'AURORA FALLS' - A Subnautica story.

1181920212224»

Comments

• Quantum_AnomalyQuantum_Anomaly Join Date: 2016-06-13 Member: 218496Members
    edited June 2016
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind hearing from The Devs at this point. If only to do The Right Thing by them. Seriously.

'Aurora Falls' (c) Lee Perkins, May 2016.

DISCLAIMER

The Author (Lee Perkins) wishes to assert his moral right as the author of 'Aurora Falls' and formally acknowledges having incorporated characters and situations in said story that are the sole intellectual property of Unknown Worlds Entertainment.

'Aurora Falls' is a fan-fiction story based upon characters and situations used in the computer game 'Subnautica', and is in no way intended to infringe upon the intellectual property and Copyright entitlements of Unknown Worlds Entertainment.

Codicil: Any literary allusions, movie references, slogans and memes used in this story are also gratefully acknowledged with all due attribution to their respective authors. They know who they are. ;)

NOTE: 'Aurora Falls' may not be re-distributed in any legible or machine-readable format elsewhere in print, voice or electronic media without the express written permission of Unknown Worlds Entertainment and The Author.

We're all friends here. Play nicely, now. :)

I registered just to post here. After about 30 hours of subnautica in two days, being done with my first playthrough and on my second, I started rummaging through the forums, the trello, and everywhere else gorging myself on subnautica input. When I hit your story, I became immediately engrossed in it. This is absolutely amazing so far (I'm in chapter 2).

The biggest thing I started to notice, is that I read it, I found your writing style to feel rather similar to my own, with hits of Arthur C. Clarke and Heinlein scattered throughout. Your style is professional, for sure, and I eagerly await to read the remaining 22 forum pages.

My question to you is this: Would you be willing to allow me to turn this in to an audio-book? I do not seek to monetize any of the content and would credit you fully. I merely wish to provide this in an alternate form to those who may not have seen it, and since the style is so close to my own I have a very stream-of-consciousness connection associated with it and feel I could do it justice.

I understand I would also have to obtain the express permission of Unknown Worlds Entertainment as well (as above), but I figured I would start here. If you would like, I can provide a private link to you of my meager youtube channel where I record some of my sandbox gaming endeavors (Link would be PM'd since I'm not here to advertise my channel, just offering it for voice samples) and would be more than willing to upload a private file of me reading a page or two before you make your decision. (I could do a script more justice than my off-the-cuff videos).

If not, I understand, but there's never harm in asking.

Your work is wonderful, I hope to see something of yours on amazon some day (if something of yours IS out there, please let me know, since I'm only starting chapter 2 and there are very few "off topic" replies so far, and am already ready to shell out cash for a paperback, or other material written in a similar vein).

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me, I have to get back to reading!

Signed,
    Q_A
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    @Quantum_Anomaly : It all depends on what Unknown Worlds have to say about it. :smile:

Of course, should the project be approved, I will also specify that a capable and above all, professional voice artist be used... Preferably someone like Sean Connery, Brian Blessed, Liam Neeson or Sam Heughan.
    No offense intended to anyone wanting to 'further' my writing career, but this is why...

NSFW content warning:
    @Bugzapper ah, I hadnt realized that UWE hadn't replied by now. Last night was kind of a flurry of reading, playing, more reading, and writing my response. I assumed after 23 pages you were already sponsored, hence the release note (minus that top line I must not have read right).

And of course if approved I will do everything I can to secure a professional voice artist as you requested, but my available budget is somewhere in between peanut shells and completely nothing. It would likely be just me, working for free, and trying to convince my wife to voice JUNO, lest I voice it myself. I'm far from the most Scottish person in the world , but I think that I can give it just a brush of an accent without sounding like some kind of stereotype, I dunno. Maybe it'll help NOT being Scottish, since he's from mars.

Anyway, as far as furthering your writing career, I would definitely say that you should publish something small if you havent. I'm serious when I said that you have hints of Heinlein in your work. It's solid stuff. Small publishings can win you award money from contests, and also build up a collection so you can get a paperback or digital release out there. I totally understand not wanting to do something for just the exposure, and the oatmeal is dead-on. Unfortunately, with a fan-based work there's not much more you can do without a copyright release, which is why I think you should let fly some of your other works.

• salsaman2salsaman2 Houston Join Date: 2016-06-13 Member: 218521Members
    This is to much reading
    salsaman2 wrote: »
    This is to much reading

If you've reached this point... Rejoice!

This story's finished. Take a coffee break and start on 'Borealis Rising' tomorrow. ;)
    Ok holy cow that was amazeballs. I basically took today off work to finish. I didn't realize how mercifully I missed the last pages of the story when I made my post first after only being a couple chapters in. I picked up subnautica less than a week ago, and this is the first full book I've read since my last re-reading of the moon is a harsh mistress a couple years ago.

How inspiring. That was an emotional ride I would gladly take again some time. There really arent words to express my appreciation at what you've put forth here. Absolutely marvelous stuff.
  • seapixie1seapixie1 Boise, ID USA Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 219958Members
    Quite impressive, and thank you. God, I love this game!!
  • nauticalperananauticalperana The land of the free and the home of the brave Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217491Members
    That was a good story! Thanks for sharing it with us, Bugzapper!
  • nauticalperananauticalperana The land of the free and the home of the brave Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217491Members
    Ok holy cow that was amazeballs. I basically took today off work to finish. I didn't realize how mercifully I missed the last pages of the story when I made my post first after only being a couple chapters in. I picked up subnautica less than a week ago, and this is the first full book I've read since my last re-reading of the moon is a harsh mistress a couple years ago.

How inspiring. That was an emotional ride I would gladly take again some time. There really arent words to express my appreciation at what you've put forth here. Absolutely marvelous stuff.
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    salsaman2 wrote: »
    This is to much reading

If you've reached this point... Rejoice!

This story's finished. Take a coffee break and start on 'Borealis Rising' tomorrow. ;)

I wonder what's gonna happen SOOOOO EXCITED LOVED THE STORY AND PLEASE TELL US THAT ALL THE AI'S WILL STILL BE IN AND PLEASE LET SELKIRK RIDE ON A REAPER LIKE A BAD ASS
    *bump*

This isn't necromancy. It's CPR. :)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited March 2017
    Always nice to stumble upon a story after it's completed. Like coming home and realizing you want to eat a pizza all to yourself, and realizing you retroactively went back in time and ordered one already, and it's being delivered right then.

Engineer Selkirk doesn't play games.

Also, does anyone else do this, but when you're reading a story (could be any story), you read the names wrong and pronounce them wrong in your head every time and realise that it is wrong but you continue to pronounce them that way anyway (I apologise, that was a terrible sentence). Like, for example, I always pronounce the protagonist's name as Sirlkek, regardless of the fact that it is actually Selkirk.

Anywho, awesome story Bugzapper. Keep it up :smiley:

I pronounced "Bilbo Baggins" "Biblo Baggins" for the longest time because I mis-read the name (didn't even see that I had it wrong for a while too).

EDIT: Oh, and spectacular work, too, Bugzapper, thanks very much for this. (I think I wore out the 'Awesome' button on all of your posts here.)

EDIT2: Since this is the last post here, I'll just drop this for any stumbling across this in the future: 'Borealis Rising' - a Subnautica Story v2.0
    i love your hitch hikers guide to the galaxy references bugzy
  • LocotoperusLocotoperus Australia Join Date: 2016-03-12 Member: 214131Members
    Hey, loved the story, but I just wanted to let you know that someone named Yomi stole your review. Link to it here: //steamcommunity.com/id/YaGoTNuBBeD/recommended/264710/
  • LocotoperusLocotoperus Australia Join Date: 2016-03-12 Member: 214131Members
    P.s only just joined, so I couldn't post the full link, but I thought you should know about this
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Originality is too much to hope for with some people. :(
    Hey, loved the story, but I just wanted to let you know that someone named Yomi stole your review. Link to it here: //steamcommunity.com/id/YaGoTNuBBeD/recommended/264710/

Many thanks for the heads-up on Mr./Ms./Missed Yomi, Mate.

I shall investigate this assertion. If Yomi-chan is guilty of plagiarism, there will be a reckoning.

*cracks knuckles*
    edited March 2018

*ahem*

I've done some digging around, and (after filling in the blanks) that partial link of yours sends me to a chap named DSdarkstar.

Not in fact, Yomi. Not directly anyway. Yomi is an alternate handle that he uses on Steam... Also noticed the ID "YaGoTNuBBeD" in there. Seems like a real FPS prince.

Would you care to elaborate further, Sir?
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    That link worked for me yesterday and took me to a Subnautica review. I saw Locotoperus's comment below it, calling him out and linking to your own review. I can confirm it was identical. Perhaps he deleted it?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Must have deleted it, I definitely saw it as well after plunking an https in front of the partial link a few days back.