The Idea that should have been added.

Catsfan45Catsfan45 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235894Members
Hey All.

There is this one idea that was absolutely amazing that I really do think should have been added. That idea was the Atlas Submarine. For the people who may not have heard of this idea the Atlas was a fanmade Submarine that was meant to be even bigger than the Cyclops. Think of it as an underwater Neptune rocket. Now sure some people may be all like "It's far to big" or "It won't fit anywhere". Now sure I understand, but there are places I am sure it can fit and there are also places the Cyclops can't fit either. Biomes such as the Dunes, Grassy Plateaus, Mountains, Underwater Islands, Sparse Reef and etc. are places a vehicle such as the Atlas can easily fit in. If you would like to see what the Atlas looks like feel free to look it up and I really hope the devs can consider adding this vehicle because it was such a good idea.

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I'd like to say this is a good idea, but...
    Catsfan45 wrote: »
    "It's far to big" or "It won't fit anywhere"

• Catsfan45Catsfan45 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235894Members
    @SnailsAttack
    Biomes such as the Dunes, Grassy Plateaus, Mountains, Underwater Islands, Sparse Reef and etc. are places a vehicle such as the Atlas can easily fit in.

• ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    What's the point other than another submersible?

Also
    I'd like to say this is a good idea, but...
    "It's far to big" or "It won't fit anywhere"

• Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    It's not even fanmade. The "Beluga" as I think it's actually called, is an official sub concept that they probably won't ever add.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    A vehicle will be added if it meets the following
    1-it offers something no other vehicle can
    Really that is the only that is needed for the atlas to be implemented

Also the devs have said that if they're going to implement this sub they're going to do the model themselves because the model that has been made has a lot of flaws
    edited March 2018
    Yeah the fan model does not meet their standards. It has a very high polycount and is pretty poorly optimized. And while I'm not a dev, there are a lot of things in general about the layout of the thing and other liberties the fan took with the model that I don't agree with.
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    I have to agree with both sides. For one, it is definitely official that it's not going to be added in. Also on the same side, I can see the many reasons for rejecting it due to those problems and the drama with it. On the other hand though, it is an exceptionally amazing concept, and the modeler put tons of time into it; I remember waiting patiently for days to weeks to see the progress update, and it always got me so hyped. So we've concluded it's not going to happen officially, but why not unofficially? We have a great modding team, and compared to the multiplayer mod that's being created, it shouldn't be that difficult. That's my stand at least, and I'd like to hear yours!
    @jeod I understand that there seems to be drama with the whole topic but really even though people say its to big but it's just is not made for small areas that's all. There are biomes that go down to 0-500m in depth which is perfect for a vehicle like the Atlas. Even if they don't add the Atlas, I would like to see the devs add at least one more vehicle to the game. If there was problems with the Atlas model however I am sure they are capable of fixing the problems with it. Anyway Atlas or no Atlas I would just like to see another vehicle. :)
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    It's not even fanmade. The "Beluga" as I think it's actually called, is an official sub concept that they probably won't ever add.

I think it started as a concept art, but some player saw it and started making a 3D model for it and got pretty darned far.
  • jeodjeod Stuck in Aperture Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229591Members
    I think it started as a concept art, but some player saw it and started making a 3D model for it and got pretty darned far.

Yep, as far as the inside being simply decorated. It'd be a shame to throw away a year of work. Which is why I think a mod would be a fabulous idea. Just don't go around begging, you know?
    jeod wrote: »

Yep, as far as the inside being simply decorated. It'd be a shame to throw away a year of work. Which is why I think a mod would be a fabulous idea. Just don't go around begging, you know?

Morph_Guy mentioned something important though which is the poly count
    With its current poly count it can't be added because it will take your frame rate to the bottom if not crashing your game so I would definitely like see it in a mod one day but until its optimized and have animations and all that it won't be really soon
    @adel_50 Yeah of course. They would not just add a model in without doing anything with it :/
    @adel_50 Yeah of course. They would not just add a model in without doing anything with it :/

This model won't be added at all anyway so if they ever say that the atlas is going to be implemented then they're going to make the model from scratch
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2018
    There was an even bigger concept, judging from the bridge window size, called the Draconis

The Draconis was supposed to be in the same size class as the Cyclops.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2018

I know, but the thing is, they are doing it all wrong. The Aurora is supposed to be 1500m, but t looks more like it would be the size of the Enterprise D, not almost the size of a bloody Imperial-class Star Destroyer... Tell me, which one looks more believable. And the Draconis looks insanely big, based on it's features like windows and docking ports. Yet it is supposed to be "Cyclops size"

They've got serious sizing issues :D
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

I know, but the thing is, they are doing it all wrong. The Aurora is supposed to be 1500m, but t looks more like it would be the size of the Enterprise D, not almost the size of a bloody Imperial-class Star Destroyer... Tell me, which one looks more believable. And the Draconis looks insanely big, based on it's features like windows and docking ports. Yet it is supposed to be "Cyclops size"

They've got serious sizing issues :D

Americans. Had trouble converting feet to meters, obviously. :D
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    No we're just too lazy. Well by we I mean everyone expect me and a few others since I'm one of the few Americans who likes metric.
    No we're just too lazy. Well by we I mean everyone expect me and a few others since I'm one of the few Americans who likes metric.

It's not a matter of liking them. None of us Americans 'dislike' the system; nor are we prejudiced against or towards any system of measurement. We're, like you said, just too lazy to do what the rest of the world does.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Nothing wrong with using a different system. Americans are no more lazy for not converting to a different system as anyone else is for not converting to ours. Both are equally valid systems of measurement.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    The main reason is that there was a law passed in America that says people could learn metric. The thing was, it wasn't required to learn it, so most people didn't bother to learn it. Though, I think later another law was passed that made it required to use metric for science
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    I built the draconis in space engineers once...
    Wasn't this thread about the Atlas
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Wasn't this thread about the Atlas

The draconis is around 356% cooler.
    Sounds cool but can easily be destroyed by telling it to divide by zero
    edited March 2018
    As can most things.

Also 777 posts.
    edited March 2018
    Congrats, I would of gave you my last meatball pizza but someone else took it last night
  • ShaneoShaneo Join Date: 2018-03-11 Member: 238928Members
    @Catsfan45 If it does come into the game I imagine it will be DLC but not for the main game we know. A new level/mini campaign possibly in the future of the time the game is set. The floating islands merged then sunk again after 2000 years and made a new ecosystem in another area or something like that.
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    1,500M is 1.5 kilometers. That is close to a mile (which is 1.6 kilometers).