Broken save game - can I get it fixed?

kzintzikzintzi Australia Join Date: 2018-02-28 Member: 238442Members
Hello All/Dev's

my save game has corrupted somehow - when I load I am at the beginning of inactive lava zone, my cyclops and Prawn disappears, my bases, all except for 2 of my beacons (And they're renamed to beacon 1 and beacon 2), as well as half of my inventory.

is it possible to get this fixed, and if so how? I'm running the release version, and have tried the experimental version as well. other saves work fine.

Comments

• The_CreamsterThe_Creamster Australia Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238017Members
    edited March 2018
    I haven't experienced quite that yet, but around 2hrs after my previous save of my 2nd playthrough in freedom mode(had mostly done base building stuff so not too much of a worry) it simply refused to save and the game process was still running as i could drive my seamoth around; but the side effect of the 'bugged save process' was:
    - red grass wasn't rendering upon approach like normal
    - only the visible terrain was explorable

Edit:
    due to the forums frankly quite stupid link posting/thread creating lockout rules i'm not able to give an honest opinion of my first survival playthrough experience let alone post links of images of that base or the broken save process that i just mentioned. When i'm able to do so please let me know. (i can't even attach the image to the post directly which is silly, sorry if its 'angry ranty' but what else can i do??)
  • jaxxxx0212jaxxxx0212 Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238502Members
    I am having almost the same issue . After the first broken save it's been down hill from there now I can't even get the new save to run . Also for some reason now the drive the game and steam are stored on is being dropped from the menu and the only way to get it back is a cold boot clear the caps and boot up again . The game will run fine and as soon as I quite the game it just locks up and will not shut down . As of right now I can't get the game to run at all . Keep in mind this is a 77hr. play through here not a brand install been playing for over 2 weeks with no issues at all . I have no clue what could have caused this ??? everything was going so well !!!
  • SadBobSadBob United Kingdom Join Date: 2018-03-03 Member: 238532Members
    edited March 2018
    [Edit: Not sure about the original issue, but my failure to load savegames seems to be fixed by switching to the experimental channel in steam. So the devs have fixed it...thanks! I din't find any info to suggest this, just took a punt.]

I am having a similar issue. After 25 hours of gameplay, I can no longer play due to a corrupted save. It started with saving in the Aurora. I loaded the game, and then experienced crashes when moving around. It loads okay, but then if I move a few metres, it just freezes.

So I had a bright idea...load the game, take off radiation suit, die of radiation, respawn in pod. It worked! I could move freely, no crashes. Except that now if I save and reload, the saves are always corrupt. Every save gets as far as "Loading world", and then freezes again. So there's something about my save which is bad. I can't see any alternatives but to start again, but don't know if I can face it.

This is really disappointing, after putting so much time into the game. It's otherwise a brilliant game.

I've already tried:
    • Verifying game cache
    • Checking hard drive (SDD)
    • Deleting the cache in the save game (CellsCache)
    • Turning down all the graphics settings / Running in windowed mode
    • Running in forced-windowed mode

I can't post my dxdiag and game_output.txt because of the forum restrictions. I'd like to help the devs fix this, but apparently they're too worried about forum spam to allow new posters to post proper bug reports.

A lot of love has gone into this game, and I was really enjoying it, it's just a shame more focus wasn't put on quality. I feel really let down after spending so long on this game. I lost a few hours to other crashes, before I realised it was buggy, and started saving regularly. A game like this really needs a mechanism to recover from bad saves. If it had an autosave mechanism, or kept the last few saves, I'd be able to recover, but as it is, I have a corrupt save, and no good options.
  • The_CreamsterThe_Creamster Australia Join Date: 2018-02-21 Member: 238017Members
    edited March 2018
    Here is the aforementioned picture of the broken save process that i mentioned:
    https://gyazo.com/644c334563afbcbb13290397a10ccb40
  • kzintzikzintzi Australia Join Date: 2018-02-28 Member: 238442Members
    so no update/info from Dev's on this?

ok guess I just copy my saves to another folder after each playing of the game so I don't lose more than a day's worth of gaming if it dies again.

kinda shit, but better than rage quitting and not playing it again
  • kil_zinhokil_zinho Brasil Join Date: 2018-04-07 Member: 239872Members
    So I opened my save and was written damage save game I clicked on play and came back all over again I'm in lifepod as if it was the beginning again. I lost my habitat my cyclops my prawn and my seamoth.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Right-click on the drive Subnautica is in and click "Properties", "Tools" tab, "Check" disk for errors button, then scan. Not sure if it will help, but you can hope. If Subnautica wrote an incomplete save or somehow corrupted it, it's probably gone. If the filesystem got interrupted and is now "dirty", and the data is still on the disk, just not associated with the save files, then what I mentioned might work. Can't hurt to try.