Atlas sub

2»

Comments

• BasileusMaximosBasileusMaximos Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240257Members
    I can see the Atlas coming into use as a "proper" mobile base. Lets face it, the Cyclops is too damn small to be anything other than an intermediary between your home base and wherever your off exploring; you can't properly move into the Cyclops without loosing a bunch of benefits like the radar station or alien containment tank to say nothing of the building space and lack of power.

The Atlas would replace the rocket as the final project; the culmination of everything you have learnt and the payoff you have been working towards and wouldn't end the game. With it, you can pack up your base and be truly mobile. That feeling would be unique in gaming and is something worth doing. It would be nuclear powered as well so it wouldn't need puny power cells.

I'm already very impressed with how they made the Cyclops feel good to use. Usually when games give you control of a large ship you end up feeling disappointed as its usually a lot less fun and practical than piloting a smaller craft (x3, star citizen) or just out and out replaces the need to use other smaller ships. But in this game it feels like a natural extension, perfectly compliment the smaller craft, not making them obsolete while also not being useless.

I'm sure they'll be able to do the same with the Atlus if they tried. A true mobile base. I'd love it.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    THE POINT OT A MOBILE BASE IS FOR IT TO BE MOBILE, UNLESS TOU REALLY LIKE THE DUNES THE THING IS USELESS
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I can see the Atlas coming into use as a "proper" mobile base. Lets face it, the Cyclops is too damn small to be anything other than an intermediary between your home base and wherever your off exploring; you can't properly move into the Cyclops without loosing a bunch of benefits like the radar station or alien containment tank to say nothing of the building space and lack of power.

The Atlas would replace the rocket as the final project; the culmination of everything you have learnt and the payoff you have been working towards and wouldn't end the game. With it, you can pack up your base and be truly mobile. That feeling would be unique in gaming and is something worth doing. It would be nuclear powered as well so it wouldn't need puny power cells.

I'm already very impressed with how they made the Cyclops feel good to use. Usually when games give you control of a large ship you end up feeling disappointed as its usually a lot less fun and practical than piloting a smaller craft (x3, star citizen) or just out and out replaces the need to use other smaller ships. But in this game it feels like a natural extension, perfectly compliment the smaller craft, not making them obsolete while also not being useless.

I'm sure they'll be able to do the same with the Atlus if they tried. A true mobile base. I'd love it.

The cyclops is giant, and highly mobile. Unless you dislike the kelp, safe shallows, and any other biome above 50m, this is the most useless submarine. It's too large to fit into the Lost river, and too clunky to move around some of the shallower but deep biomes. Void exploration won't happen most likely, so this idea has no point.
    THE POINT OT A MOBILE BASE IS FOR IT TO BE MOBILE, UNLESS TOU REALLY LIKE THE DUNES THE THING IS USELESS

Basically the same as what I feel. Unless you're addicted to the Dunes, Void, Grassy Plateau, Grand Reef, Sparse Reef, or Sea Treaders Path, then there is no use to this.
  • RowletAlexRowletAlex Eleventy-seven Nonexistent Street, Nowhereville, Outer Space. Join Date: 2018-03-16 Member: 239126Members
    @phantomfinch @AnomalyDetected I agree with you both completely; the atlas sub would be utterly useless. It wouldn’t even be a mobile base, just one you can attempt to shift around in a really deep biome. The void is meant to be a barrier, it’s the literal edge of the game world, not some vast expanse of unexplored areas we’re meant to explore using the atlas.

Speaking of, it’s not even actually called the Atlas, it’s technically called the Beluga. The atlas is a fan name and it most certainly wouldn’t be called that if it were added, which it won’t be.

If we do get another submarine I imagine it’ll be between cyclops and seamoth size, and I can tell it won’t be the Beluga. If it isn’t just something brand new, itd be either the Manta or one of the other miscellaneous seamoth-sized submersibles seen in concept art (though they don’t have to stay that size)

TLDR: We are not getting the beluga/atlas. Period.
  • BackoffsonBackoffson Join Date: 2018-04-25 Member: 240318Members
    yeah, it would be cool, but it just wouldnt work due to the small biomes in the game, their are the dunes which the atlas could possibly fit in, and the void...and no one likes the void. Plus the vehicles in the game i believe are trying to be used to progress ONLY, no implementing other vehicles that wont help progressing the game whatsoever, the cyclops isnt acutally needed to complete the game, but it does help alot. The Atlas should NOT be in the game.
  • BigGrayGolemBigGrayGolem Lima Peru Join Date: 2018-04-24 Member: 240304Members
    The only thing I think is missing from the Cyclops, which would likely be solved by the Atlas, is the lack of a second docking bay. It's frustrating to travel with only the Seamoth, but then find a mining spot and have to lay a beacon, go back and get the Prawn suit, and find the spot again. The inability to access the storage of the Seamoth or Prawn suit from inside the Cyclops is also a little frustrating.

But I agree, the Atlas is too big for the current map. If a future map was much, much larger, then it would be feasible. I for one would pay a lot of dough for a larger add-on map, even without the Atlas to move around.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    The only thing I think is missing from the Cyclops, which would likely be solved by the Atlas, is the lack of a second docking bay. It's frustrating to travel with only the Seamoth . then find a mining spot and have to lay a beacon, go back and get the Prawn suit, and find the spot again. The inability to access the storage of the Seamoth or Prawn suit from inside the Cyclops is also a little frustrating.

But I agree, the Atlas is too big for the current map. If a future map was much, much larger, then it would be feasible. I for one would pay a lot of dough for a larger add-on map, even without the Atlas to move around.

No.

Having only one dock makes the game challenging. You can only take one item at a time down, and you have to drag it alone. If you had two docks, it would be far too easy.

And where would you travel with these features in the atlas? The floating islands? The void? There's no purpose.
  • VectorMaster22VectorMaster22 (I left my keys in the Neptune Escape Rocket when I was trying to get stuff for my time capsule) Join Date: 2018-04-23 Member: 240271Members
    The only thing I think is missing from the Cyclops, which would likely be solved by the Atlas, is the lack of a second docking bay. It's frustrating to travel with only the Seamoth . then find a mining spot and have to lay a beacon, go back and get the Prawn suit, and find the spot again. The inability to access the storage of the Seamoth or Prawn suit from inside the Cyclops is also a little frustrating.

No.

Having only one dock makes the game challenging. You can only take one item at a time down, and you have to drag it alone. If you had two docks, it would be far too easy.

And where would you travel with these features in the atlas? The floating islands? The void? There's no purpose.

Even if they somehow tripled the size of the map, the game would get extremely difficult at the beginning without the Atlas. Imagine how sparse the entire map would be. Finding wrecks and resources would be impossible. (BTW, you can access storage in the cyclops via the docking bay terminal.)
  • HiguideHiguide NJ Join Date: 2017-04-03 Member: 229385Members
    its a marvelous idea, but does not make sense in the current map ,rather in a more into expanse regions later added
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members

Or you could just tie a towing cable to the back of the cyclops and drag your prawn around beneath you like a wrecking ball and kill all them unsuspecting stalkers...
    The only thing I think is missing from the Cyclops, which would likely be solved by the Atlas, is the lack of a second docking bay. It's frustrating to travel with only the Seamoth, but then find a mining spot and have to lay a beacon, go back and get the Prawn suit, and find the spot again. The inability to access the storage of the Seamoth or Prawn suit from inside the Cyclops is also a little frustrating.

• Diver_TemmieDiver_Temmie San Bernadino County Join Date: 2020-04-19 Member: 260202Members
    People say that they a general sized vehicle, there is one modded vehicle like that. The odyssey, although it doesn't have a vehicle bay at all, is slightly bigger than the seamoth, and definitely smaller then the Cyclopes.
    But I think they already released it into Below Zero, and it was known as a science sub? To get a cure? IDK, but at least we know that there is another kind of sub.