Selective destruction on vehicles

RboxRbox Belgium Join Date: 2018-03-17 Member: 239227Members
Selective destruction on vehicles would be an interesting gameplay thing (can't think of the correct word). When a creature that can actually do damage to the Seamoth and Prawn attacks, maybe make it so that it bites of or simply demolishes certain upgrades. That way you can lose your armor upgrade, or sonar when on a trip and have to construct a new one. Or lose (one of) the storage unit(s) with everything that's in it. Bummer! Naturally, losing the depht module when 900m down is panic city....

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Yeah, because that wont get annoying fast
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I can imagine the stress now. Every time I go search the biomes with those damn sharks, I'll lose everything so quickly. And that sonar upgrade took me two hours of searching, I aint doin that again.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2018
    Maybe as an option for some kind of customization for hardcore mode, I mean hardcore mode really needs some love...

However, I'd propose having them spend some bloody time on fixing this clunky and atrocious pre-release interface they threw in there, before adding anything more time consuming things. TBH the interface in it's current state is simply laughable for a fully released game.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Prawn suit could get arms torn off... probably relatively easily?

Hull damage to larger extents could disable a random module on the Seamoth. Say, hull falls below 50%, and the game rolls 0-3, and disables that slot.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »

Hull damage to larger extents could disable a random module on the Seamoth. Say, hull falls below 50%, and the game rolls 0-3, and disables that slot.

So basically, two hours of grinding down the drain as a giant ghost leviathan destroys my prawn arm, the only way I could mine ores, or that grapple arm I spent a whole day looking for.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited April 2018
    EvilSmoo wrote: »

So basically, two hours of grinding down the drain as a giant ghost leviathan destroys my prawn arm, the only way I could mine ores, or that grapple arm I spent a whole day looking for.

As opposed to what, exactly? Currently, the ghost leviathan just takes your hull to zero and kills you. Don't you just lose EVERYTHING? You lost the fight, or didn't run fast enough, there should be a downside.

It would make sense that a giant predator would rip an arm off and eat it. Realize the arm is not tasty at all. Go looking for something else that IS tasty. It's not very bright, so it forgets by the time you come back later and tries to eat you again.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    I could understand having to remake a part of the Prawn or Cyclops (can't see the same reasoning for the Seamoth as all its upgrades seem to be on the inside rather than outside) after running into a Leviathan or predator pack, especially in Hardcore.

Would this entail having to refind fragments, because that doesn't make any sense.

But as much realistic sense as this concept makes, it would be terrible for game purposes. Can you imagine having to make 4 different Drill arms over the course of one game? Difficult is one thing, but that's leaning too much on the tedious grinding side of things.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Also since 1.0 is out, it is pretty much too late to change something that big
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    Skope wrote: »
    But as much realistic sense as this concept makes, it would be terrible for game purposes. Can you imagine having to make 4 different Drill arms over the course of one game? Difficult is one thing, but that's leaning too much on the tedious grinding side of things.

This gives me flashbacks to the space engineers forums where they had a bunch of backseat devs in the suggestions section. Realism for the sake of it adds unnecessary busy work to the player and makes the game feel less like a game and more like a sim. What would this change add to the game besides your chores to do?