Hive skill difference vs winratio

peblpebl Join Date: 2016-02-09 Member: 212816Members
I was accused of pulling number out of my ass yesterday when I mention right at the start of game the likelihood of marines winning.
I was not aware of how difficult it was to copy urls into the game, so I decided to make a post about it instead.

First here is a link of how it theoretically should look like (stolen from @Nordic ) in wolfram.
Here is some wonitor urls that should show the same curve (win ratio) vs hive skill difference:

House of Awesome!
Thirsty Onos
DiamondGamers
Survival of the Fattest
NS2Large

I would say they match the curve ok.
So in the grand scheme; a hive skill difference really matters (no matter what ppl claim), and therefor your hive skill really tell something about you (no matter what a lot of ppl will claim),
and perhaps splitting hive skill in alien/marines may not be that important (too few where it matters/or they underestimate their value on their bad team).
And most important - do reshuffle if the hive skill difference is large, even if the game already have begone.
And a plea - if you are that elite that you change the hive skill difference significant - dont join a game midtgame.

Note that
1) this tells nothing about how good the shuffle heuristic is (at all).
2) Yes the graphs are messy in the extremes.
3) That is why I care about hive skill.

Comments

• AmbivalentAmbiguityAmbivalentAmbiguity Miami, FL Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194129Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2018
    I was with you right up until this part:
    pebl wrote: »
    And a plea - if you are that elite that you change the hive skill difference significant - dont join a game midtgame.

If you're going to request this, then you damn well better request the inverse too. Especially if you want to talk of fairness. If averages are in the mid two thousands (and they frequently are), then you had better make a similar plea that anyone in the low hundreds needs to not join midgame, either.

Dead weight can ruin a game just as easily.

I suspect this wouldn't go over too well with a lot of people who feel that high skilled players are the "problem", though.

edit: grammar/spelling
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @AmbivalentAmbiguity deadweight players have no impact until matched by a higher-skilled player the other team, at that point they have negative utility for taking up a player spot.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow

If you're going to request this, then you damn well better request the inverse too. Especially if you want to talk of fairness. If averages are in the mid two thousands (and they frequently are), then you had better make a similar plea that anyone in the low hundreds needs to not join midgame, either.

Dead weight can ruin a game just as easily.

I suspect this wouldn't go over too well with a lot of people who feel that high skilled players are the "problem", though.

edit: grammar/spelling
    You should elaborate this. How does "dead weight" impact your chance of winning?

Like, I understand how a dead weight could influence a 6v6 competitive match. And I understand having a dead weight blocking a potential spot. But in a pub game where you already have made teams, and someone joins along midgame.. How is he making your chances *worse* than having nobody at all?

It's not like dota where a bad team mate will feed the opponent with gold and exp. If a team mate does poorly, at worst he clogs up the infantry portals a little bit or takes a few too many eggs.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    To be fair, I got the link from @moultano so he deserves the original credit. I only bring it up occasionally so that maybe others will remember it. Moultano has other little bits of gold if you look through his awesomed posts.
  • AmbivalentAmbiguityAmbivalentAmbiguity Miami, FL Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194129Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2018
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    You should elaborate this. How does "dead weight" impact your chance of winning?

Like, I understand how a dead weight could influence a 6v6 competitive match. And I understand having a dead weight blocking a potential spot. But in a pub game where you already have made teams, and someone joins along midgame.. How is he making your chances *worse* than having nobody at all?

It's not like dota where a bad team mate will feed the opponent with gold and exp. If a team mate does poorly, at worst he clogs up the infantry portals a little bit or takes a few too many eggs.

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to list the multitude of reasons why and how a dead weight player can impact a game.

Frankly, I'm advocating fairness. If a higher skilled player than the average can't join, than neither should a lower skilled.

At the end of the day the two responses prove my point. Everyone's okay with screwing over a higher skilled player who wants to play, but not the lower skilled.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2018
    Here is the same graph with data from all wonitor recording servers that I know of.
    yyJfNUY.png

With the same data I added the constraint of games with an average 2000 or more hive skill. I was thinking the curve might break down at that skill level. This sample still has thousands of games in it, and more than any individual server does from the links in the OP. It still holds up fairly well even at the higher skill levels.
    HMOpGUl.png

This makes me wonder how players would react if they were provided this information. What if NS2+ showed the average skill level and showed the theoretical chance of each team winning based on the function shared in the OP. I wouldn't think that would be programmatically hard to make. The hard part would be getting a modder to do it and to get UWE to accept the addition into NS2+ on github.
  • peblpebl Join Date: 2016-02-09 Member: 212816Members
    If you're going to request this, then you damn well better request the inverse too.

Ahh, I completely agree with you; the inverse is bad too. However the ppl reading this forum are not from that (hive skill) group.
    Secondly I think you overestimates how many games are 2500+, so I seldom if ever see this inverse problem. Average skill games.
    But I should have worded it differently.

Nordic wrote: »
    What if NS2+ showed the average skill level and showed the theoretical chance of each team winning based on the function shared in the OP. I wouldn't that that would be programmatically hard to make. The hard part would be getting a modder to do it and to get UWE to accept the addition into NS2+ on github.

I did try to find a good estimate but it is not that easy. So I made the second best; A hive skill end game graph in ns2+ instead: pull request, and hope ppl get a better idea of when 100 skill points matter on which servers and with X amount of players.

edited March 2018
    I did try to find a good estimate but it is not that easy. So I made the second best; A hive skill end game graph in ns2+ instead: pull request, and hope ppl get a better idea of when 100 skill points matter on which servers and with X amount of players.
    Would it not be as simple as converting the math in that wolfram alpha page into a function, and then use find the difference between hive skill averages and input that value into the function to get a percentage? I am not a programmer, nor am I skilled enough to get into any advanced maths. Please educate me.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2018
    Reading through the code again, I think the exact curve should be this for mapping average skill difference to game prediction if the teams have the same number of players. (Just changing the 100 to 200)

There could be some systematic over or underestimation depending on the size of the games. The model makes assumptions about how skills combine as the game size increases that could be off in practice, and off by a different amount for each game size. The model assumes that the effect of one good players is diluted as the games get bigger, and that all the games should get closer to a tossup as game size gets bigger. (An alternative that would give the predictions the same variance at every gamesize would divide the skill difference by the sqrt of the number of players instead of the number itself.)
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    moultano wrote: »
    Reading through the code again, I think the exact curve should be this for mapping average skill difference to game prediction if the teams have the same number of players. (Just changing the 100 to 200)

In my opinion the Winrate of the aliens need to be higher than 50% with Hiveskill for example 2k vs 2k... even seperate hiveskills won't help much.

I think the biggest issue is that there quite some people that have higher hiveskill than they should've because they're winning games against much stronger enemies from time to time they shouldn't have via Tunnel/Baserush. (At any point during the game)

Especially on lowerskilled (1500-200) servers I notice those things... so If I'm alien with guys like those my only choice is to win with them via baserush or play lerk like a frigging lawnmower, because their alienplay is so incredibly bad... it's insane... but they know how to sneak through in order to get a tunnel and baserush...

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I'd rly like to know how many % of the alien wins are due to gorge tunnel rush
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    Mephilles wrote: »

I have wanted to know this for ages!
    Yet we have no stats on gorge tunnels. I gave my best shot at estimating it and the number was really low and people here gave very valid criticism of the stats. Most of you probably remember this, but my point is that we won't get those stats anytime soon.
  • skav2skav2 Join Date: 2007-05-28 Member: 61037Members, Reinforced - Gold
    From the graphs it seems the aliens win more often at any skill level and more so at increased differences. Even when marines have higher skills the aliens have a better chance of winning than marines in the same situation. I wonder how these numbers would look if they implemented the gorge tunnel change suggestions from the other thread.
  • HandschuhHandschuh Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44338Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Community Developer
    edited March 2018
    Yet we have no stats on gorge tunnels. I gave my best shot at estimating it and the number was really low and people here gave very valid criticism of the stats. Most of you probably remember this, but my point is that we won't get those stats anytime soon.

The issue is that it happens, and it happens while the teams are incredibly unbalanced... ;-)
    So a number doesn't respresent the "hiveskillvalue"

I remember days on 8bit server with a baserushtunnel every game... several times... it only worked on every 3rd game... but still....
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The hail-mary victories in NS2 are one of the reasons I chose to use the Logistic Curve in the skill system instead of the gaussian cdf which many other skill systems use.
    edited March 2018
    Handschuh wrote: »

The issue is that it happens, and it happens while the teams are incredibly unbalanced... ;-)

The attempt at getting even a rough estimate didn't even use hive skill. I have quoted the information.
    Bacillus wrote: »
    Is it possible to browse the match information and recognize matches where marines gathered significant amount of resources compared to aliens, but still lost? Some kind of rule like that could help understand the effect of base rushes.

Given the data sources I have, @Nintendows and I tried to figure out a rough estimate.

Using wonitor data there are 48,408 non-rookie only games between 12-24 players. 24,834 of those games were alien wins. Aliens won 51.3% of games in this sample.
    There were 403 alien wins in games ending with aliens on 1 hive, aliens having <4 RT's, marines having >=4 RT's, and were over 10 minutes long.
    403/24,834 = 2%
    An estimated less than 2% of alien wins ended in a desperate rush going by wonitor data

Using sponitor data there are 21,287 non-rookie only games between 12-24 players. 11,136 of those games were alien wins. Aliens won 52.3% of games in this sample.
    There were 332 alien wins ending with marines having >=50% more res than aliens, and were over 10 minutes long.
    332/11,136 = 3%
    An estimated less than 3% of alien wins ended in a desperate rush going by by sponitor data.

I limited to games over 10 minutes, because bilebomb typically comes out between 7 and 9.5 minutes.

Overall it seems that very few desperate rushes are successful, tunnel or otherwise. If we trust the conditions I have listed, then we can assume that tunnel rushes cause an unexpected alien win in less than 2% of games.

I am pretty surprised by this myself. Less than 2% of games seems much lower than I expected. The conditions make sense though, but that doesn't mean they are right. What do you guys think of the conditions used?
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

I remember days on 8bit server with a baserushtunnel every game... several times... it only worked on every 3rd game... but still....

It seems to be the default desperation strat.
    edited March 2018
    Mouse wrote: »
    It seems to be the default desperation strat.
    It is the if you are struggling a little strat in some servers.
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2018
    Not sure I understand the main line of discussion here but as a "hive skilled" player (one time I reached 5000 on the russian servers and then I came to the conclusion that I should artificially reduce it to improve game experience) I would say a couple words about hive skill problems.

1) Big skill values above 4000 entirely spoils field player's game experience if you playing hive shuffled match because it doesn't make difference between alien or marine or commander. So if you shuffled in a team with average skill below 2500 probably you have to carry them. You can't play commander or your team will suffer from lack of field skill (that's frustrating since often I want to play it). Also you there is a BIG difference between your possibility to carry your team by aliens and by marines (you can shoot plenty of aliens if you medspamed well but most likely you will face problems with killing more than 2 marines for a short period of time as alien).
    In practice it leads to the low alien winrate for that kind of players and high marine winrate. It doesn't affect player's hive skill since player has 50% chance to play marines or aliens. But for example if you are an alien player with 1800 hive skill, server has average skill 2300 and you has one or two players in your team with skill above 3800 there is a very little possibility you will win that round (maybe ~20%).

2) Whole game has a big problem with marine winrate in low skilled matches (below 2000 I suppose) because marine gameplay is less forgiving mistakes while as alien player in low skilled match you can just play faceroll all the time and SUDDENLY marines lose everything they got. I don't think it's a crucial problem but could be solved too if devs will come up with a separated skill system.
    edited March 2018
    Not sure I understand the main line of discussion here
    The main line of discussion is how realistic this linked theoretical function of win rate by hive skill differences is. Pebl showed graphs that showed that the theoretical matched the data fairly well.
    2) Whole game has a big problem with marine winrate in low skilled matches (below 2000 I suppose)
    We have graphs for that too. This is with all recorded data from wonitor. The average "average game skill" is going to be about 1400 for this graph.
    P7SfE6T.png

Not sure I understand the main line of discussion here
    The main line of discussion is how realistic this linked theoretical function of win rate by hive skill differences is. Pebl showed graphs that showed that the theoretical matched the data fairly well.
    2) Whole game has a big problem with marine winrate in low skilled matches (below 2000 I suppose)
    We have graphs for that too. This is with all recorded data from wonitor. The average "average game skill" is going to be about 1400 for this graph.
    P7SfE6T.png

That's an awesome graph, and really confirms that rookies are terrible aliens. I wonder if the likelihood of high skill games to have a high skill difference confounds things a little bit? If the skill differences for high skill games are more likely to be far from 0, then this might push the observed average to be closer to 0.5 than it would be naturally since the skill difference would dominate the race bias. Still pretty compelling chart either way. If it's possible you could plot avg(abs(skill difference)) vs avg skill.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Question? When is a games skill difference determined for these graphs?

Could you clean up the graphs by
    A) only showing games where the skill difference only varied by a small percent throughout tge game
    B) used the average skill difference of the game.
    maD_maX_ wrote: »

A) only showing games where the skill difference only varied by a small percent throughout tge game

As far as I understand it, the skill differences recorded are how the game ended not how it began. So we have no context on if the skill changed throughout the game, only how it ended.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

As far as I understand it, the skill differences recorded are how the game ended not how it began. So we have no context on if the skill changed throughout the game, only how it ended.

Iirc there's a trend that shows that aliens tend to win longer games. I wonder how the average game length changes as skill levels change; then whether there's a correlation between skill level, game length, and win rates.
    e.g.: Games are shorter in low skill games, which leads to more marine wins.
    edited March 2018
    If the Data is only recorded right before the game ends then the relevance of these game-statistics can be questioned as well.
  • HobbesonHobbeson New York Join Date: 2015-12-04 Member: 209723Members
    If the Data is only recorded right before the game ends then the relevance of these game-statistics can be questioned as well.

^

Why does it calculate this way? The hive skill at the end of the round seems like the least relevant skill value for predicting wins. And it seems like players on the losing team more frequently quit before the end. (I'm not sure whether low or high elo players would have a greater tendency to quit before the end, but just given that there are many more of the former, I'd guess that late game rage quits tend to drag up the losing team's elo.)
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    There are death heatmaps in wonitor so it definately is not only recording at the end of the round. It is sending the data to wonitor at the end of the round though.
    edited March 2018
    Always question the data to ensure that the stats are good. Wonitor is our best dataset. Understanding what data wonitor collects and how it collects it is important to know if the stats are worth anything. With the stats I post, I usually(hopefully) usually say something about potential problems with the stats or data validity if I think it is questionable.
    Hobbeson wrote: »
    Why does it calculate this way?
    Wonitor is designed to be performance friendly. Wonitor collects its data at the end of a round to not affect game performance during the round.
    There are death heatmaps in wonitor so it definately is not only recording at the end of the round. It is sending the data to wonitor at the end of the round though.
    The deathmaps are for those servers who enable wonitor 2.0 which has additional features but also additional bandwidth and data requirements. Not every server operator is able or willing to record with wonitor 2.0.

@Brute made wonitor. He could answer these questions better than I could.

Mouse wrote: »

Iirc there's a trend that shows that aliens tend to win longer games. I wonder how the average game length changes as skill levels change; then whether there's a correlation between skill level, game length, and win rates.
    e.g.: Games are shorter in low skill games, which leads to more marine wins.

@Mephilles did some research:
    8d129fd839.jpg

b96ac25bf9.jpg

9eae1a7aba.jpg

a86325bcec.jpg