Arctic DLC - free or paid?

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Anyone who didn't buy the game during early access
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    You don't have to be a jerk about it maalt. But, no, it won't be free. I'm going to guess around $20

Thats nearly the same price as the full game! I think somewhere in the 10-15$ price range would be more appropriate for the amount of content available, they're only going be spending around a year developing it from what I've heard.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Anyone who didn't buy the game during early access

You think we aren't entitled to it? Why would you want exclusivity?
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    Recursion wrote: »
    I'm going to get the artcic DLC, no matter how much it costs. I need those alien penguins.

Alienguins ftw!
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited March 2018
    Okay maalt you seem very confused once I brought up the cancelled special edition. So let me explain. Long time ago while the game was still in early access and the gun didn't exist. There was an idea for a version of subnautica called special edition. This edition would have the cutefish and the complete sound track. It would cost $30. The plan was also to give all early access players the special edition for free. So they would save about $10. As time went on, the devs realized they wouldn't have enough time to make special edition. If I'm remembering correctly it was scrapped around the castle and coffee update. Because of this, the cutefish and sound track were then changed to be in the game for everyone and special edition never saw the light of day.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    Who do you mean by you guys?

No.
    If the devs didn't ran out of time then all EA players would of got the special edition that would have the cutefish and sound track. This was sadly scrapped. But hey, at least most of them got the game at a cheaper price

We now all have the demonic Cuddle Fish :D
    They should at least have a discount for players who bought Subnautica in early access similar to Ksp’s upcoming dlc in which they made it free for players who have played since 2013. I think the devs should do that.

No there shouldn't. Its like saying you bought a train ticket so you should get a discount on the food. We are all equal, even if we bought the game early. We even already got a discount on the game itself.
    cdaragorn wrote: »
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We are making a paid expansion. We don't know how much it will cost yet.

Please make it be a lot!

Seriously, I want Subnautica development to continue to be funded :D

The idea that the game costing more = more $$ earned by the devs is a HUGE falsehood that seriously needs to die. They are honestly much more likely to make more money at a lower reasonable price. I for one wouldn't buy it at more then $20 simply because I can't afford to, no matter how much I like the game.

I totally agree. And i've learned if the price is lower, more people will buy it, leading to more sales.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Easy @jamintheinfinite_1, I was only teasing you. I'm well aware of the story.

Jokes aside, try not to feel like you were denied the special edition and focus on the nicer idea that everyone got it.
    I totally agree. And i've learned if the price is lower, more people will buy it, leading to more sales.
    @AnomalyDetected I agree partially with this. Both extremes are bad, the über expensive expansion and the dollar cheap DLC's who don't add anything to the game. Or worse yet, slicing the game into pieces and selling anything that isn't required for the game to run as DLC. Just picture how the game would be if the Seamoth was a DLC.
    I'm not saying I was denied it. I just brought it up because I have a habit of bring up random trivia.
  • SuppitchSuppitch Sweden Join Date: 2018-03-09 Member: 238800Members

Can you please, please give us some more information. Next year? this year? this summer?

I love this game, in my 30 year something gaming experiance ive never played such great survival game as this, it is absolut awesome. I almost cried when finishing this game, such a blessing.

Come on Obraxis, hint us!

• AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    edited March 2018
    Suppitch wrote: »

Can you please, please give us some more information. Next year? this year? this summer?

I love this game, in my 30 year something gaming experiance ive never played such great survival game as this, it is absolut awesome. I almost cried when finishing this game, such a blessing.

Come on Obraxis, hint us!

Wow, accusing me of saying that stuff, eh? Don't make me say words I never uttered fam.
  • IndomitableNigeIndomitableNige wales Join Date: 2018-03-09 Member: 238810Members
    paid DLC for subnautica.. yes plz take my money. love this game
    paid DLC for subnautica.. yes plz take my money. love this game
    The devs would gladly "borrow" all your money
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    You guys do have it. The special edition was scrapped

Wait, wait, what do you mean 'special edition'? What is this?
    You guys do have it. The special edition was scrapped

Wait, wait, what do you mean 'special edition'? What is this?

"The Special Edition" is a scrapped idea. It was basically a custom version those who bought the game pre-1.0 would have, which would have bonus features (The Cuddlefish, some others.)
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    edited March 2018
    ...in my 30 year something gaming experiance ive never played such great survival game as this...

Not sure you're serious here, but if you want a survival game, play The Long Dark. It's all survival and all hardcore, no SF tech, no magic. Subnautica by comparison is a nice exploration and building game with a survival aspect. Still a great game, warts and all, but the survival aspect is only one facet of it and far from hardcore, even in its hardcore mode.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    ...in my 30 year something gaming experiance ive never played such great survival game as this...

Not sure you're serious here, but if you want a survival game, play The Long Dark. It's all survival and all hardcore, no SF tech, no magic. Subnautica by comparison is a nice exploration and building game with a survival aspect. Still a great game, warts and all, but the survival aspect is only one facet of it and far from hardcore, even in its hardcore mode.

QFT
  • HCP2311HCP2311 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235914Members
    I would hope it is a paid DLC.
  • ANZAC69ANZAC69 New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221808Members
    the dlc will be paid. but who cares the game is great and many will pay for it no matter what!!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2018
    I once placed and ad for my old lawnmower, take it off my hands for free and no one called... Then I placed the same ad after the time ran out on the previous one. However this time, I placed it at €10 and people called.

People want to pay money, it seems it gives them some kind of validation to get it because it's quality :tongue:
  • HCP2311HCP2311 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235914Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I once placed and ad for my old lawnmower, take it off my hands for free and no one called... Then I placed the same ad after the time ran out on the previous one. However this time, I placed it at €10 and people called.

People want to pay money, it seems it gives them some kind of validation to get it because it's quality :tongue:

I'm that kind of person. lol I'm just too suspicious of free things.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    HCP2311 wrote: »

I'm that kind of person. lol I'm just too suspicious of free things.

Well, I also have this rare bag of high quality air. Care to make an offer? :tongue:
  • Ryuu_CZRyuu_CZ Česko Join Date: 2018-03-12 Member: 238933Members

if it cost 5€ to 10€ it will be best but if more than 15€ it be too much ... base game 28€ and DLC 20€?? ... are you EA ? ... pls no ... dot have same idea as EA
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members

Most people are suspicious of free items. "You get what you pay for" and "there's no such thing as a free lunch" certainly come to mind.
  • william1134william1134 Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226439Members
    It really depends on how much has been added.

If it is just a small biome then I would lean towards free. If it is an extensive expansion then paid would be fine.
  • ResilientPanda0ResilientPanda0 Join Date: 2017-10-02 Member: 233359Members
    You should make it around $15
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    I don't think it'll be worth any more than $10 if they're aiming for a year of development.
  • Catsfan45Catsfan45 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235894Members
    Yeah I would say it would cost around 10-20$ like AnomalyDetected said. Although there might be a sale with the release of it just like there was with the release of the full game.
  • TheHappyRaiderTheHappyRaider USA Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236929Members
    Amadeone wrote: »
    As the title says, I ask if the arctic DLC will be free or not? If not, I'll buy it nonetheless.

I never heard of a DLC! Is it confirmed?
    It was confirmed that the game will have DLC before the big bang
  • AmadeoneAmadeone YES Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230194Members
    Amadeone wrote: »
    As the title says, I ask if the arctic DLC will be free or not? If not, I'll buy it nonetheless.

I never heard of a DLC! Is it confirmed?

Yes. First(I'm like 80% sure there will be more) will be the arctic dlc.