Cyclops Docking Station

2»

Comments

• BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    I wouldn't mind a much shorter Cyclops myself - maybe do away with the living area and cut the prop drive shaft down. Heaps more managable.
  • ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
    edited March 2018
    A few thoughts on a Cyclops Docking Station

1: Appearance
    A Half I Compartment - A compartment half the length of a regular I Compartment, only large enough for a ladder, which connects to the Cyclops through the Vertical Connector. The player would not be able to access the room unless a Cyclops is docked because of a unique Bulkhead with glass sides. Above the Bulkhead would show '[Cyclops Name] DOCKED." The left-side window would display an icon of the Cyclops' current power, and the right-side window would display an icon of the Cyclops' current health.
    B Docking Arms - Same design as the docking arms in the Moonpool, but facing up. This would keep the Cyclops in place and secure the Vertical Connector to the hatch on the bottom-front of the Cyclops. Also houses a beacon that only shows up when the Cyclops is within 50m of the Docking Station.
    C Docking Sequence - When the beacon shows up, a HUD Icon would appear on the Cyclops that would cause the AI to move the Cyclops in place. To disembark, the player would simply need to press the same button.

2: Material Cost - It would probably require several fragments, given that the Moonpool requires fragments to build. Given its simple design, it would not be necessary to cost a ton of resources.
    Costs for the individual components:
    Half-I Compartment (1 Titanium)
    Vertical Connector (2 Titanium)
    Ladder (2 Titanium)
    Unique Bulkhead (2 Glass, 1 Titanium, 1 Silicone Rubber)
    Part of a Moonpool (2 Lead, 1 Lubricant)
    In total: 6 Titanium, 2 Glass, 2 Lead, 1 Silicone Rubber, 1 Lubricant.

3: Power Consumption - A single Power Cell uses 30 energy per minute in a Power Cell Charger. 6 Power cells would take 180 energy per minute at the same rate or 3 energy per second. Perhaps the charge rate would be lower at the cost of taking longer to charge?

4: Spacing Questions
    -How would the Cyclops Docking Station "know" if there is not enough room for the Cyclops and prevent placement?
    -What could prevent base pieces from being placed that would block the Docking Station and Cyclops?
    -How tall is the Cyclops, affecting placement in shallow water or in caves?

5: Images - Note that the images feature a full I Compartment when the proposed idea is half of one.
    Image 1:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ibs9klv4TWfrarLSrR2U_24MfuKbJVKZ/view?usp=sharing
    Image 2
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EC2P9sTmg2xKbv9O41ZlrhKKTLWOQJdS/view?usp=sharing
    Image 3:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zjYoyVCm64xR450rrz6Rpnpywdb6rboe/view?usp=sharing
    Image 4:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aFDc7w_S-IkKGFYVEc4t0Enr5pySAKG-/view?usp=sharing
  • LordDregovLordDregov Join Date: 2018-02-14 Member: 237588Members
    Would it matter how the Cyclops comes in our would it have to be the same every time? If you have to dock in a certain heading (direction) you might want to think about runway lights...
    Announcement:
    On approach to docking station.
    Now departing docking station.

If you could name your base(s)
    Announcement:
    Alpha base on approach.
    Now departing soda base.
  • ryansearcyakryansearcyak Alaska Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238451Members
    edited March 2018
    LordDregov wrote: »
    Would it matter how the Cyclops comes in our would it have to be the same every time? If you have to dock in a certain heading (direction) you might want to think about runway lights...
    Announcement:
    On approach to docking station.
    Now departing docking station.

If you could name your base(s)
    Announcement:
    Alpha base on approach.
    Now departing soda base.

I thought that it would be an issue, but everywhere else that has a ladder, it will function regardless of the direction it faces, so it should not matter from which direction a Cyclops comes from. The only issue I truly see is if a base piece is placed that will prevent the docking from working properly. Perhaps an identical docking station will extend outward (minus the compartment and the ladder) and attach to the back of the Cyclops, and that hit box could be sufficient to prevent unwanted blockage. Having two connectors for the Cyclops would add further stability, rather than expecting the Cyclops to be unaffected with one point of contact. The runway lights idea is an intriguing addition to the new idea of a secondary docking port for the Cyclops (with the lights showing between the primary docking port and the secondary docking port. The runway lights could serve as a guide for the auto-pilot when docking.
  • LordDregovLordDregov Join Date: 2018-02-14 Member: 237588Members
    I do still looking the idea of the announcement being made "alpha base on approach" the only problem I can foresee is if your just going passed the base and not to the base. We might confused the game triggering the announcement when we weren't going to the base.
  • Orihalcon_ZAOrihalcon_ZA South Africa Join Date: 2018-02-13 Member: 237535Members
    I expect you to rather dock in such a way that the hatch you exit from in the front would connect with the base. Could go either way.
  • Catsfan45Catsfan45 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235894Members
    edited March 2018
    @TimeLord259

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Cyclops

Try scrolling down to the "Future Plans" section.

No Problem. :)
  • PAK5000PAK5000 USA Join Date: 2018-03-18 Member: 239276Members
    There is a moonpool at the alien base on the island that i parked my cyclops in. since there is power for lights , etc there, sure would be nice if we could charge the cyclops while it was sitting there. in lieu of a way to build a bigger moonpool for our bases. i don't think i would have built it if i had realized there was no way to recharge it. just build power cells constantly. and with the current moonpool too small, and the aurora a bit dangerous to park in, the alien containment\gun base seems like a nice temp fix. can i get a witness ?
  • EkUlEkUl Germany Join Date: 2017-05-03 Member: 230214Members
    edited March 2018
    This is a dream since I play SN. I hope the talented guys on NEXUS MODS will find a way to realize it.

And a full size Cyclops Docking Bay is not needed in my opinion. A simple vertical tube below the Cyclops hatch would be a solution. And a bit better would be a horizontal tube which allows to simply move into Cyclops without use (click) a hatch. Then in both cases a automatic charge function for the batteries inside the Cyclops. With this I would be very happy! :smiley:

edit:

@ryansearcyak

Very well thought out!
  • smerritt21smerritt21 UK Join Date: 2018-03-28 Member: 239577Members
    a docking station for the cyclops would be helpful.
  • GantrosGantros Join Date: 2018-03-27 Member: 239543Members
    I had a thought on a Cyclops dock that essentially served as a central hub for end-game bases in hazardous environments.
  • unbekannt02unbekannt02 Austria Join Date: 2018-05-10 Member: 240632Members
    I would place the docking ring right under the front window where the round glass thing is (idk if it has any purpose right now)
  • Death_VaderrrDeath_Vaderrr Australia Join Date: 2018-05-24 Member: 240897Members
    Even something a little less than a docking station would be good. I'm thinking of an automated cable that connects up to the side of your cyclops when you pull up within like 30 metres of your base which charges the cells off of the base. Although I do still subscribe to the ability to make a super big moonpool, which once you're in, can drain and you can walk out the bottom of your cyclops.
  • Migel_O_HaraMigel_O_Hara Join Date: 2018-05-27 Member: 240962Members
    This is 100% needed in game even if the crafting recipe is expensive!
  • T_PlayT_Play Join Date: 2020-01-11 Member: 257112Members
    edited January 2020
    How about a kind of boat shed? In other words, a room that can only be built under water if you move the Cyclops to it, two doors are opened and the Cyclops moves in automatically. When it is inside, the water is pumped out until the cyclops is completely dry. The whole maybe over two floors, so that you can get to the Cyclops from below.