"Aluminum" or "Aluminium"?

Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
Ok, this thread is probably going to end up in a heated debate even though it's only on an extremely small thing in the game, but I'd nevertheless would like to know what everyone here thinks. I know, this could be a poll thread, but I don't really want to give the impression that this is a serious topic and the davs should do something because it's not really one.

First off, I have to clear the fact that this technically has something to do with the game. In the entry for ruby in the data banks the word is spelt spelt "Aluminum", and on seeing that the thought clicked in my head. You see, there is a constant opposition between the american and british spellings of certain words, and aluminium/aluminum is one of them. The whole purpose of this thread is to see if everyone agrees with the way that it's spelt in the data bank entry for ruby. In reality, it seems to be much more than a simple opposition between american and british spellings, and is a bit more complicated than that. According to the research of November#4074 on the discord server:
British chemist Humphry Davy, who performed a number of experiments aimed to synthesize the metal, is credited as the person who named “aluminium. In 1808, he suggested the metal be named alumium. This suggestion was criticized by contemporary chemists from France, Germany, and Sweden, who insisted the metal should be named for the oxide, alumina, from which it would be isolated. In 1812, Davy chose aluminum, thus producing the modern name.”

This kinda shows that this debate has been going on for quite a while. Imo, I believe that "Aluminium" is the correct spelling but I'm too lazy to do some further research (as you can clearly see by me exploiting being helped by someone else's :p ) so if you know any further information to evolve the debate that's gonna happen, please share it. Also do post your own opinions, but please try to keep it civil because this sort of stuff tends to degrade itself into bad arguments :)

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2018
    I always thought this was just a language thing between Americans, the USA kind, and the rest of the world. TBH, I think I've only ever heard Americans say aluminum 39.gif
  • Peeper4546BPeeper4546B Join Date: 2017-12-28 Member: 234640Members
    I don't really care how it's spelled. Kinda like "favorite" and "favourite", it means the same thing in the end. What's a one letter difference? Frankly, I think it's really petty and immature that there are so many arguments and pointless debates over words that different people in different regions spell differently. There are more important things going on in the world that require attention than whether it's spelled "aluminum" or "aluminium".
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    I like to say aluminum because it fits well into that song by Tom Lehrer. But I usually like to mix it up a bit.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I always thought this was just a language thing between Americans, the USA kind, and the rest of the world. TBH, I think I've only ever heard Americans say aluminum 39.gif

This has less importance compared to the US using the Imperial system and the rest of the developed world using the Metric System. The difference between Aluminum and Aluminium is not going to cost NASA hundreds of millions of dollars. Due to the loss of the Mars Climate Orbiter from some idiot using the Imperial system and everyone else using the Metric System, every engineering company associated with NASA has to use the Metric System.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    starkaos wrote: »

This has less importance compared to the US using the Imperial system and the rest of the developed world using the Metric System. The difference between Aluminum and Aluminium is not going to cost NASA hundreds of millions of dollars. Due to the loss of the Mars Climate Orbiter from some idiot using the Imperial system and everyone else using the Metric System, every engineering company associated with NASA has to use the Metric System.

Its too late for America to change to the metric so we have to do the best we can unfortunately.
  • HCP2311HCP2311 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235914Members
    I don't really care how it's spelled. Kinda like "favorite" and "favourite", it means the same thing in the end. What's a one letter difference? Frankly, I think it's really petty and immature that there are so many arguments and pointless debates over words that different people in different regions spell differently. There are more important things going on in the world that require attention than whether it's spelled "aluminum" or "aluminium".

Bruh, the Hostility. lol Debates are healthy as they promote effective communication. Interestingly enough, effective communication is the root off all the world problems you are alluding to.

My two cents: The profundity of U.S Americans and things that are distinctly "American" are directly related to the Slogan, "If I'm standing on it, it's America."
    On vacation in Rome? 1 square foot (m²) of Rome is now America.
    Pronouncing Al? It's Aluminum.
    Pronouncing Metre? It's Meter.

Hope this helps. lol
    All in jest of course.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Wasn't it originally that Alum and Minium were considered separate things? I was reading a 17th century paper on Swedish ore deposits in the Annals of the Royal Society which strongly gave me that impression.
  • Peeper4546BPeeper4546B Join Date: 2017-12-28 Member: 234640Members
    edited March 2018
    HCP2311 wrote: »

Bruh, the Hostility. lol Debates are healthy as they promote effective communication. Interestingly enough, effective communication is the root off all the world problems you are alluding to.

My two cents: The profundity of U.S Americans and things that are distinctly "American" are directly related to the Slogan, "If I'm standing on it, it's America."

Hope this helps. lol
    All in jest of course.

@HCP2311 I wasn't being hostile. I admit though at the time when I posted that comment, I was agitated and upset about something going on in my life. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was being hostile. I do agree that debates are healthy and I enjoy partaking in certain debates myself. I think what I meant to say was that it's ridiculous how defensive some people can get over something they believe in to the point where countless arguments can occur. Especially over something as petty as how different people spell a word. I apologize if what I said came off as rude. I'm not a nasty person at all. Thanks though for your two cents ^_^
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    Aluminium sounds cooler but also no one says it that way so I usually just say Aluminum.
    @Peeper4546B
    No worries, I was just kidding anyway.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The real questions here are obviously, potato or potato and tomato or tomato :trollface:
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Easy answer:
    potato and tomato > potato > tomato.
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members

Wasn't it their own system? From what I've heard, they made their own system which is the exact same as the imperial system expect everything is slightly smaller. That's why 1 US gal is only roughly 0,8 (0,832674) imp. gal
  • OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    The real questions here are obviously, potato or potato and tomato or tomato :trollface:

No, the real question is whether the tail of the paper roll should face the wall or not
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    I just say aluminum, mainly because of platinum. They're both elements, and nobody argues over the spelling of platinum.
    Platinium pla-tin-ee-um... I like it.
    Platinium pla-tin-ee-um... I like it.

STOP! Are you trying to kill us all!
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    I am American myself I don't really care about the spelling. Also somehow I understand metric than the imperial system.
    kingkuma wrote: »
    I just say aluminum, mainly because of platinum. They're both elements, and nobody argues over the spelling of platinum.

Might have to deal with how it sounds to whoever discovered it or got to name it. Platinum sounds better than Platinium. Sodium sounds better than Sodum.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    This is the internet, we can spell things however we whant.
    Sodinium So-din-ee-um. I love this thread.
    narfblat wrote: »
    This is the internet, we can spell things however we whant.
    y0u'r3 4 r3b3l!
  • BDelacroixBDelacroix Florida Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215511Members
    ShuttleBug wrote: »

Its too late for America to change to the metric so we have to do the best we can unfortunately.

I recall being told in school we were all going to the metric system so we were taught the metric system. It never happened. However, we do know the metric system here in the United States, we just never had it made an official thing. I don't know the reasons, but whenever a reason is being sought, always ask "qui bono" or more colloquially, follow the money. Someone was probably going to lose money if we changed.
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    Since we're moving

Hope this helps. lol
    All in jest of course.

The American pronunciation of 'metre' is the same; it's just the spelling which is different. A few more of the U.S. of A's 'f-you's to everyone else:
    -Running laps? Why not do so counter-clockwise
    -Going to wash up? Why not take a nap instead in the rest-room
    -Going to the shop for shopping? Why not go to America for 'store'-ing
    edited March 2018
    In before Color vs Colour etc...
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Metre...metre... Wait in America we spell it metre? What, but I been taught it is spelled meter....the America Education System makes no sense
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Metre...metre... Wait in America we spell it metre? What, but I been taught it is spelled meter....the America Education System makes no sense

I spell it meter.
    BDelacroix wrote: »
    ShuttleBug wrote: »

I recall being told in school we were all going to the metric system so we were taught the metric system. It never happened. However, we do know the metric system here in the United States, we just never had it made an official thing. I don't know the reasons, but whenever a reason is being sought, always ask "qui bono" or more colloquially, follow the money. Someone was probably going to lose money if we changed.

I heard it was due to the steel and construction industry since the steel industry would have to replace all their dies to fit the metric standard and the construction industry would have to replace all their tools. A 1/2" wrench is different from a 12 mm wrench.

Meter is the American way and metre is how everyone else spells it.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited March 2018
    I remember learning somewhere, at some point, that aluminum is the base metal (or ore. or whatever) and aluminium is the refined metal that we use for, say, aluminium foil. Then the Americans came along and ruined the definition like they did with so many other words.

I don't know if that's true, but hey, the fact they call aeroplanes "airplanes" just because of some Frenchman's pronunciation and an American journalist's misunderstanding of aerodynamics and buoys "boo-ees" because, well I don't know, (It's a buoy, it's buoyant, not boo-ee-ant, ffs) it makes a lot of sense that the Yanks would mess up one more pronunciation.

And whilst I'm at it, the phrase is "I COULDN'T care less" not "I COULD care less"... if you could care less, then why don't you? You mean you don't care at all, so if you could care less, then you obviously care somewhat... so shut up.
    The Americans didn't do nothing, you know I'm saying :trollface: