Silent Running shouldn't consume power (or should consume next to nothing) when engine is off.

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
edited January 2018 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Multiple streamers leave Silent Running on with the engine off waiting for the big bad to go away. This shouldn't be burning the same amount of energy as running the engine + dampening the noise. Should be zero power draw, or negligible power draw, if there's still some benefit over a rig that's had the engine shut off and light killed manually.

For an example, see here. (9:10 -- 86% power, waits overnight with engine off in Silent Running ("dead" mode, I'm sure he thinks) 13:28 -- next morning, 12% power left)

Comments

• ShadoxShadox France Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235990Members
    Hum yeah (i didnt check the link) , but it's logic to not consume energy if engine are off (even if silent is activate) since silent mode is for reduce noise when engine are on.

So i agree with you (also i think it's a bug cuz not logic at all , unless i've miss something).
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    While this thread is old and is going to hit "the 3 months dead dont bump" zone, I did want to mention that the Cyclops is invincible if you are not in it, I have been told this isnt true for xbox though
  • DominaKiaraDominaKiara Ann Arbor, MI Join Date: 2018-04-02 Member: 239740Members
    Does this mean I don't have to keep turning off the engines and lights when I leave the Cyclops?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    AFAIK you can, yeah. Just don't leave Silent Running on.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2018
    I ran into this illogical issue as well on my first trip with the boat... Parked the sub in a safe spot, turned off the lights and engine, apparently silent running was still on.

Came back to a drained sub, which makes no sense! Annoyingly it wasn't clear why this happened, at first I thought one of the bubble head crab things attacked it in my absence. But creatures only seem to attack the Seamoth, even when empty... So game feedback is again severely lacking as I've come to expect :tongue:
  • DreadgeNoughtDreadgeNought Join Date: 2018-03-02 Member: 238486Members
    It would be nice to have an option to "Rig the Boat for Ultra-Quiet", for those who played / watched vids for Cold Waters and know what I mean....

To say that at the cost of active oxygen production and all non-essential systems that things stop making as much extra sound, with "Silent Running" being called 'Sound Dampening' or some such, eh. . . edk,

Seems the thing with SR is it turns off your lights for you (a thing needs to have an option for while driving?) and turns off Heat Recycling from the Engines thus the x5 consumption thing when moving.

That to say it would be better if that when _Not_ in use/moving the engines would go into a state of non-use, like how one can do their Switch system we all have by this point. ;)

(not really fully "off," but not in active use or operations either to save power)