3D printed Cuddlefish

Comments

• BobafBobaf Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224974Members
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Foppemoa wrote: »
    I've made a new version of the body, which supports 7mm googly eyes.
    Because... Why not...

nrygfl6mblft.jpg

When your friend mentions Subnautica.
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    About how large is it?
  • FoppemoaFoppemoa Join Date: 2018-02-13 Member: 237551Members
    About how large is it?

~17,5cm long.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited March 2018
    About how large is it?

0f1d040f785442ab1e4606499b7154b9--so-funny-funny-memes.jpg

(I'm sorry, I couldn't resist... I regret nothing!)
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    About how large is it?

This is weird to me, mainly because I've always seen you a female in my head.

(I know you're male, but all I know is your profile picture. )
    (And yes, I'm not one to talk.)
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    I'd most likely buy a cuddlefish or peeper plushie if they became a thing. Love your model!
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    About how large is it?

Yeah, but now I can view your profile and post the same image on every comment you've ever written that is something which micheal scott has probably said.
    y2mx8fx4iem9.jpg
    You are personally responsible for ruining 15% of this post
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    arramus wrote: »
    Those are tiny appendages which the cuddlefish eventually evolved out of. Likely tentacles or little claws like on the sandshark.

I agree, and I expect they would have evolved to continue to serve a functional purpose. An abundance of nerve endings would offer sensitivity for judging proximity of surroundings which is particularly useful in confined and dark spaces spaces much like whiskers on a rodent.

And as for the 3D printed cuddlefish, it's just absolutely wonderful.

If this is so, why don't the almost identical protrusions on the sand-shark face upwards into the sand rather than downwards? The sandshark obviously can't see things above the sand and so must detect things with some sort of... sure, 'whisker'. Although, I guess that its fin might do the trick. It just seems that if those small digits were sensory protrusions, the sandshark would put them to work if two different branches of evolution still maintained that trait. Unless, of course, the sandshark has to be mindful of predation. It only ever attacks things as they move above it, but what if there's something which they themselves are humbled by besides the reapers? Something... always slithering and... burrowing in its own sinister way where light can't reach it in its own foul, dank, eyeless world. something which has evolved with clamp-like mandibles strong enough to crack a sandshark's shell. This creature would live only to hunt and eat and burrow. And would probably have gone extinct long ago if the sandshark's ancestors developed extra-sensory organs!
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    edited March 2018
    I never understood why a fat squid with big, googly eyes and a wide smile is so universally thought of as "cute", but then a lot of people find pugs cute too. I find both hideous. That said, great job producing a printable result from the game file.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I never understood why a fat squid with big, googly eyes and a wide smile is so universally thought of as "cute", but then a lot of people find pugs cute too. I find both hideous. That said, great job producing a printable result from the game file.

Finally, a kindred spirit! You wonderful soul, have the ability to discern repugnant creatures for what they are. @GlassDeviant, you have my eternal gratitude! :love:
    kingkuma wrote: »

It is true that I'm a male IRL, but that simple misunderstanding is the best compliment anyone's given me. You've absolutely made my day, @kingkuma! :blush:
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    Haha! I am surprised anyone else dislikes them.

P.S.: *shrug* What does gender mean anymore? Nothing really. My daughter is dating/lives with a trans, that took some adjusting for my 50 year old, calcified mind. (I hope that's a permissible thing to say in the forum, if not just delete the whole P.S. please, or I will do it upon receipt of a moderator request).

Finally, a kindred spirit! You wonderful soul, have the ability to discern repugnant creatures for what they are. @GlassDeviant, you have my eternal gratitude! :love:
    kingkuma wrote: »

It is true that I'm a male IRL, but that simple misunderstanding is the best compliment anyone's given me. You've absolutely made my day, @kingkuma! :blush:

For all those who still think that Crashfish would make a superior (and less grotesquely disturbing) pet than the Cuddlefish... think again. I thought this at one point before I saw this bit with my camera drone:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/913541198057255956/C42536F37154B980755BF1DFFC0416B9E44AE874/
    Crashfish stalker says: "I'm watching you"
    Oh! Oh!!!!!! Have you guys seen the little pink lizard from Twisty Bridges? Awesome pet idea!!! Could come in different colors, could glide through the water like a squirrel glider dude, would have huge unblinking gecko eyes which it could lick with its tongue, and could just sorta' hop through combat without any harassment from predators due to its hideously poisonous flesh!!!

And also... A lava larva pet might be pretty cute... you know, you could train him to grip onto your backpack with his suction cup and follow you places! Although you'd have to feed him batteries... but then you could recharge them later! And he can always just grip onto the sides of your base when not doing anything! His little face tendrils could wiggle around when he does tricks and it'd be awesome.
  • FoppemoaFoppemoa Join Date: 2018-02-13 Member: 237551Members
    edited March 2018
    Oh! Oh!!!!!! Have you guys seen the little pink lizard from Twisty Bridges? Awesome pet idea!!! Could come in different colors, could glide through the water like a squirrel glider dude, would have huge unblinking gecko eyes which it could lick with its tongue, and could just sorta' hop through combat without any harassment from predators due to its hideously poisonous flesh!!!

Look closer at that demon lizard.

It has a huge Stabby-McDeath-Poking-Claw™ on its tail.

• AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    I WILL LEGIT PAY YOU UP TO $100 FOR THIS PLZ!

Now that that's out of my system...

I love it, it's so adorable. Great job.
    Foppemoa wrote: »

Look closer at that demon lizard.

It has a huge Stabby-McDeath-Poking-Claw™ on its tail.

Wrong! No! It's like a jellyfish squid hand membranous thing that's transparent.
  • VeridVerid Join Date: 2018-03-15 Member: 239078Members
    @Foppemoa - great job. I was thinking about resource extracting myself but I couldn't find suitable tool so I had to draw my Cyclops from scratch.

...and version with goggly eyes....man, I have to print it!
    Hah. My friend literally just told me that the hoverfish would make an amazing pet creature today.
  • VeridVerid Join Date: 2018-03-15 Member: 239078Members
  • Gamerman47Gamerman47 Join Date: 2018-03-18 Member: 239277Members
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Verid wrote: »
    Done.

It turned out awesomely!

• catazoancatazoan Join Date: 2018-03-14 Member: 239053Members
  • SchlomoSchlomo Join Date: 2005-03-07 Member: 44135Members, Constellation
    I would buy an official plush cuddlefish. I might actually cuddle it!
  • vpelletiervpelletier Join Date: 2018-01-10 Member: 234944Members
    I never understood why a fat squid with big, googly eyes and a wide smile is so universally thought of as "cute", but then a lot of people find pugs cute too. I find both hideous.

+1. Jar-jar Binks did something not very clear with a dwarf killer whale, and bam the first cuddlefish was born. Received more DNA from the father.
    catazoan wrote: »
    @Tarkannen I agree about the cuddle fish part. Those things are weird. But I mean, come on is this not the cutest?
    sqzcskq6g1d2.jpg

+100 ! Hoverfish forevah ! Picked one once with an empty belt slot, never ate one again. VR made it even more striking. One of the rare cases where I extended my hand IRL. I hit the nearest shelf. Cue disappointment.