Vehicle Oxygen

Aurora_SurvivorAurora_Survivor Naperville Illinois Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234809Members
This seems quite weird to me. Every time your Cyclops, P.R.A.W.N Suit, Seamoth what have you runs out of energy in it’s power cells the player instantly starts using their own on person oxygen supply to keep breathing instead of breathing the open air that would be still in the vehicle cabin even if the air scrubbers were offline there still would be enough air to last for like 1 minute in a Seamoth or probably like 15 in a Cyclops if there was already a fire happening. In real life submariners in WWII would wait in their subs in the event that the crippled sub sunk to the bottom of the seabed and await rescue but depending on the size of their submarines would give the appropriate amount of air for how long they would last. I hope the devs add this into the game as a mechanic of some sort to increase immersion. What are your thoughts comment below to tell me what you think!

Comments

• BTown780BTown780 Canada Join Date: 2018-04-10 Member: 239944Members
    While I totally agree it's unrealistic, so is many of the pressure mechanics in this game. That being said, I think it works fine as is right now. For example when I go diving, your average tank of oxygen can last up to 45 minutes if you have good breathing habits. Being able to only have a few minutes of air in a super tech air tank doesn't fit either, but some things need to be changed for game play to make sense. You are motivated to ensure you don't lose power, and keep extra power cells around just in case this way. I think it overall feels good as is.
  • Aurora_SurvivorAurora_Survivor Naperville Illinois Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234809Members
    BTown780 wrote: »
    While I totally agree it's unrealistic, so is many of the pressure mechanics in this game. That being said, I think it works fine as is right now. For example when I go diving, your average tank of oxygen can last up to 45 minutes if you have good breathing habits. Being able to only have a few minutes of air in a super tech air tank doesn't fit either, but some things need to be changed for game play to make sense. You are motivated to ensure you don't lose power, and keep extra power cells around just in case this way. I think it overall feels good as is.
    I believe the whole thing about the air mechanic in Subnautica is simple. Game time is faster relative to real world time. Having hours of air would really kill the fun in planning to explore a submerged wreck with limited air doesn’t it? I’m taking about VEHICLE AIR not player air supply.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2018
    A base not storing energy is also quite similar. If you dare to remove the power generator, the power storage is instantly drained...
  • Aurora_SurvivorAurora_Survivor Naperville Illinois Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234809Members
    edited April 2018
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    A base not storing energy is also quite similar. If you dare to remove the power generator, the power storage is instantly drained...
    Well the power sources for a seabase store power as well as generate it too. I think you’re missing my point here.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2018
    It's quite obvious the base is actually storing the energy. There is no way these solar panels are storing energy themselves. And because all generators work similarly in how they output their energy. It's only logical to conclude the base power storage, for whatever reason, is instantly drained once all connected power generator are removed.

How is this not similar to the way they programmed the oxygen supply for vehicles with it's magic act of instantly disappearing oxygen?

Hehe, maybe for the Seamoth at least it's not actually producing Oxygen to fill the cockpit. Maybe Scuba Steve hooks up his tank to a real time oxygen delivery system. Although he's not wearing his scuba mask and this doesn't explain the Cyclops.

They should fix both the oxygen and energy issue (along with so many more rather strange and silly designs)
  • BTown780BTown780 Canada Join Date: 2018-04-10 Member: 239944Members
    Well the power sources for a seabase store power as well as generate it too. I think you’re missing my point here.

Another good point, would really like to see dedicated Base Battery units. So you can build a few and still store power.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    The bases aren't great anyways.
    Emergency power only. Oxygen production offline.
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members

Yeah, you would think "emergency power"
    would include something as important as oxygen production...

The point being: Power down -> All oxygen throughout the entire base (or vehicle) instantly teleports into the void
  • AkuMasterofMastersAkuMasterofMasters Join Date: 2017-09-10 Member: 232934Members

The point being: Power down -> All oxygen throughout the entire base (or vehicle) instantly teleports into the void

Yeah I understood that
    I mean that "Emergency power" "Oxygen production offline"
    that's just crappy designing