A cool/scary new arctic biome Leviathan

DeathawakenerDeathawakener Frankford Ontario Canada Join Date: 2018-03-01 Member: 238480Members
Hey, I have a pretty good idea for a new leviathan, I call it the Clawtopus Leviathan, it has claws in the front of its head like the reaper, but It goes all around its mouth, like the octopus's tentacles in real life, using the spikes to drag in its prey, which in the leviathan's mouth would be extremely sharp teeth, it has giant claws for hands, the sea dragons legs/tentacles. and it's 1.5 times the size of the adult Ghost leviathan. The sound it would give off, would be deeper than the sea leviathan and REALLY LOUD, and it would be found inside of the arctic biome. if you like the idea please like.

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited March 2018
    Imo this is the real Arctic leviathan
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    I think that ever since the Bonestalker Leviathan, it's become a ritual to post stupid-aff leviathan ideas on these forums. And so, https://goo.gl/images/8qGPEm

The Lazorshark Leviathan
  • LeeTwentyThreeLeeTwentyThree Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236321Members
    Maybe it is only in the deep caves? It wouldn’t be good for the arctic surface to be deadly.
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    Ooh, ooh, here's my new leviathan idea: the Another fauna which wasn't added to the game was called the Threadbumper, I believe. A relative of the Cave Crawler as well as one of the other un-added fan-made creatures called the Forumprowler. What the Threadbumper would do is weave its bioluminescent webs all around an area so as to attract Forumprowlers. Expecting a point of interest, a Forumprowler would approach- only to be sucked up by the Threadbumper's un-necessary and counterproductive posts.

Fun fact: The concept/fan art for the Threadbumper and Forumprowler were developed alongside a fan-made submarine called the 'Idauntgiva-Ship'
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    We only considered something a thread bump if the thread has been inactive for like 3 months
  • McBooMcBoo Join Date: 2017-05-15 Member: 230513Members
    I would like the Arctic Leviathan,or at east one of them, to be a giant semi-aquatic spider covered in thick white hairs and clusters of large ice-like crystal shards. Maybe even make them shards of kyanite to add a level of risk to collecting the rare mineral.
  • mono_no_awaremono_no_aware Join Date: 2018-04-28 Member: 240395Members
  • justi18562justi18562 Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228386Members
    A collosal creature with its mouth open frozen in time waiting for the sun to burn hotter or the planet get colonized and warmed up.
  • Q_bertQ_bert inactivelavart Join Date: 2018-05-08 Member: 240607Members
    McBoo wrote: »
    I would like the Arctic Leviathan,or at east one of them, to be a giant semi-aquatic spider covered in thick white hairs and clusters of large ice-like crystal shards. Maybe even make them shards of kyanite to add a level of risk to collecting the rare mineral.

The databank entry for Kyanite states that it only forms in high-heat, high pressure conditions. Unless there’s another lava zone in the expansion, there’s no way it could form outside of such a place. But, I agree that there should be more crustaceans and seabed-dwelling organisms in the game.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Q_bert wrote: »
    McBoo wrote: »

The databank entry for Kyanite states that it only forms in high-heat, high pressure conditions. Unless there’s another lava zone in the expansion, there’s no way it could form outside of such a place. But, I agree that there should be more crustaceans and seabed-dwelling organisms in the game.

Those are the requirements for the formation of the crystal. It can be moved around after that.
    Yes, but how would it get embedded in its skin/shell? And there shouldn’t be another lava zone in the arctic, because we already have one in the base game. The DLC should be all-new biomes and creatures.

I’m not trying to be disagreeable, I’m just throwing facts out there.
    edited June 2018
    Yes, but how would it get embedded in its skin/shell? And there shouldn’t be another lava zone in the arctic, because we already have one in the base game. The DLC should be all-new biomes and creatures.

Reading back the @McBoo post, it looks like he's suggesting Kyanite as just one possibility for a leviathan's spines. The main idea he's offering is a game dynamic where you'd get to have the challenge of harvesting a vital resource from the back of an aggro leviathan.

Back here on Earth many marine animals have mineralized exoskeletons. Calcium carbonate is very a common one. Calcium and carbon are taken up by these animals from the water and their food. Then their biochemistry combines them as a mineral. Conceivably Kyanite, or something similar, could be dissolved in the oceans of 4546B. A leviathan may have evolved to extract the mineral (whatever kind) and build it into their shell.

If you fear such a leviathan may discolour your wetsuit trousers, just bear in mind that these spikes must have evolved as a defence against something much larger!
    Oh wow, I completely forgot about that. My mistake. The shards could also be there from a smaller or same-size creature that attacked or was attacked by our leviathan, much like a porcupine detaches spines that are embedded in a predator, although the shards would have to be embedded on and around its mouth. A moderately-sized pufferfish-esque creature would actually be quite interesting to have swimming around.
    edited June 2018
    Hey @Q_bert,

I was just reading about a particular sea-slug that eats jellyfish. No so impressive in itself, I admit, but this one somehow consumes the stinging cells without triggering them and then somehow migrates them out to live and grow inside its own tentacles where it can use them as a weapon. How they do it nobody is quite certain. https://ocean.si.edu/ocean-life/invertebrates/how-sea-slugs-steal-defenses-their-prey

I was thinking this fits quite well with your idea - just with giant crystals instead.

There's nothing wrong in disagreeing, no harm there.

Following this comment:
    I pointed out that these crystals might be available even if there isn't an active volcanic zone nearby.
    Take diamonds as a real life example: they are crystals formed under extreme heat and pressure, however there's plenty available on (or near) the surface.

Regarding lava zones, here on Earth there are over one hundred discovered volcanoes in the Antarctic, including some very active ones. There's probably much more, buried under the ice.
    I agree that the next game (or expansion if you will) should only encompass new biomes, however I fail to see how the presence of lava already define a biome as derivative from the base game. Following this logic I can advocate that the base game was filled with water, all biomes were drowning in it. Maybe the expansion should take place in a desert, or in the sky, to avoid repeating the same biomes.

• reaperdeath01reaperdeath01 United States Join Date: 2018-06-28 Member: 241774Members
    I want to see a relative of the Reaper leviathan, smaller and chunky to fit the climate in the Arctic, with a distinctive terrifying shriek to match what would be equal parts terrifying and adorable at the same time.
  • PhantomRider187PhantomRider187 Join Date: 2017-08-28 Member: 232692Members
    I think it would be awesome to see an alien version of earth's jellyfish in the DLC. It doesn't have to look anything like a jellyfish but it could have similar behaviors of it.

Jellyfish on earth can survive in cold oceanic environments because they have stinging cells on their tentacles that keep them warm in the cold ocean and protect themselves from predators. I think that would be perfect for the Arctic DLC. I actually remember a very old concept art of a giant creature with long tentacles surrounded by small translucent jellyfish with a submarine in front of it that was never implemented into the game. It was just a concept art that was to keep inspiring everyone to the many possibilities for Subnautica. That was one small thing that inspired me to think of this idea.
  • BlueMoonLily101BlueMoonLily101 Join Date: 2018-07-14 Member: 242184Members
    I'm loving these ideas
    Jellyfish on earth can survive in cold oceanic environments because they have stinging cells on their tentacles that keep them warm in the cold ocean and protect themselves from predators. I think that would be perfect for the Arctic DLC.
    I don't think it keeps them warm. Would also love to see jellies in the game though.

• millievdbmillievdb Join Date: 2018-07-17 Member: 242266Members
    some giant jellies ( or normal size ) would indeed be epic, hey wouldn't attack you but you can actually get poisoned by them if you come to close
  • millievdbmillievdb Join Date: 2018-07-17 Member: 242266Members
    But I would also like to see a new vehicle, like a smaller submarine. It can't store any other vehicles and its faster than the cyclops. I think that would be awesome too!
    millievdb wrote: »
    But I would also like to see a new vehicle, like a smaller submarine. It can't store any other vehicles and its faster than the cyclops. I think that would be awesome too!

You mean the Seamoth?
    millievdb wrote: »
    some giant jellies ( or normal size ) would indeed be epic, hey wouldn't attack you but you can actually get poisoned by them if you come to close

Leviathan jelly sounds good
  • justi18562justi18562 Join Date: 2017-02-28 Member: 228386Members
    A collosal creature frozen in time waiting for us to colonize