Infection Bug (Not sure if bug) [59783]

SaradorieSaradorie Join Date: 2018-02-18 Member: 237847Members
I am currently attempting an infection free run in hardcore mode.
I noticed that I only become infected (through self scanning) when close to certain places such as the gun island and crash site. By avoiding those areas I have avoided becoming infected (all my self scans show 'Normal') and have got a cyclops and have headed to the lava zone (I hope to reach the central contaiment facility before becoming infected) but as soon as I get into the lava zone, ~ 1100m, I progress imediatly to a visable infection (green sores on hands).
I do not know if this is a bug or intentional to prevent an infection free run. I had hoped to get into the lava zone infection free so I can collect kyanite crystals and nickel ore for my cyclops upgrades.

Comments

• CaiobrzCaiobrz Brazil Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236501Members
    edited February 2018
    That is how the plot works, that is not a bug.

You are infected the instant you land on the planet, you just cannot detect it because your scanner does not have information on the bacteria until you visit the containment facility. It does tell you are "healthy" but with "elevated bacteria levels" since the first scan (anytime)
  • SaradorieSaradorie Join Date: 2018-02-18 Member: 237847Members
    Not entirely true, as I described earlier the scanner will begin self scanning as 'Infected' after getting too close to the crashed ship or the gun island, you dont even have to enter either, just be in the vicinity. And I did not enter the containment facility, I got the advanced infection directly from 'normal' simply by descending to below 1100m.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I'm sure it's intentional, as doing otherwise wouldn't fit the storyline.
    *Edit
    Advanced visable infection occours at 1000m regardless of previous infection level.
    Been I while and I assume this post is long dead, but still hoping for an answer as to whether this is a bug or intentional, wanting to know if I should give up on an 'infection free' run. I suppose getting to the lava zone infection free isn't too bad.
  • CaiobrzCaiobrz Brazil Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236501Members
    give up already, its part of the plot, its like wanting to do a aurora-dont-crash run
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Caiobrz wrote: »
    give up already, its part of the plot, its like wanting to do a aurora-dont-crash run

You are not infected upon landing on the planted. Infection state is not updated to a state of 1 until after reaching the gun island. The deeper you go and more places you see, the value rises from a min of 1 to a max of 3. At 4, the value begins visual effects.

By bypassing the load triggers for a value of 1, 2, or 3, you can be completely un-infected. This can keep you fine. But, upon reaching 1000m below, your value is auto set to 4. This means you can go from 0 (Default) to 4.

That's the bug. He's not trying to do a no infection run. He actually found a legitimate thing.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I don't see it as a bug, they want you to be fully infected before you get the cure. The skipping stages 1-3 just means your infection was not detected by the pda until you reached that point.

The original poster is trying to do a no-infection run, and it's just not possible.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    narfblat wrote: »
    I don't see it as a bug, they want you to be fully infected before you get the cure. The skipping stages 1-3 just means your infection was not detected by the pda until you reached that point.

The original poster is trying to do a no-infection run, and it's just not possible.

While, yes, they may have been trying to do one, this still doesn't change the fact this is a bug.

The story makes the infection increase in value of 1, going 1, 2, 3, until it reaches a value of 4. Jumping to a value of 4 should not happen, as it means you were not infected until reaching the 4 trigger. The game is meant to have you go from a value of 1 to 2, 2 to 3, then 3 to 4. Going from a value of 0 (Un-Infected) to 4 (Final Infection Stage) is considered a "glitch" as it should not happen.
    The player in question intentionally skipped a large part of the game. This is also going to skip story progress, including portions of disease progression. This is an open-world game, and the developers had to ensure that the story would progresses correctly if the player a portion - they need to have a disease before they can try to cure it. They do have force-fields, but players might just cheat keys.

This is not a bug, but a fail-safe to make the story make as much sense as possible when portions are skipped. We could maybe call it a bug if this same thing happened when we go 1000m deep in the void outside the volcanic crater where we have crash-landed, but even that would be arguable.
    narfblat wrote: »
    The player in question intentionally skipped a large part of the game. This is also going to skip story progress, including portions of disease progression. This is an open-world game, and the developers had to ensure that the story would progresses correctly if the player a portion - they need to have a disease before they can try to cure it. They do have force-fields, but players might just cheat keys.

This is not a bug, but a fail-safe to make the story make as much sense as possible when portions are skipped. We could maybe call it a bug if this same thing happened when we go 1000m deep in the void outside the volcanic crater where we have crash-landed, but even that would be arguable.

I understand what you are saying. I really do.

But the problem is it should not jump from a value of 0 to 4. It should always progress in sequential order.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited March 2018
    Lore wise you are infected as soon as you jump in the water. So technically speaking, an infectionless would be impossible. Gameplay wise this should also be true as self scan has always showed me as infected even if I haven't been to the infection triggers. Anyways the reasons why it says you are infected as soon as you went to the lava zone is that the lava zone is a backup trigger for the infection cutscene that usually plays in the DRF.

There was also a trello card stating the infections triggers

Stage 1
    This one I cant remember but I think the card said this either happens from the water like in lore or just when the game starts. I gotten the scanner to say infected for me without going to the gun or near the Aurora

Stage 2
    Aurora
    Back up trigger for Aurora: mountains

Stage 3
    Gun
    Back up trigger for the gun: Lost River

Stage 4
    Touching the Terminal in the DRF
    Back up trigger: Lava Zone

Stage 5
    Player cures them self

Stage 61896716791
    Trusting the devs
    Back up trigger: talking to foxy
    Reaching this stage causes you to worship the devs like gods and make them memes
    Lore wise you are infected as soon as you jump in the water. So technically speaking, an infectionless would be impossible. Gameplay wise this should also be true as self scan has always showed me as infected even if I haven't been to the infection triggers. Anyways the reasons why it says you are infected as soon as you went to the lava zone is that the lava zone is a backup trigger for the infection cutscene that usually plays in the DRF.

There was also a trello card stating the infections triggers

Stage 1
    This one I cant remember but I think the card said this either happens from the water like in lore or just when the game starts. I gotten the scanner to say infected for me without going to the gun or near the Aurora

Stage 2
    Aurora
    Back up trigger for Aurora: mountains

Stage 3
    Gun
    Back up trigger for the gun: Lost River

Stage 4
    Touching the Terminal in the DRF
    Back up trigger: Lava Zone

Stage 5
    Player cures them self

Stage one is incorrect. You now are considered Un-infected upon start until reaching trigger 2/3.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Okay, but the whole ocean is full of kharaa. So lore wise you would still be infected as soon as you go into the water
    Okay, but the whole ocean is full of kharaa. So lore wise you would still be infected as soon as you go into the water

While that does make sense, self-scan right after jumping in the water. Then self-scan 20m later. The bacterium hasn't infected you, they even have a voice clip in-game.
  • Gamerman47Gamerman47 Join Date: 2018-03-18 Member: 239277Members
    Sorry dude. But it does not seem possible to not get infected.
  • DarkE69lfDarkE69lf Join Date: 2018-05-07 Member: 240590Members
    I noticed, while in a creative mode game, that even though I hadn't touched the water (building a base immediately & just building towards the Aurora), I still was infected before finishing building to the Aurora, without ever touching water. Is this intentional?
  • QardrusQardrus Ireland, Dublin, Royal canal Ave, 47 Join Date: 2020-04-05 Member: 259649Members
    Hello, you have got it all wrong. Here is a recommendation from me: Only use your scanner if you really need to. the thing is, if you looked at the databank in your PDA , Advanced, it said that your scanner is infected. Your PDA is right, here it the Truth: the first ever time you went into water with the scanner, some of the things you scanned were infected, and your scanner (for some reason) took some of the bacterium while you were scanning those things, after you used you scanner one (1) time, use it rarely after. I noticed this right after I made a new world (and only after my scanner said I was infected), I started a new world, and then I noticed this
  • QardrusQardrus Ireland, Dublin, Royal canal Ave, 47 Join Date: 2020-04-05 Member: 259649Members
    there is one more stage, 3284458645823628473763872893094387289156483927, in that stage, you die