PlayStation 4

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2018
    Tarman123 wrote: »
    @Kouji_San Oh yeah I completely understand that but it's the best I'm gonna get without purchasing anything other than the game, obviously I'm fully aware I'm not gonna see it perfectly but I'm pretty sure it'll still look stunning.

To be fair, I've seen Xbone screenshots and although noticeable if you know what to look for, it is still fairly hard to distinguish them from PC unless you pixel peep. At "TV watch range" you will not notice the lower res textures in any case, smoothness of FPS is where you'd notice the difference. Unless them dev type people get a handle on that stuff.

TBH, right now I'm more interested in how far they've ventured into Sony territory in terms of progress...
  • Tarman123Tarman123 Join Date: 2018-03-23 Member: 239414Members
    @Kouji_San Oh yeah, I completely agree with you. That's all I'm waiting for just some sort of update but I don't expect them to rush just excited to play the game tbh
  • PizzuttoPizzutto Join Date: 2018-03-30 Member: 239650Members
    When do you think that Subnautica will be released for PS4
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2018
    Anyone not working at the UWE office, stating anything would be nothing more than pure speculation, so here goes!

PS4 release on Halloween 2018 :trollface:
    When do you all think that Subnautica will be released?
    edited March 2018
    PC has been released on 2018-01-23
    Xbone/Oculus 2018-01-04
    PS4 2018-11-31

:trollface:
    WOW! It will be after a long time!
    @unknownworlds @Obraxis can you say if will be this year??
    edited April 2018
    Stop it, it's not a real date for release. I'm trolling, but it's quite obvious you are as well ;)

And don't tag devs, they will release info on the release date when they are ready to do so
    @Kouji_San yes man,thanks! Hope it will be this year for PS4
  • Aurora_SurvivorAurora_Survivor Naperville Illinois Join Date: 2018-01-04 Member: 234809Members
    I think it will be easier for the devs to put Subnautica on the PS4 simply due to the console’s superior hardware than the Xbox One because they really had to do some performance minded modifications since the Xbox hardware is slower than that of the PS4.
  • Jah_jo19Jah_jo19 Join Date: 2018-04-06 Member: 239832Members
    i would love to have subnautica on ps4, i've been around since 2015, i've watched many lets plays of subnautica and i would really love to play it, it'd be amazing playing subnautica on my ps4, a game that i've waited 3 years to play
  • TrekvarisTrekvaris Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 237066Members
    Sorry it's been a while I have two jobs now but I really do hope to see Subnautica for PS4 soon
  • Goldengoose7Goldengoose7 California USA Join Date: 2018-04-26 Member: 240346Members
    But would the game run at any decent fps on a base PS4 @ 1080p?

My high end gaming PC gets a solid workout running this game at a locked 60fps @ 1080p. About the same demand level as No Man's Sky which is a considerable level of both CPU and GPU heavy lifting.

Running the game in Native 4k (3840x2160) is a challenge even for an overclocked 1080ti and 7700k, so I don't think you would get very far on a PS4 Pro on a 4k display, even at sub 4k resolutions.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members

My high end gaming PC gets a solid workout running this game at a locked 60fps @ 1080p. About the same demand level as No Man's Sky which is a considerable level of both CPU and GPU heavy lifting.

Running the game in Native 4k (3840x2160) is a challenge even for an overclocked 1080ti and 7700k, so I don't think you would get very far on a PS4 Pro on a 4k display, even at sub 4k resolutions.

It doesn't need to run at highest possible specs.
    Bear in mind that the default ps4 hardware is above the pc version minimum specs and is on par with the same pc recommended specs.
  • Goldengoose7Goldengoose7 California USA Join Date: 2018-04-26 Member: 240346Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »

It doesn't need to run at highest possible specs.
    Bear in mind that the default ps4 hardware is above the pc version minimum specs and is on par with the same pc recommended specs.

I hear ya. And the more I play the game, the more I am convinced that a lot of the frame rate/stutter issues are not the fault of our hardware, but the usual optimization issues on the development side.

One would hope that if the game is brought to PS4, the Subnautica developers would invest some much needed time into further optimizing the game's engine and getting rid of whatever seems to cause a lot of this clunky/uneven frame time performance. Which directly translates into the micro-stutters I pretty much see on everyone's YouTube videos and streams.

Hardware horsepower doesn't seem to have anything to do with it, considering the amount of raw CPU and GPU power I throw at this game and still can't get a 100% locked 60fps @ 1080p.

Well, horsepower has some impact along with switching to SSD. But yeah it is mostly Unity being not used as Unity prefers to be used, so to speak :tongue:

Also, performance seems to be an ongoing effort with some random burst of "wow", when they introduce certain patches...
    edited May 2018
    I think it will be easier for the devs to put Subnautica on the PS4 simply due to the console’s superior hardware than the Xbox One because they really had to do some performance minded modifications since the Xbox hardware is slower than that of the PS4.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The XB1 is running a version of Windows and DX11 which the game was built to run on from the beginning. Its obvious why the XB1 saw a version of the game before the PS4.

The PS4 uses its own proprietary OS, so it isn't going to be as simple as you paint it out to be. Besides that, the performance difference between a base PS4 and an XB1 is marginal.

If we could snap our fingers and magically plop the current build of Subnautica onto the PS4, it would have the same performance issues the XB1 version is having more or less.

As I already posted earlier in this thread, based on my nearly 100 hours with the game now on PC, I can safely say that this title still has a long way to go when it comes to optimization/performance tweaking.

I should not be seeing all the micro-stuttering I am seeing at pedestrian resolutions like 1080p. My machine is more than capable of a locked 60fps @ 60Hz in Native 4k (3840x2160). I have never had this much frame rate instability at 1080p before I started playing Subnautica.

If I drop any of my other games down to 1080p from 4k, I get a solid and locked 60fps 100% of the time, all the time with all settings maxed on ULTRA/HIGH and my overclocked 1080ti never rises higher than 50% GPU useage. This is because my hardware is designed for Native 4k gaming at 60+ fps, so 1080p by comparison hardly puts a dent in my headroom.

These various micro-stutters and hiccups in the game animation is down to the game and its current engine glitching out during normal gameplay. No amount of horsepower is going to be able to bulldoze through whatever these bottlenecks are since they are likely upstream of the GPU.

Its the whole "Garbage in, Garbage Out" scenario.

I own a PS4 Pro and an XBOX1 in addition to my high end gaming PC, so I am speaking from hands on experience with all of these platforms.

@Goldengoose7
    The PS4 uses its own proprietary OS, so it isn't going to be as simple as you paint it out to be. Besides that, the performance difference between a base PS4 and an XB1 is marginal.
    I believe the ps4 also uses directx. And the hardware specs of the regular ps4 far exceeds that of the regular xbox1.
    So a Dev just said they a shooting for this summer but if there is a Dev here watching I'm wondering if they are going to try a beta first or do a full release
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited May 2018

The pinch point is primarily the storage device (hard disk), which both consoles have the absolute worst of (5400 RPM spinny disk with no flash-based cache) and the second point is the CPU (which is useful in compressing / decompressing the terrain data so it can load faster from that garbage disk), and again, both consoles skimped on that as well (both use a modified AMD Jaguar. AMD makes alright chips, but the ones used are running at a really lousy speed 2.1 GHz (PS4 Pro) or 2.3 GHz (Xbox One X), and the original consoles are even worse (1.6 GHz PS4, 1.75 GHz XB1).

To be clear, that's budget laptop territory (5400 RPM spinny disk, high 1.- to low 2.- GHz CPU).

So, yeah. And the GPU is atrocious until you get to the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, which are actually low - mid levels of decent now (equivalent of about an RX 480 (PS4P) / RX 580 (XB1X), instead of the original HD 7870 (PS4) or HD 6850 (XB1).

PS4 vs XB1 the PS4 seems to come out slightly ahead, PS4 Pro vs XB1X seems the XB1X is slightly ahead. Correctly configured upper-low or mid range gaming PC ofc pwns all consoles. :lol:
    How did this turn into a Xbox versus PlayStation I just want to know WHEN a beta will come out
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    PS4 vs XB1 the PS4 seems to come out slightly ahead, PS4 Pro vs XB1X seems the XB1X is slightly ahead. Correctly configured upper-low or mid range gaming PC ofc pwns all consoles. :lol:

Consoles do have their niche though. They appeal for their simplicity and straightforwardness, making them great for kids.

And there's one detail that I think make the ps4 a hard competitor for any computer on its price range. It has 8GB of GDDR5 instead of regular RAM. Games that are properly optimized for the system look great.
  • FodoxDiverFodoxDiver Brasil Join Date: 2018-06-11 Member: 241315Members
    You know, E3 2018 would be perfect for you guys to announce Subnautica for PS4. Wink, wink. ;D
    Seriously, I am IN LOVE with this game. Can not wait to be able to play it. Great job!
  • ripjawwolffangripjawwolffang Australia nsw Join Date: 2018-06-13 Member: 241356Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We'll be doing PS4. Time-scale is unknown ATM. Not years though.
    Please make the Xbox version more playable first, oh mighty deep sea god! I desperately want to enjoy the full experience without the rendering issues !
  • nesnes UK/Poland Join Date: 2018-06-02 Member: 241073Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We'll be doing PS4. Time-scale is unknown ATM. Not years though.

Can't wait! <3 Got it on PC, but my graphic card is down, so I'm waiting impatiently for PS4 release :)
  • FodoxDiverFodoxDiver Brasil Join Date: 2018-06-11 Member: 241315Members
    12-7-2018 release hard copy PS4 AND XBox