Player sliding in Cyclops

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
edited January 2018 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Watch closely, you can see the player is drifting: (around 12:45 mark, watch the background with PDA open) It eventually gets bad enough the player reloads, which fixes it, but then the problem returns. It was after docking a PRAWN, not sure it that's relevant.

Comments

• VIDISVIDIS Russia Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235283Members
  • EkUlEkUl Germany Join Date: 2017-05-03 Member: 230214Members
    edited January 2018
    Confirmed. This is BTW a really old bug, still not fixed. :(

In my case not only the player is sliding, also the Cyclops is moving a bit. Then after some time, the player is falling down above the Cyclops. It means the player is outside and above the Cyclops then and falling down to the Cyclops. You can avoid this by using the Cyclops cockpit or by sitting on a chair as example. But if you leave one of them, the problem is back.

Not sure if it have to do with Prawn docking, i will test this.

edit: nope, this problem occurs also if no Prawn is docked.
  • DonHewgodookoDonHewgodooko United Kingdom Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236380Members
    I've had the same thing happen, I noticed just before it occurred my Cyclops started slowly moving upwards and to the right before I fell through the floor and took damage on hitting the seabed. The game treats you as being on land for a moment then it'll suddenly put you back in the ocean. Happened three times, its very irritating. I do love this game besides its current buggy state.
  • EkUlEkUl Germany Join Date: 2017-05-03 Member: 230214Members
    After more tests I can say this: not the player is moving, but the Cyclops itself. And that's the problem. It seems that there is a simple collision issue between the moving Cyclops model and the fixed player model.

• Number35Number35 Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224491Members
    This defiantly needs to be fixed.
  • surratussurratus Join Date: 2018-03-29 Member: 239600Members
    I have also noticed this and it's actually a little nauseating. This bug seems to get worse as the I progress to the Lost River or perhaps as I add more equipment to the Cyclops. I'm currently stuck in the Tree Cove and unless I keep moving inside the Cyclops I will fall out in under 30 secs. It is quicker with the PDA open making it difficult to restock. Moving the Cyclops slightly only delays the effect slightly. Same with restarting. With F1 open it shows the player acceleration snapping +/- 0.5 units however overall location appears steady. Tried various GPU options and could not make it stop. However, Dither made it much worse. Turning Dithering on immediately caused me to fall out of the Cyclops as well as cause the Cyclops to spin keel up and fall to the Tree Cove floor. I can't seem to advance beyond this part of the game. Is it possible to make a copy of the latest save and try again on another computer with different GPU?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2018
    AHA! So my mind wasn't playing tricks on me!

Also PAUL, haven't watched him in ages. Good stuff XD
    I'm uninstalling and reinstalling the game and will copy back the old save game with the problem and try again. I don't know why Unknown Worlds says they can't duplicate the problem. It's 100% reproducible for me (unless the re-install works). I thought it might be GPU settings related, but it appears to be dependent on "local environment". I'm calling it a Jacob's Ladder effect (the movie, not the HVPS thing), everything drifts just slightly, then starts snapping back to the starting point in tiny steps, then turbulence as it occurs faster and the steps get bigger then WHAM...I fall to the top of the Cyclops. If I wait long enough it'll happen again 3x until I splash into Tree Cove water. Why would Elon Musk ever fear AI? Give it a few hours after sentience is achieved, and it'll likely gorp into a broken toaster with a chipmunk voice. Ah...download done. Time to try again.
    Well apparently uninstalling a program is a lot more involved than it used to be, and I was unsuccessful in eliminating the issue. According to the 'global stats' about 18% of steam players play to the point of getting a Cyclops and maybe 10% to the lost river. This bug must be a "show stopper" for only a handful of those - hardly a large enough number warrant the expense of fixing. Maybe someday I'll return and give the game a go again. Who knows, different computer, or a higher place in the bug list. It was such a beautiful game...but it is like taking a glorious spring hike and finding a massive strip mine around the bend.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2018
    So far I've only noticed the slowly sliding in the Cyclops. It is indeed 100% of the time when you stop moving inside the submarine... It happens with the sub moving or stationary. Although it's not game breaking so far...

So, did the devs actually say they are unable to repro it? Seems strange they would say that, because it is 100% reproducible. Even in a new save...

I'm more annoyed by the seemingly random crashes to desktop. Feels like Subnautica is quite a bit more unstable, ever since a few weeks after v1.0 release. Quite annoying for a Let's Play TBH, having to retrace steps using the recording :D
    When searching for clues to solve the problem I found many posts describing it going back to early development. There was even a "quote" from a developer stating it could not be consistently duplicated by the development team. The reasoning was there were too few developers and too many other bugs to work on to justify addressing an issue that only seriously effected a handful of players. While this is the way the world works, I think they could have minimized the hardship by allowing multiple saves. That way one could return to a point before they committed to a dead end path caused by a bug. It's unfortunate few of the solutions suggested in past posts could be tested without starting over due to restricting save slots. If I were to try this again I'd manually copy and archive previous saves.
  • _cthulhu__cthulhu_ Join Date: 2018-03-30 Member: 239619Members
    I have found that leaving the cyclops idling (which doesn't use battery power) minimizes the cyclops drift. I believe it eliminated it for me.

• DominaKiaraDominaKiara Ann Arbor, MI Join Date: 2018-04-02 Member: 239740Members
    edited April 2018
    I have had nothing but problems with the Cyclops so far >.<
    I've noticed that jumping around a few times will stop this issue, usually
  • DominaKiaraDominaKiara Ann Arbor, MI Join Date: 2018-04-02 Member: 239740Members
    Jumping around caused me to be flung from my cyclops and drift through the air across the ocean. @_@
    Jumping around caused me to be flung from my cyclops and drift through the air across the ocean. @_@

Well crap, that is both hilarious and scary!
  • EccleZoneEccleZone Germany Join Date: 2018-02-07 Member: 237105Members
    Confirmed, I have also noticed this Cyclops-moving-phenomenon.
    It appears (in every game I started so far) while I'm aboard
    - reading the PDA for more than a minute
    - staying around
    - building (!) lockers and plant-pots
    One time Cyclops drifted and collide with my habitat, so my base was damaged and flooded.
    This is really a game-breaker for me.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Kinda going off this bug, whenever I put my seamoth in my cyclops, it flies away. I tried reinstalling, but I don't know. I'll share some images when I get home.
  • 32bitcal32bitcal Canada Join Date: 2018-03-31 Member: 239679Members
    This issue was reported in May 2015 and its still happening.
    I have been constantly falling through my cyclops, down a 150' ish... I hear and splash and I'm back to swimming... or I just hit the ocean floor and take a bunch of damage.

I can't access my storage lockers for any more than a few seconds, I can't change power cells, I can't walk to the rear of the boat, pretty much suck at 700' down in a cave.
    edited April 2018
    Since this is the main thread for it. See here, my pop on top of sub nonsense in action...

And to emphasize, 9/10 times when I'm in that bloody sub, I will slide around to various extremes. Sometimes it's fixed by jumping and sometimes I just teleport upwards... I'm kinda waiting on the 3-2-1 launch bug that sometimes happens after you're jumping to try and fix it :D
  • Akimb0Akimb0 Join Date: 2018-04-22 Member: 240242Members
    Seems to happen more often when I'm using the habitat builder. If I stay in the menu long enough I can see myself starting to slide ever so slightly.
  • jdawg1351jdawg1351 Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187855Members
    This makes deep sea exploring impossible, is there really no fix for this?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Fix is to find the bug and patch it. If they don't know where it is in the code, and it's not causing a hard crash, it's probably on the back burner. Perhaps they could use a bug bounty system, but I'm not sure how that would work with the source code for the game.
  • jdawg1351jdawg1351 Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187855Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Fix is to find the bug and patch it. If they don't know where it is in the code, and it's not causing a hard crash, it's probably on the back burner. Perhaps they could use a bug bounty system, but I'm not sure how that would work with the source code for the game.

You seem quite knowledgeable about the game. Could you please point me to where the cyclops files are?
    edited March 2019
    jdawg1351 wrote: »
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

You seem quite knowledgeable about the game. Could you please point me to where the cyclops files are?

It's an external knowledge, not an internal one; I don't know how to code. If you wanted to go bug hunting, and know how to code, I'd suggest asking the modding guys where you could start.
    Join the official Subnautica Discord server: https://discord.gg/subnautica Then click the #subnautica-modding channel on the left, which will give you a link to join the Subnautica Modding Discord and also the Subnautica Multiplayer Mod (Nitrox) Discord servers.
  • HalfEvilCoyoteHalfEvilCoyote Colorado Join Date: 2019-02-14 Member: 250919Members
    Falling out of Cyclops is Still an issue on PS4 Pro after 1.08 update.

• WaterBatmanWaterBatman UK Join Date: 2019-01-11 Member: 248543Members
    I can confirm that the player still "slides" about when inside the Cyclops, following little big update. I am halfway through a new playthrough to test the update out properly and noticed this.

Hopefully the issue that I posted about in Jan here:

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/155423/fell-through-my-cyclops-then-appeared-above-it-continuously-falling/p1?new=1

Has been fixed, but if were still sliding in the Cyclops then I seriously doubt it.
  • zoobzoob Join Date: 2020-04-06 Member: 259706Members
    Hello! I made an account on this forum specifically make a comment in this thread.

This is not a dead issue.

Yesterday I lost a 25 hour (real time) Hardcore game because of this issue. My cyclops was parked a hundred metres or so above the sea floor when my character was transported out of the cyclops to a position above. Thereupon my character fell to his demise and my game was gone.

Now, Subnautica is not a good game. Subnautica is GREAT game. In my opinion it has the chance to be all time great. However, for hardcore mode this issue kills it dead.

I know you already have my money for Subnautica. I know you are moving on to another product. It's what software houses do, but know this. As it stands you have lost my recommendation. I was considering purchasing this game for my 13 year old niece, now I will not. When this game comes up in conversations, I will relay my experience with this game and the support it receives and advise accordingly. I see little point in purchasing another product from your house if this is what I am expected to play with.

In short, this bug effects your bottom line.

I will watch with interest, for a time at least, to see if this issue is addressed. I live in hope.

Regards
    You might want to reach out on their official Discord or Twitter. The forums are kind of hit and miss IMHO.

Discord:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/subnautica

Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/subnautica
    https://twitter.com/UnknownWorlds

Probably better to Tweet @ the devs directly on the Discord, or Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/obraxis
    https://twitter.com/Flayra
    https://twitter.com/hugh_jeremy

E-mail: subnautica-support@unknownworlds.com (mailto: link)
  • zoobzoob Join Date: 2020-04-06 Member: 259706Members
    Hello 0X6A7232, thank you for the response.

I don't use twitter and frankly, I see no point in me putting any further effort into this issue. I've communicated along two channels what I wished to communicate. If the Unknown Worlds Sofatware House cannot monitor it's own tools for feedback then, *shrugs*, what goes around comes around.