Subnautica "Flaytona" Racing

13»

Comments

• MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    arramus wrote: »
    You really got your rhythm, timing, and technique nicely balanced for both tracks. Hey, Lava Zone Rumble is ready! I didn't notice and shall grab a copy.
    I don't think I did. Regarding PoopScoop, that was like my 3rd-4th try as I kept getting lost on my way back. I play with filmic in a dark screen, and the PRAWN isn't the easiest of the vehicles to navigate in the dark so I kept missing the cave entrance and had to circle around or climb the mountain. Roughly 2/3 of my time was trying to get back from the last poop to the track start.
    Even on the uploaded video it is clear that I get lost near the end.

I think that's because going is easier to navigate than returning. You jump to the 1st beacon, then to the 2nd and from there to the 3rd when you hit a cave wall. You border the wall to the exit and jump to the 3rd, then 4th, 5th and 6th. On the way back I try to repeat the pattern, but it is hard to move fast and search for the cave entrance simultaneously. Even by entering the cave on the way back you might get lost, since you have to take the left path and there's no clear cave wall in front of you like before.

I know I can greatly improve this time with a little more practice and brighter image, but maybe it would be nicer to have a "lane" delineating the preferred path, maybe a few light sticks every ~50-100 meters. The gardens were a nice touch, but they are few and far between.

Maalteromm wrote: »
    I forgot to add, the Reaper Valley shared folder for download is not properly named, nor is the save thumbnail identified in any form. So it just looks like a regular save.
    The Lava Zone Rumble also follows this pattern. That's my contribution, complaining about things that other people made.
  • arramusarramus Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236366Members
    I know I can greatly improve this time with a little more practice and brighter image, but maybe it would be nicer to have a "lane" delineating the preferred path, maybe a few light sticks every ~50-100 meters. The gardens were a nice touch, but they are few and far between.

Thank you for testing! The lights sticks at regular intervals should be a great workaround. I can place them on either side so the Sea Treaders don't cause them too much trouble and easily show the route. It wasn't my intention to make the track difficult to see as there's enough going on with other things to achieve. I'll upload a modified track soon.
    edited March 2018
    a "lane" delineating the preferred path, maybe a few light sticks every ~50-100 meters.

Here's a new version with light sticks that are much closer together (10-15 meters) in order to create a clear track like look. The Sea Treaders don't break them and appear to be able to step over them quite comfortably. It may be too many but it's a whole lot easier to follow the designated route now and will stop anyone going through potential shortcut holes that I only just noticed.

Download
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    arramus wrote: »
    Here's a new version with light sticks that are much closer together (10-15 meters) in order to create a clear track like look. The Sea Treaders don't break them and appear to be able to step over them quite comfortably. It may be too many but it's a whole lot easier to follow the designated route now and will stop anyone going through potential shortcut holes that I only just noticed.
    I'll give it a try soon.
    Although I don't like the idea of enforcing the route. Your original concept of leaving the circuit for the player, requiring only that the platforms were reached, was far more enticing.
    I suggested a way to help navigate, not constrict the player choices in the course. The track was far more entertaining than I expected, even if seamoth races are still my fav (I admit I had a bias against PRAWN tracks).

I'll give it a try soon.
    Although I don't like the idea of enforcing the route. Your original concept of leaving the circuit for the player, requiring only that the platforms were reached, was far more enticing.
    I suggested a way to help navigate, not constrict the player choices in the course. The track was far more entertaining than I expected, even if seamoth races are still my fav (I admit I had a bias against PRAWN tracks).

I see. My initial idea was for players to follow the Sea Trader's path to ensure there was some form of predetermined route and that was the reason for the planters. Adding additional light sticks to give better guidance may reinforce that there is a predetermined route.

The alternative would be to remove all guidance and simply request that it's enough to reach each stage point by whatever means. The beacon markers provide sufficient guidance for that and it would be up to each racer to determine the best course. It wouldn't be difficult to release a version with no directional markers and a version with the markers. My concern is that going somewhere in-between will send mixed messages.