VR with touch control full support (Post v1.0 maybe?)

atelescopeatelescope USA Join Date: 2015-11-15 Member: 209259Members
I picked up an Oculus Rift recently and play Subnautica on it. The result was stunning! It was a very immersive experience. I feel the game has huge potential on VR and especially with touch control (would be fun using gestures to knock sandstones, catch fish, cut creepvine, etc.). It probably would be quite a bit of work to make it fully support VR with touch control (currently we have quite a few bugs on VR). But since Subnautica is already a featured game on Steam VR and lots of people see it, I feel perhaps it would be a really nice thing to do to make it full VR supported. Of course you need to think if it is commercially feasible, if the feature would boost sells,... But ya, it would be a very nice thing to have in the future.

Comments

• DredDred Join Date: 2017-10-10 Member: 233493Members
    I concur as well- VR with touch controls would really make this game shine. Please keep supporting VR in general ! :D
  • turtlesamturtlesam Austria Join Date: 2017-10-21 Member: 233648Members
  • DredDred Join Date: 2017-10-10 Member: 233493Members
    PLEASE!- touch control support. It would up the immersion to a brilliantly higher level. Don't forget about vive wands too and WMR down the line.
  • Sparhawk765Sparhawk765 Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238510Members
    Totally agree with this. The game is really cool in VR and the scale of things was breathtaking. But the controls feels a tad clunky. A controller was decent once I got more used to it but it lacks some options. Using keyboard and mouse was way worse and felt very counterintuitive.

I realize with the static placement of the arms this is not trivial, but it would be great.

Currently using a Vive and a Steam-controller.
  • StarmarinerStarmariner United States Join Date: 2018-03-03 Member: 238531Members
    It's very annoying to have to drop out of VR and go to Desktop mode to start the engine on my Cyclops or even change its speed. The Xbox 360 controller can't target the buttons. Also using different coffee options on my coffee machine also requires dropping down to Desktop mode. The Xbox 360 also is annoying to use after you've gotten use to Oculus touch and having both hands free to interact with the environment. There's a bunch more problems trying to interact with in-game objects while in VR. This definitely needs fixing as right now I'd give the game a rating of 2 out of 5 because of this problem were otherwise, I'd give it 5 stars.
  • Sparhawk765Sparhawk765 Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238510Members
    You can switch over to gaze cursor in the options and aim bottom-left of the buttons to activate them. It's def. not perfect but better than dropping out of VR.

The only problem I have with gaze cursor is scrolling, why isnt scrolling with the controller active while in gaze mode? That and the bad alignment on buttons is the only reason I don't use it.

• StarmarinerStarmariner United States Join Date: 2018-03-03 Member: 238531Members
    Gaze cursor helps, but not a complete solution. I still have to drop to Desktop mode to edit the text on a locker, beacon, etc. And the Xbox controller is generally inferior in VR to being able to use the Oculus touch controllers.
  • QboQbo Join Date: 2016-10-20 Member: 223264Members
    Another reason why controller support would help is that, even without full tracked motion controls, it would get you free of the xbox controller cord. Meaning you would be able to turn and move around at least in roomscale, getting rid of the need for joystick turning, which would get rid of motion sickness.
  • RavenBlueFeatherRavenBlueFeather Join Date: 2018-03-12 Member: 238952Members
    edited March 2018
    trying to get my rift controllers and VR to work with Subnautica is like trying to resurrect a zombie Abraham Lincoln
    next to impossible,

too bad Subnautica/UnknownWorlds support ignores these reports and posts
  • RavenBlueFeatherRavenBlueFeather Join Date: 2018-03-12 Member: 238952Members
    I do not see the point in advertising a game as having VR support if it's not fully supported and I feel lied to and betrayed by unknownworlds
    and would ask them to work on this and patch in full VR control and support because this game would have a huge potential
  • ParkinstarkParkinstark United States Join Date: 2018-04-02 Member: 239714Members
    I played it entirely in VR using my Vive and a keyboard + mouse. My biggest complaint is the PDA opening too close to the face and having some UI issues with the Cyclops and mobile vehicle thing. Both would require me to exit and re 'board' the vehicle/machine to get the correct menu placement. I found that by clicking to drive the Cyclops from the maximum distance fixed a lot of my cylclops ui issues. For the mobile vehicle thing I would just have to exit and reenter the thing's ui before it'd give me an actual menu to create vehicles. Beyond that I experienced no discomfort or bugs and found the experience quite enjoyable.
  • DreadgeNoughtDreadgeNought Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238486Members
    Such we have and keep use of 'primary' control features with key buttons and the duel sticks to help with the camera + movement and tool selection, it would be SO AMAZING to have more direct contact with both the environment and the things in it....

(like who wouldn't want to be more directly able to 'play catch' using cameras with Stalkers? eh) :D

Or again to hold onto things when trying to scan something smaller or larger or the likes,
    and doing specific things with more docile creatures you've well tamed over time with fish or such.
    *cannot be the only one who has a fondness for those above said stalker creatures that if could would totally while feeding and teeth collecting like to "pet" and give belly scratches/rubs when let to or such, lolz...

Same for such making all more sapient creatures in the game able to be tamed to some level,
    that with some kind of 'creature tags' thing individuals you interact with more come to ''remember you'' for how you do so if feed them routinely or do things of some kind for them, and in turn don't keep bugging you if you've had to show em you are the boss, eh.

It would all just help further the game so much in great ways that would as suggested help to boost sales for both partnered VRs & for the game as a featured title.
  • QboQbo Join Date: 2016-10-20 Member: 223264Members
    edited April 2018
    All they have to do, in my opinion, is allow the touch/vive controllers to work as a gamepad.

The biggest reason why I don't play Subnautica in VR is that I'm standing there, trying to decide which game to play, and Subnautica is the only one that requires me to plug in a different controller and then juggle VR and non-VR controllers. I can't just jump into it quickly. It takes me to a menu screen that doesn't function. So I play a different game.

Allowing VR controllers as gamepads would also get rid of the wire of the controller and allow roomscale gaming without necessarily using motion controls.

So it would have those 2 effects which would allow the game to take a legitimate place among other VR games. Removing boundaries to starting up the game, and removing hassle from the controller cord while playing.

Allow this game to actually be played like a VR game. Because if I can't jump into it while browsing games, I won't play it often.
  • MithoseMithose Texas Join Date: 2018-05-20 Member: 240835Members
    edited May 2018
    I would really appreciate better VR support that fixed the bugs, especially pertaining to the Gaze Select and interface in general. IMO that should be their priority before they add in touch controller support, however if they did add in touch controllers it would change how you interacted with UI anyways. Really I would just want touch controller so that your arm isn't locked to your head any more and you don't have to look at everything to grab it. It's causing a decent amount of neck strain for me as well as being visually uncomfortable to everything glued to your face like that (I can barely see anything while using the sea glide).

But yeah in general I would really love for the devs to spend more time on making VR better in general and adding touch support because the game feels way better in VR even with these problems, but it makes it kinda hard to love the game when I have to wade through so much BS to get such an immersive and interesting VR experience.
  • djwright539djwright539 UK Join Date: 2021-02-19 Member: 267788Members
    I am sorry but this game is not ready for VR, why are you ignoring your customers and not responding with an answer as to why you are not making it possible. I bought the game for VR and it does not work in VR.