NS2 Overhaul mod

13»

Comments

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2017
    Changelog v0.12

Marines

*Implemented Portable Shield Generator (100 hp capacity) that can be purchased by regular marines (not JP) for 15 res at proto
    *Re-enabled ArmsLab
    *Implemented shield capacity tech on ArmsLab to upgrade shield capacity to 200 hp
    *Implemented shield recharge tech on ArmsLab to upgrade shield recharge rate & reduction in combat timer

*Sentry turrets now no longer use a battery and can be places freely in each room
    *Implemented sentry turret damage upgrade tech on ArmsLab
    *Implemented sentry HP upgrade tech on ArmsLab

Changelog v0.13

Aliens
    *Harvester cost increased to 12 up from 8

Tech
    All tech available at Biomass 1 but will need some balancing for their power and I will be implementing upgrades to them for higher hive counts as this mod progresses. Abilities such as xenocide could be problematic but given marines start on A2 it should be OK. Such abilities will get upgrade research at later date)

*Skulk ability research now costs 35 each (higher as the default lifeform and will get researched every time)
    *Gorge ability research now costs 25 each
    *Lerk ability research now costs 25 each
    *Fade ability research now costs 25 each
    *Onos ability research now costs 25 each

Onos
    Complete redesign of this to make it a regular life form that is on par with lerks, fades and gorges and have a more skill based play rather than a purely HP tank. Strong from the front, weak from the sides.

*Reduced HP/Armor to 500/250 down from 900/450
    *Increased Onos speed to 7.5 up from 6.5
    *Decreased onos cost to 40
    *Scaled Onos model down to 75% of its original value
    *Onos now by default has a 50% frontal damage reduction
    *Active bone shield now reduces frontal damage to 95%
    *Charge does 40 damage when hitting marines
    *Stomp energy use has increase 45 up from 30, range decreased to 8 from 12 (there will be research to upgrade these later)

Marines
    General structure cost increase due to no longer having passive upgrades to research or reduced pre-requisite structure cost.

Structures
    *Prototype Lab now doesn't need an Advanced Armory to build
    *Arms Lab now cost increased to 20 up from 15
    *Sentry Cost increased to 8 up from 5 (no longer needs batteries)
    *Extractor cost increased to 15 up from 10 (I want it to be less of a pay off to drop these if they can't realistically be held long enough to pay back)
    *Command Station cost increased to 30 up from 15 (major source of upgraded tech like hives)
    *Robotics Factory increased to 15 up from 10
    *ARC Factory upgrade cost increased to 15 up from 5
    *Observatory no longer needs Armory
    *Observatory cost increased to 15 up from 10
    *Phasegate cost increase to 20 from 15
    *Armory cost increased to 15 from 10
    *Advanced Armory cost increased to 30 from 20

Tech
    Marine Tech Tree flattened such that JP, Shields, etc are available sooner but in a weaker state. Tech can be improved by getting additional Command Stations which allow the commander to upgrade specific items.

*Jetpack modified to be more of a Jump pack (will have tech to upgrade it to vanilla JP standards, and then even better)
    *Implemented Jetpack Fuel Tank Tech to increase Fuel Capacity and requires Two Command Stations
    *Implemented Jetpack Fuel Efficiency Tech to decrease fuel usage and requires Three Command Stations

*Jetpack Tech cost increased to 30 up from 25

*Shieldpack Tech now costs 30
    *Shieldpack Capacity Tech increased to 20 up from 15 and requires Three Command Stations
    *Shieldpack Recharge Tech increased to 20 up from 15 and requires Two Command Stations

*Sentry Armor Tech now requires Two Command Stations
    *Sentry Damage Tech now requires Three Command Stations

*Removed Exo research and purchase from Prototypelab (these will come back elsewhere later)

Jan_bee wrote: »
    What happened to this mod, the changes sound great???

noi that o to |  do choi o to | do choi xe hoi 

ou3pr3ndbd5h.png

Still working on it, just released an update today!
  • antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members
    @Scatter it's a bot, a very good one too !

Nice changelog :)
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    actually where does this mod get played?
    Mephilles wrote: »
    actually where does this mod get played?

Nowhere yet, hoping to tee something up soon.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    These bots are getting very good, but why are they being tested out continuously on the NS2 forums..
    Changelog v0.14

Marine
    *Dual Minigun Exo now built by the Exo Factory for 100 tres and with a 5 minute build time
    *Increased Exo armour to 1000 from 310
    *Decreased Minigun heatrate from 0.3 to 0.2
    *Exo Factory a scaled version of the Robotics Factory which costs 25 tres to build

Mature Onos (name TBD)
    *Exists as a super unit in addition to regular Onos and behaves the same way
    *Gained by evolving a regular egg for the cost of 100 tres and 5 minutes
    *Can not spawn into a Mature Onos Egg or evolve into it from the alien menu, only use an evolved egg dropped by commander
    *HP/Armour is 1500/750, speed the same as Onos
    *Requires Charge, Boneshield and Stomp to be able to evolve the egg
  • antouantou France Join Date: 2016-07-24 Member: 220615Members
    edited August 2017
    Scatter wrote: »
    Marines only need 25 res for the Exo factory + 100 res for the exo itself, but Aliens need 3 hives ?
    edit: nevermind, I realised it's probably part of your plan to make it possible to research any upgrade anytime

antou wrote: »
    Marines only need 25 res for the Exo factory + 100 res for the exo itself, but Aliens need 3 hives ?
    edit: nevermind, I realised it's probably part of your plan to make it possible to research any upgrade anytime

Aliens can research all abilities on hive 1, and will be balanced to suit that level. They will each probably get a hive 2 and/or hive 3 upgrade in power (this could be through energy consumption reduction for umbra, HP heal for metab, charge damage on hit, leap damage on hit, etc). I've already made them all available already, but have yet to add the additional upgrade techs. Eventually I hope to have a tech tree diagram to show the overall intention.

But yeah 25 res for the Exo Factory probably isn't enough given the time and tres required to research charge, stomp and boneshield versus an exo factory.

edited April 2018
    Started over with this. Game has been reworked a fair bit from what I originally started with.

Game is based around capturing Tech Points as a primary resource node, with Resource Points being secondary. Marines no longer have passive upgrades (Weapons or Armour) but are balanced at W2/A2, with skulks/lerks/gorge being slightly buffed in HP to account for this. A whole bunch of other changes:

General changes
    *Techpoints give pres/tres when a Hive or CC is built (2x that of what a vanilla RT gives)
    *RTs now give 0.5x the pres/tres they give in vanilla
    *Extractor/Harvester and Hive/CC HP approximately halved

Marines
    *Weapon/Armour upgrades no longer researchable
    *Marines start with 100/70 and W2 damage levels for all weapons
    *Shotgun damage halved, RoF doubled, spread decreased slightly, increased "clip" ammo to 8
    *Single weapon Exos can now be researched again
    *Railgun Exo faster, same HP as vanilla, halved damage/double RoF, fire both railguns simultaneously
    *Minigun Exo slower, 520 base HP, reduced heat up rate of weapon, slight damage nerf

Aliens
    *Alien abilities no longer require biomass or a specific hive number
    *Babblers and Hydras are free to use
    *Lifeform hp increase: Skulk 85/15, Lerk 175/45, Gorge 180/75
    *Onos HP now 500/250, model reduced in size, default passive frontal bone shield of 50%, speed increase to 8.5, bone shield ability now reduces damage by 95%, cost reduced to 40 pres, upgrades 5 pres.
    *Upgrades/traits reworked as different specialities rather than a bit more HP/Speed/small buffs:
    - Celerity gives much more speed but reduces Speed
    - Carapace gives much more armour but reduces Armour
    - Cara/Cele still give a small net benefit in armour and speed (not as much as vanilla)
    - Vampirism lifesteal now repairs armour
    - Replaced Focus with neurotoxin (credit Steelcap/Compmod)

ModID: 5114acee

Workshop Link

Command stations can now be upgraded to any of three types, each unlocking catalyst, powersurge or nanoshield automatically. This combined with techpoints giving tres/pres now puts a pretty big focus on techpoints instead of res points.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Neat! Do these new comm stations give any other kind of ability or changes?
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    - Celerity gives much more speed but reduces Speed
    - Carapace gives much more armour but reduces Armour

I'm assuming something is wrong with the way you wrote this... if not, explain it for me XD
    edited April 2018
    Updated that post. Have another look
    Nintendows wrote: »

That's the plan. Ive got a few ideas in my head about that but im not sure exactly what. It definitely should give something more.
    Nintendows wrote: »

Just an update on this; I've updated the mod to add a passive upgrade to the marine team. Because I've removed passive weapon and armour upgrades I didn't want to add anything that alters how marines perform in combat.

Command Stations
    • Command station upgrades costs 15 tres
    • Attack Command Station (needs new name)
      - Unlocks Catalyst packs
      - Unlocks "rapid respawn" team passive upgrade which decreases respawn time of marines from 9 to 6 seconds
    • Defence Command Station
      - Unlocks Nanoshield
      - Unlocks "nano armour" team passive upgrade which slowly repairs armour outside of combat
    • Sensor Command Station
      - Unlocks Powersurge
      - Unlocks "rapid builder" team passive which increases the marine building speed by 50%

Furthermore I intend on having each speciality have some sort of structural boost such as Defence CC boosting sentries, sensor boosting obs, etc.
    So I was working on this again recently and took some old ideas and combined them with new ideas. I can't see this ever being more than an experimental mod as fine tuning and polishing take a lot of time compared to testing general concepts and getting a GUI to work nicely isn't that fun.

Recently I was thinking about how aliens are very dependent on being able to get lifeforms with pres and thus having map control (res control) has a strong impact on the ability of the aliens to compete throughout the game. With marines this is much less the case as they get permanent passive upgrades to their base unit and everything else which means the base unit grows stronger and gets relatively more competitive.

This mod will remove weapon and armour upgrades from marines and instead upgrade marines purely through the equipment they can buy. Also, now that we have a new HMG model that looks the part I can do the following:
    1. Old HMG model reused as a starter SMG which will have about the same performance as the current rifle but less effective at range
    2. No weapons or armour upgrades
    3. All weapon that are purchased rebalanced to be around weapons 2.5 level of damage
    4. Rifle purchaseable
    5. HMG very effectively against onos but much more expensive and heavy

Marines would start with armour in between A1 and A2, not sure exactly the values (they wont get passive armour ups)

Now I would also like to have soft classes for marines to be able to make marines get stronger with pres but not only though weapons. They could be faster or have more HP and have some interesting abilities. I consider the jetpack and exo to be marine classes and I would like to keep the soft class aspect of this, rather than hard classes like you have in overwatch
    or TF2. So I want a pres purchasable item that acts as a soft class that then has an tres upgrade that the commander can purchase in the same way the alien commander purchases alien abilities. As a start I thought of the following classes but I am still working this out:

Jetpack
    Repurposed for purely a light but fast class that will scout, support and engineer. Possibly this could have a bonus to build speed and repairing.
    For this I'm already using twilightblue's new jetpack code which is really quite good and allows for hovering and a longer airtime, but with my own refactoring for weapon weight having more impact.
    1. Thruster (basically a short duration dash to get out of bad situations)
    2. Fuel efficiency upgrade (which would allow permanent hovering at variable speeds (depends on weapon weight) with light weapons)

Heavy Armor
    No model for this unfortunately but the purpose would be similar to the NS1 Heavy Armour. High HP suit that can hold a position well and ignores weapon weight which allows it to effectively carry heavier weapons (i consider FT and HMG to be heavy weapons) without slowing down.
    1. Nanoarmor (slow repair of armour outside of combat)
    2. Gasmask (spores resist, but could possibly be resistance to biological effects)

Assault
    More of an attack class for sieges but I am still trying to work out the specifics for this class. I thought perhaps being able to carry a GL as a secondary weapon and having higher sustained damage output in some way.

Exosuits
    These are currently not that fun to play. I thought of giving them a capacitor which would be analogous to alien energy and then having them have certain abilities. Minigun exo could have a siege mode ability that costs energy which is useful for siege in that it has high active tanking and damage output. Railgun Exosuit could have team support auras that consume energy to act as a field commander. Either way I think abilities for exos are the way to go to make the have some sort of interesting gameplay.

Already coded some of this, will get around to the rest soon. Interested in peoples view on this.