Which creature do you hate encountering?

kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
So as the title says, Which creature do you struggle the most with and therefore hate encountering because you are in for a fight.

So for me it would be

3 Crab Squids
2 Lava Lizards
1 Warpers

3 Crab squids are annoying because unless you have prepared fully before diving they are quite the threat. I am talking about not having your prawn suit yet and are relying on your seamoth.

2 lava Lizards are my biggest cause of having to flee they do a lot of damage to the prawn suit especially since there are normally more than 3/4 of them in one area. A combo of warpers and lava lizards is the worst for me.

1 I hate warpers especially as you get deeper and they are more common/in swarms. They get so annoying, especially when you are wanting to collect resources as they tend to hog the beds and walls of areas where you are likely to want to collect items. They are normally the main reason for me having to be cautious early and also late game, where most other creatures are easy to avoid.

The Leviathan creatures are only really bad the first few times you encounter them. Well that is the case for me, don't really struggle with them. I think if there were more of them they would be a bigger threat but having only a small number of sea dragon and ghost leviathans on the map. It's easier to prepare for them. Think reapers can be a bit harder due to being more numerous, but they still aren't that bad.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2018
    1. The pooping ball butts (gaspods), disgusting bastards
    2. The wobbly fish (sand shark), just because they look annoyingly silly when swimming
    3. Those super fast shark dudes (bone sharks), they are way too aggressive versus an empty sub

Honorable Mentions
         Telepathic dipshit (mesmer) and the bouncy Half-Life headcrabs (cave crawler)
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Probably the Reaper.

Because seeing a Reaper means one of two things will happen.

1. I will lose my Seamoth/PRAWN/Cyclops and probably die, meaning I would lose everything in my Hardcore save, leaving me incredibly angry and sad.
    2. I'll need a new set of pants...

No further comment.
  • kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
    Skope wrote: »
    Probably the Reaper.

1. I will lose my Seamoth/PRAWN/Cyclops and probably die, meaning I would lose everything in my Hardcore save, leaving me incredibly angry and sad.

No further comment.

I've never died to a reaper before. Tend to be prepared by the time I properly go out into their realms lol. They don't tend to do much damage to the cyclops or prawn in my opinion either.
  • arcasorarcasor Italy Join Date: 2016-06-14 Member: 218577Members
    Warpers: their ability to yank me out of my protective shell really stirs up an ancestral fear; they are the reason why the Cyclops is my vehicle of choice for all warper-infested areas until I cure myself of the infection.
  • kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
    edited April 2018
    arcasor wrote: »
    Warpers: their ability to yank me out of my protective shell really stirs up an ancestral fear; they are the reason why the Cyclops is my vehicle of choice for all warper-infested areas until I cure myself of the infection.

Yes exactly, also since they actively seek you that also brings a greater fear.

Which is hard to do as well when you might need your prawn and/or don't have the right resources for a good cyclops.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    arcasor wrote: »

Use evasive maneuvers to avoid their vortex balls of GET OVER HERE
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited April 2018
    kingdoo10 wrote: »
    Skope wrote: »
    Probably the Reaper.

No further comment.

I've never died to a reaper before. Tend to be prepared by the time I properly go out into their realms lol. They don't tend to do much damage to the cyclops or prawn in my opinion either.

Good for you.
  • Aurora_SurvivorAurora_Survivor Naperville Illinois Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234809Members
    Just about anything that can kill me.
  • SkyArbiterSkyArbiter Join Date: 2018-03-07 Member: 238703Members
    I hate Reapers because they like to grab your Seamoth/Prawn Suit and wreck it to pieces. Because of this, I avoid the Crash Site, Mountains, and the Dunes whenever possible.nrw32wfbkgqt.jpg
    So, uh...
    Warpers also suck.
    edited April 2018
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    For some reason, I don't have that much of a problem avoiding warpers and crap squids. Once you've got a stasis rifle, nearly anything can be killed, though warpers are the most annoying because they can warp out of the stasis field.

I've never lost a Cyclops to a Reaper because I just Do Not Go There. Reapers are probably the most dangerous creatures in the game because they're so powerful, and relatively speaking, there are a lot of them. They don't respawn, though, so if you're patient with the stasis rifle and thermal blade, you can take them out one at a time. Several times I've endeavored to wipe them out, but after the eighth fight it just gets way too tedious.

I have to say though, playing hide and seek in the Seamoth with Reapers is a lot of fun.

Ghost Leviathans are scary because of their scream, and they're so fast it's hard to get away from them, but I think the most terrifying thing for me is that moment when a Sea Dragon turns its head to look at you. That's when you know that if you don't run, you're hecked.
    I always just drive head-on at the Reapers and just evade them by strafing, they are too damn slow if you know how to play around within and around their attack patterns :D Actually all "dangerous" creatures are kinda sluggish...
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited April 2018
    I dislike encountering crabsquids because of their EMP ability. And once in the Dunes, I was exploring the edge when a Reaper started chasing a pair of nearby Warpers and they decided to teleport me into the thing's path, although luckily it missed...

There's also the Sea Dragon living in the lava lakes just before the Primary Containment Facility. Making that final mad dash across a vast, Warper inhabited no man's land in your PRAWN (Or final mad jumping grapple dash in my case), not daring look back because you know the Leviathan is likely right behind you. I barely got through the forcefield before it let loose with its fireball spray attack.

Still, I would rather face that beast several times over than accidentally wander off the crater edge.
  • BakedPotatoBakedPotato USA Join Date: 2018-04-14 Member: 240057Members
    Warpers. They just seem to love toying with me, constantly teleporting me out of my vehicle to no end.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited April 2018
    Personally, I've always had a certain respect hatred for crabsquids, as they have annoyed me to no end. They can disable electronics, and can go faster than a cyclops ON FLANK SPEED. THEY LOOK FREAKING SLOW, AND HAVE NO MEANS OF PROPULSION, YET CAN OUTRUN A CYCLOPS GOING FULL THROTTLE. Also, They kinda creep me out a bit. In my experence, everyone is like "Oh that thing looks big and stupid." and it then proceeds to kick your a**.

Upon thinking on this, I'm working on an infected crabsquid - killing processing machine. Some floodlights for a lure, and maybe lure them over to a Warper or something. Or, if possible, lure them into a lava geyser. Or drop a rock on their heads.

I really, really hate crabsquids.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    kingkuma wrote: »
    I really, really hate crabsquids.

I second that. Between their EMP griefing and just plain hideous appearance, I cannot stand those things. No reaper - not even the ghost - creeps me out when I turn around and end up face-to-face with it anywhere near as badly as a crabsquid does. Top of my list.

A good runner up would be the damn bonesharks because, as our inestimable @Kouji_San pointed out, they're insanely hyper-aggressive toward empty vehicles. Perhaps their pet peeper was run down by the Aurora on landing, maybe they hate things that whir, nobody can say, but the fact that they seem to regard my Seamoth as a squeaky toy is extremely annoying.

Honorable mention goes to the flippin' Lava Larvae for just being annoying and requiring me to use a repulsion cannon to remove them because if I use a knife, I poke holes in my Cyclops.

But I really hate those crabsquids.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    When you're exploring the deep grand reef Degasi Base and glance out of the window:

YFezQAh.jpg
    edited April 2018
    It's funny when the sound system in Subnautica doesn't do it's job and suddenly you're met with a random leviathan a bit too close for comfort. Crabsquids just do this for fun though, they are above and beyond game programming :D
  • zontwitchzontwitch Canada Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238022Members
    1. Bone Sharks - they attack my seamoth/prawn when vacant, they are also hyper aggressive
    2. Lava Lizards - they attack my seamoth/prawn when vacant
    3. Reaper Leviathan - easy enough to kill if you have a statis rifle but I have lost two seamoths to them
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    When you're exploring the deep grand reef Degasi Base and glance out of the window:
    YFezQAh.jpg

Yes, that right there! :scream:

NO, I do not have a moment to discuss Cthulhu! BEGONE, DEMON SPAWN!

• AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Crash Fish - they stress me and don't seem physiologically plausible (i.e. they end up basically extinct because their self-defense mechanism is literally dying) thus damaging my immersion.
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Crash Fish - they stress me and don't seem physiologically plausible (i.e. they end up basically extinct because their self-defense mechanism is literally dying) thus damaging my immersion.

Actually, from an evolutionary standpoint, it's perfectly legitimate. It's similar to monarch butterflies. Monarchs are toxic, and a bird that eats one generally won't make the same mistake - their bright coloration serves as an easily-identified warning. So, for the monarch that got eaten, yeah, the system sucks. But for the species as a whole, it's great because predators quickly learn to not eat something that looks like one. (Which is also why the very tasty viceroy butterfly does well; it mimics the monarch's markings.)

So, while an individual crashfish won't survive, predators would get the picture pretty quickly and leave them alone, so as a species it's an effective deterrent. :)
    I'm working on an extinction event though @scifiwriterguy, mostly just by driving through their hives for shits and giggles.

It will be known in their holy scrolls as "the legend of shits and giggles"
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members

Actually, from an evolutionary standpoint, it's perfectly legitimate. It's similar to monarch butterflies. Monarchs are toxic, and a bird that eats one generally won't make the same mistake - their bright coloration serves as an easily-identified warning. So, for the monarch that got eaten, yeah, the system sucks. But for the species as a whole, it's great because predators quickly learn to not eat something that looks like one. (Which is also why the very tasty viceroy butterfly does well; it mimics the monarch's markings.)

So, while an individual crashfish won't survive, predators would get the picture pretty quickly and leave them alone, so as a species it's an effective deterrent. :)

I suppose - so it is just the stupid human which depletes the population through being unable to learn that avoiding them is better than grabbing silver?
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members

I suppose - so it is just the stupid human which depletes the population through being unable to learn that avoiding them is better than grabbing silver?

I like how nobody takes a second look at the evolutionary plausibility of, say the eye eye, but the crashfish, the crashfish is where we draw the line.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Warpers and sometimes Crabsquids are my main rough parts in-game. When I was in the Prawn Suit, I had one Crabsquid really tick me off, so I grappled it and drilled it but it didn't seem it would ever die. It went far out of sight, so I went back to what I was doing. Later, as I was swimming, it came back... and died with one heatblade stroke.

One I'm glad to have not encountered in a while is
    Multiplayer Zombies. :) (not all posters, but mostly those who wouldn't take "no" for an answer)
  • RagingreaverRagingreaver Join Date: 2018-04-15 Member: 240079Members
    For me, by far and large, it has to be those Bonesharks. ESPECIALLY at night. I will just be cruising along in my seamoth, looking for resources, and just when I am about to find a new cool place or snag an item I need THUNK THUNK THUNK!

Turns out three of them had been following me for the past hour and because every vehicle in the game has massive blind spots I hadn't noticed until I slowed down long enough for them to get their bites in. And when I back off and find a nice corner to repair THUNK! Oh look there is another one who actively went out of his way to give me a hard time AND OH LOOK HE BROUGHT FRIENDS. They are super agressive, they will follow you across the biome, and there is ALWAYS another one. So many.

Second are crashfish. Their activation range is too darn high.

Third are Ghost Leviathans, but mostly because during my first playthrough I was deep diving way before I should have been and just as I was going to return from a good haul when one came out of nowhere, rammed my poor, first Seabuscuit the Seamoth, at full strength, knocking it below its crush depth, and I watched as the beautiful blue waters destroyed my filled double-cargo Seabuscuit, three hundred meters below the surface, as I was running out of oxygen. Sad times were sad.
    Bonesharks are AFAIK also the only creature faster than the Seamoth (besides Leviathans)