10 seconds of running. The left RT (Servers) is 11 seconds away, which is fine, but the right RT (Upper Passage) is 18 seconds away. Consider moving the right one closer.
    I'm definitely thinking of moving the node from Upper Passage back into Lower Passage, though I haven't decided exactly where I'll be placing it.
    2. Alien start should have 2 natural RTs that can be reached within 10 seconds for a gorge. The left RT (Transfer) is 10 seconds away, which is fine, but the right RT (Crevice) is 8 seconds away. Consider moving the right one farther.
    I have some plans (thanks to @Kasharic ) on how the node placement could be improved. At the moment, the right side of the map can only be accessed through Dice, Observation & Upper Passage. So if the aliens hold their naturals & push down to Unloading, they're holding 5 nodes that can be easily defended. To address that I'm thinking of moving the Turnip node to the top of the Cascade stairs.
    3. It's very Alien favored to have a vent Marine Start, especially one that a single marine cannot get into. A good example is ns2_veil - Control Room, which has no vent and is very balanced. But then looking at ns2_descent, which has a vent in every tech point, is very Alien favored.
    I'm not sure about this lane+vent. I don't think I've heard too many complaints about it and it is used by the aliens.. But it's a vent into the marine start.
    4. There are only 9 RTs on the map. Less RTs means it takes longer to get upgrades and higher life forms. And it means both teams will be heavily dependent on claiming RTs, and if one team has 4 or 5 and the other has 3 or 4, it is very difficult to recover and have a comeback. A good example of a map that has too many RTs and the effect of it is ns2_tincan_station. It has 12 RTs. Both teams are able to get their full upgrades very fast, and if losing, can still survive by finding 4 or 5 RTs until they can have a comeback.
    I'm not really planning on adding more nodes to the map. Fusion used to have 10 nodes (there was a node in Storage) but I'm happy with it being at 9 and I don't think I'll be taking it back up to 10.
    5. May want to consider the main Alien hive layout to be more arc friendly.
    Is there a particular reason that you think the hive should be made more siege friendly? It's currently very vulnerable to on-foot pushes.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2018
    I've put out a new build.
    - The Turnip node is now at the top of Cascade.
    This will make holding the right side of the map a bit less overpowered and will help Cascade see a bit more traffic.

- The Lower Passage vent entrance has been moved from the top of the wall to the bottom of the wall
    This means that the vent is now accessible to marines & gorges. We'll see how that goes :)

tbhidswpz843.jpg
    036dz8og7a2t.jpg
    admdvwq8oopk.jpg

Because I need to get some data on how balanced the map actually is, I'm going to try to resist the urge to put out any new builds for the next couple of weeks.

It'll be awesome if you can play some rounds on fusion and let me know what you think of it.
    At the moment I believe fusion is on these servers:
    - Spark Crafter Collective
    - Diamondgamers.net (West3)
    - Survival of the Fattest & Survival of the Fattest #RookieOnly 2
    - It's also on Wooza's Playground, though with previous builds having a 90% marine winrate on that server, the community there is a bit reluctant to play it.
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is it OK if i ask why you took slice RT out and are determined to have it at 9 nodes? Just curious.
    G_Lock wrote: »
    Is it OK if i ask why you took slice RT out and are determined to have it at 9 nodes? Just curious.

I removed it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, Slice is at the center of the map, a major chokepoint and close to Turnip (another key chokepoint), which will always make it an important room to hold. Having a node in there meant that whoever was holding it had both map control and a greater res flow, which was a bit too much.
    In the current build (and in a number of earlier builds) Slice is a strong siege location for Fortress. Because Fortress is so difficult to attack head-on it needs to be very vulnerable to sieging. But I don't want Slice to be both a siege location and a resource location, so I removed the node. Though in the current build it's probably easier to say that the Slice node has been moved to Cascade. There's still a node in the center and Slice is still a key choke/siege point, it's just harder to hold both at the same time.

As for the number of nodes. Fusion essentially has a pinwheel layout (like summit) that's been heavily skewed. By default that means 9 nodes. Fusion has had more, but it's difficult to find a spot for a single node that wouldn't give too much power to one of the teams. If I was going to add more nodes I'd probably need to go straight from 9 nodes to 11 nodes.

@Handschuh another point on cover in fusion: A large portion of my approach to balancing fusion has been to let the hallways be good for marines and then add vents/paths to bypass them.
    Until I start trimming those vents and making it easier to lane block fusion is going to be pretty difficult to play in 6v6. Although it isn't being specifically designed as a comp map I'd still like to see it become a functional map for 6v6. Any suggestions on how it could be improved to work better in 6v6 are welcome.
    edited February 2018
    New changes
    - Transfer has been broken into Transfer (Cascade to Observation) & Transition (Storage to Observation)
    Transfer
    7b6c41e66463.jpg
    ii2tlxbxgc79.jpg
    3ecp54r4091n.jpg

Transition
    qogytjvhfhqf.jpg
    cxsh7h9oe2pt.jpg
    c01mc8ur6z2a.jpg

- The stairs to the top of Fortress have (finally) been widened
    h60dcox2wjzm.jpg

- Observation and some of its approaches have been raised a bit to reduce the number of stairs required to get there

[EDIT] The new layout:
    ph16osig9y3m.jpg
    edited February 2018
    Layout
    p5m3e3y5o076.jpg

Changes
    - Some cover was added in Transfer
    k3ojmj3v8sri.jpg
    a6f9fbq6srkf.jpg

- A small hidey hole was added to Transfer (it doesn't actually go anywhere)
    xeku8heabcb7.jpg
    ke55cbumaxjf.jpg

- The Upper Passage node was moved back to Lower Passage
    lwum5s85mkfg.jpg

- The Crevice to Cascade jump is now possible again.

edited February 2018
    New version for testing this week.

Layout
    wcxxl5pptgh6.jpg

- The Vista vent has finally been blocked (!!!)
    leiroi6g23xz.jpg

- Most of the crates have been purged from the map to make the map feel a bit less cramped.
    k53jsyoidk5q.jpg
    z1gcxwylm7bh.jpg

- Crevice node has a bit more space
    5ql74xa6z73p.jpg

- I've raised a few of the ceilings to give the aliens a bit more space to move and hide in
    tt7dbk3xccvf.jpg
    i9wu21ab5b8p.jpg
    mrpds3gych6l.jpg
    lyqqd3un18ro.jpg

Between the crate purge & the raised ceilings I'm expecting this build to be a bit more marine biased than the previous one. I'm going to be re-adding crates & other LoS blocks based on how things go.
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    I really like the ceiling increases, they look natural and should provide some nice cover. Look forward to playing the new build !
    New build
    ufowzd2ijydn.jpg

- Alcoves and a hiding spot in Passage
    v72ga6abfz7r.jpg
    lko9bopkdpsh.jpg

- Raised ceilings in Crevice, Stalk & Observation
    nwpt65z2v4bs.jpg
    u4ce56jx3yl0.jpg

- A vent that runs from Transition to Storage to Fortress
    fp0ayf2luge8.jpg

- Dice has been opened up a little bit & the door to the Dice vent is completely open
    3xidad43cr7j.jpg
    46623p3oi41u.jpg

- There's now a vent from the top of Fortress to Slice - lets see how this plays :D
    64cks884kpjm.jpg
    8ddtfrx1cnmf.jpg
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    I think I'll need to check the map layout later in more detail. I wrote the following text a while ago - but looking a the screenshots I think the basic issues pesist... the lack of cover or hidingspots.

I played only the MarinevsMarine Version yet, but in general you might need to check out maps like veil or tram in detail. Even though some rooms look pretty open in general, it's pretty awesome that there are literally tons of coverspots for aliens to hide. For example, just look at a lerk... if he has 100% visibility while he approaches you and cannot hide behind bars, pipes, whatever there is in order to get somewhat close than you need to implement more.

veil:
    - system for example, you have the upper and lower level, several things to hide behind, you could even hide at the roof to the opposite entrance between west and sub
    - c12 you have the big half circle, the big sheet where you can crouch behind, or on top you can hide well - depending on where the marine is

tram:
    - southtunnels is so fucking open, but yet, you can fly through without getting much damage if you just use the available hidingspots to fly/blink/pass through
    - Ton's of hidingspots in ore, mezz, et, obs, logi.

What I'm trying to say is, that without these small hiding/cover spots the basic maps wouldn't be viable as they are now
    edited February 2018
    Layout
    zv8vhwzccaia.jpg

- Higher ceilings in the hallways around Slice
    32xdfmx9wsld.jpg

- The Crevice node area has been rebuilt. It's more open, but there's a lot of space to move around & hide in (you can get in behind the girders surrounding the reactors)
    0qjrps42cf1m.jpg
    tnfd51rc65q4.jpg

- There's some ceiling cover in Server
    cnzcqqyjo09j.jpg

New fusion

- The back entrance to Vista (that is only ever used for gorge tunnels) has been removed
    - The Fortress & Unloading hives have been rotated so that you can get behind/around them
    - New vent that bypasses the Crevice node room
    - It's finally possible to jump up from Cascade to Crevice (!!!)

Layout
    (the new vent is above the C in Crevice
    wm2gy9uhv66f.jpg

New Vent
    dngggn7rqpnw.jpg
    68zqj9hpq79u.jpg

Missing path
    5cxy75v085ao.jpg
    xa52y6ltv5iq.jpg

Thanks to @pSyk0mAn for some feedback & suggestions

- The crack that bypasses Cascade has been opened up a little bit - It's always been traversable, but hopefully it's a bit more visible now.
    - Storage finally has some cover through the middle
    - The Unloading node is now a lot closer to the hive

Cascade
    hh7b9w9gb0ke.jpg
    prh3xcu2t8uw.jpg
    Storage
    cv651hz7cy5n.jpg
    Unloading
    6bw4a78u4ym0.jpg
    s3pmr6qy6g4b.jpg
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    Would you please consider moving the north tech point to the right so that the hive isn't in front of the doorway?

Also i suggest increasing the height of the fencing in fortress so that you cant gl hive from the left side of the room.
    Also i suggest increasing the height of the fencing in fortress so that you cant gl hive from the left side of the room.

When you get a chance can you take a screenshot from that gl position? That hive has a couple of spots where you can hit it if you're aiming carefully.
    A small, notable, change.

An alien natural, the Transfer node, has been moved into the small room at the top of Transit
    uitq2llj46kn.jpg

I like how the infestation does this :D
    va7pku956jpv.jpg
    edited April 2018
    i think there is a dev texture to prevent infestation spread, could be wrong but worth a look
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    i think there is a dev texture to prevent infestation spread, could be wrong but worth a look

It's called glass. ;) But seriously, there's no texture that prevents infestation from spreading.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

It's called glass. ;) But seriously, there's no texture that prevents infestation from spreading.

then there should be :D
    In an attempt to make Cascade a bit less chaotic, I've moved the Cascade node to Shortcut. And Shortcut has been made bigger to accommodate.
    rmfcob3gm7pu.jpg
    bjf3xpku1jas.jpg
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

The highlight of my ns2 career, I'm glad you got it on video.

Why do you play in windowed mode, though, you monster
    edited May 2018
    Vetinari wrote: »

I had noticed that. It's certainly strange..
    Vetinari wrote: »

The highlight of my ns2 career, I'm glad you got it on video.

When I'm working on the game, I have it in windowed mode, and sometimes I forget to take it out of it. (Sometimes I don't even notice until I'm reviewing these clips!)

I'm working on a new version of the Observation tech point. It's still a WIP
    e3dgtnv7g2y6.jpg
    z2nnje3lfvh8.jpga34p3bcs0h8n.jpg
    6usu7itng9qa.jpg
    Getting there..
    It's almost done. It's in the level but I still need to figure out how to connect it to Transfer & then add occlusion geometry.
    ds8amvlnzajs.jpg
    c27oicumts6v.jpg
    66di798lfcj3.jpg
    czgir37jebwp.jpg
    edited May 2018
    A new version of fusion is out

- Observation has been completely rebuilt
    - The area around the Crevice node is a bit smaller
    - Supports (the location between Crevice & Observation) and part of Transfer has a new ceiling
    - There's now another window into the giant turbine (blame @pSyk0mAn for that idea) between Slice & Cascade

hvmypxbni3ke.jpg
    The new hive
    x3rxy85prx2r.jpg
    vl2g9o9vsv51.jpg
    nl4eyui6uurw.jpg

Looking from Crevice, through Supports & into Observation
    qbqj4abhqfdv.jpg

Transfer
    5h4jq4bkaimh.jpg
    mwtqp0h6nt58.jpg

The new window
    0zn0cw95ugpv.jpg
    75fod8dz7t5j.jpg
    A quick change:

- The left half of Supports has been removed to make it more difficult to siege the Observation hive.
    - The Transfer-Supports vent has been extended and connected to the Supports-Crevice vent.
    x48kgy6dod8a.jpg
    zqdwi21ok8xm.jpg
    The turbine blades turn!
    5kbezj13lgww.jpg
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Mouse wrote: »
    The turbine blades turn!
    5kbezj13lgww.jpg

Seem to be standing still to me :trollface: