[BUG][VR] Spawned in the lower level after docking into the cyclops [59783 steam]

vpelletiervpelletier Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234944Members
edited January 2018 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
How to reproduce:
  1. play in VR mode (seated, in case it makes any difference)
  2. get a cyclops and a seamoth (prawn not tested)
  3. pilot the seamoth and dock it to the cyclops

To repeat from a docked seamoth:
  1. enter docked seamoth (seamoth exits dock)
  2. exit seamoth
  3. re-enter seamoth
  4. re-dock

This exit-and-re-enter-seamoth step seems to be the one triggering the issue most reliably.

Effect:
Once docking animation finishes, player gets spawned in the world, but not on top of the seamoth.
Out of 4 tries, I was spawned:
  • 3 times in the bottom half of the cyclops, with the cyclops rolling (in pitch/yaw/roll sense) more or less severely to the right
  • 1 time I got spawned outside of the cyclops, and the cyclops launched into the air. To give an idea about how "launched" it got: I was above the jellyshroom cave entrance closest to the aurora, on the border with kelp forest, and the cyclops landed on top of the aurora, between the engines, a overhanging a bit from the back of the aurora. Too bad I did not think to screenshot...

Entering the seamoth seated and standing up right before docking does not improve the result: viewpoint is higher above seat/ground both before and after docking, and I still got spawned in the lower cyclops level.

Comments

• vpelletiervpelletier Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234944Members
    edited January 2018
    ...and of course, now that I posted this, my next 4 tries give:
    • 1 time spawned in the lower level, cyclops rolling and pitching, and sent about 30 meters down
    • 3 times spawned in the upper level, as expected

Timid shroedingbug syndrome ?

[EDIT]: This was without exiting & re-entering the seamoth while undocked.
    I should probably also mention that cyclops has quite some stuff inside: 2 indoor growbeds behind the docking bay, a small locker behind them (on the hull wall near the decoy tube), 12 large lockers in the room ahead of the docking bay, and small lockers all around the lower room ahead of the docking bay. Some are close to the door to the docking bay - maybe it could be this door colliding somehow after docking (I don't think it should move after the bay getting opened, but...) ? Nothing bad seems to happen when I operate the door myself.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    vpelletier wrote: »
    I should probably also mention that cyclops has quite some stuff inside: 2 indoor growbeds behind the docking bay, a small locker behind them (on the hull wall near the decoy tube), 12 large lockers in the room ahead of the docking bay, and small lockers all around the lower room ahead of the docking bay. Some are close to the door to the docking bay - maybe it could be this door colliding somehow after docking (I don't think it should move after the bay getting opened, but...) ? Nothing bad seems to happen when I operate the door myself.

Only one way to find out.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Only one way to find out.

True.

I tried some more and finally reproduced on an empty cyclops. I also identified a step which was natural during gameplay, but which I missed while trying to reproduce: I actually have to leave the seamoth before re-docking to trigger the issue. I edited the first post.
  • DarinethDarineth Join Date: 2016-05-01 Member: 216205Members
    I am having similar issues. Same game version (59783 Steam), and repeatedly am having the game hurl my cyclops almost 2 kilometers away through the air when docking the Seamoth in VR. I have zipped up my savegame, with me in the seamoth just next to the cyclops. Loading this game in VR and docking it should throw the cyclops far away, while the player falls into the water near where you docked.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xbe3mp603q9u3e/SubnauticaFlyingCyclopsBug.7z?dl=0
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Vancouver, BC Join Date: 2018-01-30 Member: 236237Members
    edited January 2018
    Darineth wrote: »
    I am having similar issues. Same game version (59783 Steam), and repeatedly am having the game hurl my cyclops almost 2 kilometers away through the air when docking the Seamoth in VR. I have zipped up my savegame, with me in the seamoth just next to the cyclops. Loading this game in VR and docking it should throw the cyclops far away, while the player falls into the water near where you docked.

Identical problem here...and in VR also. But happens on 2D screen too.
  • DredDred Join Date: 2017-10-10 Member: 233493Members
    I get this problem too with the PRAWN
  • DarinethDarineth Join Date: 2016-05-01 Member: 216205Members
    Just a tip for folks having this problem, if you hop out of the vehicle just as it gets grabbed for the docking animation, it won't cause the problem. You can make it easier by docking backwards so you have extra time while it rotates into place. This can at least get you past this annoying bug and still play in VR.
  • scroogemcduck666scroogemcduck666 Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236727Members
    Darineth wrote: »
    Just a tip for folks having this problem, if you hop out of the vehicle just as it gets grabbed for the docking animation, it won't cause the problem. You can make it easier by docking backwards so you have extra time while it rotates into place. This can at least get you past this annoying bug and still play in VR.

This fixed it for me. If it weren't for this workaround, I would have to wait for this bug to be fixed before I could play.
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Vancouver, BC Join Date: 2018-01-30 Member: 236237Members
    Strangely enough though, I haven't experienced the flying cyclops bug for the past +30hrs of game play now. Everything is working fine now on my system. I'm wondering if it's something to do with location on the map or depth of the cyclops. I've built a second base in and around the skull at 700m...so far all is good. I did have one experience of the tilting cyclops and being ejected into the cyclops bay below the Prawn since then, but everything leveled out a short time later.
  • gandlersgandlers United Kingdom Join Date: 2018-02-19 Member: 237924Members
    I'm also seeing this problem where i dont always exit the docking bay on the upper deck.
    I also had a time where i docked but ended up in the water with no cyclops or seamoth anywhere to be seen.
    After reading the thread it sounds like it had this bug and the cyclops got launched across the map.
    I found a safe-ish way to dock as a work-around: just get out of the seamoth before docking and push.

For the prawn suit, park it on a flat area or hilltop, and slowly and carefully lower the cyclops, checking through the keel camera (yay binocular vision for depth !).

In both cases, the vehicle gets pulled safely, at the expense of some extra planning and manoeuvres, but it does not break immersion (...well, less than seeing the cyclops shoot through the air, or slam on cave ceiling). Also, seeing the prawn lifted into the cyclops without piloting it feels so nice. No more "am I right under, or will I slam into it, pushing it further away and falling back down ?".