Power Transmitter - Splitter

MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
The standard Power Transmitter can take an unlimited number of inputs and provides one output. This means you can use it to collate power from multiple sources and then transmit it to one base. What you can't do is use a Power Transmitter to distribute power to multiple bases.

I'm suggesting A special type of Power Transmitter than can provide 2 outputs, evenly splitting the energy flow between them. So if you're running 2,500 energy into it, each output would receive 1,250 energy. This would let players power multiple bases with a single power source.

Comments

• AntardisAntardis Australia Join Date: 2018-03-28 Member: 239554Members
    I want this! the power doesn't have to be split in that manner, it could also work just on the basis of the total energy consumption of both bases. At the present though, I find that foundations seems to interrupt power sources in weird ways.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2018-04-03 Member: 239753
    I don't know if this fits in here, but thanks to your comment i finally understand what those Power Transmitters do. I never bothered to build one, because the In-Game Description didn't really made me understand what it does. But still, now, that I know its Purpose, I like your Idea, for I don't see a use in my Playstyle, unless the Devs implement your Idea. Great Thought! ;)
  • DreadgeNoughtDreadgeNought Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238486Members
    YES!!!

Though you can run a line from a starting Power Source (that is external only) to more than one base,
    They need to be linearly connected. One cannot go from more than one source of power "picking up" more on the line nor splitting off to other bases on a "Y."

It would be so great if these nodes did better eh, and did NOT connect to Platforms as do buildings.
    (lolz)

Perhaps also if had a "Y Splitter," we also had an Advanced option?
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    So what happens when you split a power source, and run it out a ways, and then back in, before the split?

2500 power, split to 1250 each, run one back into the rear.

So now you have 3750 power to split? Which splits in half and adds in again. And again.

Doesn't this create a feedback loop that basically turns a single solar panel into infinite power, and/or crashes the game when it goes too high?

My point is: engine/game/world limitations. Players ALWAYS try and break EVERY system.
  • DreadgeNoughtDreadgeNought Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238486Members
    As it stands things "split" off it only follows the closer strand of the split, and only takes power from the first/nearest source of power, as things stand at this time.

I doubt it is or would be made to allow re-connecting to a same starting point 'into' the system.

It would be good though to be able to chain more than one source of power together. . .
    and agreed, finding things to break is a good way to find bugs eh
  • jaaacojaaaco Join Date: 2018-05-31 Member: 241026Members
    good idea i want it
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    So what happens when you split a power source, and run it out a ways, and then back in, before the split?

2500 power, split to 1250 each, run one back into the rear.

So now you have 3750 power to split? Which splits in half and adds in again. And again.

Doesn't this create a feedback loop that basically turns a single solar panel into infinite power, and/or crashes the game when it goes too high?

My point is: engine/game/world limitations. Players ALWAYS try and break EVERY system.

I wouldn't see it as really a clean divide, but instead, it would connect the bases power supply. Virtually, this would turn them into one singular base supplied with power, but they are still separate entities.
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    This would make everyone’s lives so much easier.
  • awesomegamer9786awesomegamer9786 Join Date: 2018-07-25 Member: 242467Members