Subnautica "Flaytona" Racing

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2018
    xm234 wrote: »
    By the way, what about some PRAWN racing? Double grapple arm + Lost River/Blood Kelp Trench has soms potential IMO

giphy.gif

@arramus I love how our thumbnails seem to be almost at the same spot on the track :D I'm just slightly ahead. Gah we need ghosts, timers, waypoints, boosts, multiplayer

• arramusarramus Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236366Members
    edited February 2018
    @Kouji_San
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Added rules for the track creation so we don't have conflicting file names. I'll update my track accordingly :)

Lovely, thank you. I shall update the version I currently hold as I would like to improve my time and get the jumps right.

Flaytona - Balls to Walls
    This track pits you against the steep vertical inclines and declines of the area bordering the creep vines and sand dunes. It begins in the dark but dawn soon arrives on Planet 4546B. All the best!

msyp4wlie430.jpg

DOWNLOAD - by @arramus
    1. Bonus rules
      • Order 2 cups of coffee from the coffee machine (3 second bonus)
      • Crash into acid mushrooms in the planter when finishing the race (1 second bonus per destroyed acid mushroom - please show video evidence of the planter after exiting the Seamoth)
    2. Track rules
      • Pick up your friend from its home at the appropriate check point (Disqualification if not achieved)
      • Fix your vehicle damage at the appropriate check point (Disqualification if not achieved)
    3. Track Times

(I think everything is OK. There are a couple of 'rough' looking areas here and there so constructive criticism is helpful if it needs a future edit and is within the realms of the available toolset.)

• ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    arramus wrote: »
    @Kouji_San
    Added rules for the track creation so we don't have conflicting file names. I'll update my track accordingly :)

Lovely, thank you. I shall update the version I currently hold as I would like to improve my time and get the jumps right.

Flaytona - Ball to Walls
    This track pits you against the steep vertical inclines and declines of the area bordering the creep vines and sand dunes. It begins in the dark but dawn soon arrives on Planet 4546B. All the best!

msyp4wlie430.jpg

DOWNLOAD - by @arramus
    1. Bonus rules
      • Order 2 cups of coffee from the coffee machine (3 second bonus)
      • Crash into acid mushrooms in the planter when finishing the race (1 second bonus per destroyed acid mushroom - please show video evidence of the planter after exiting the Seamoth)
    2. Track rules
      • Pick up your friend from its home at the appropriate check point (Disqualification if not achieved)
      • Fix your vehicle damage at the appropriate check point (Disqualification if not achieved)
    3. Track Times

(I think everything is OK. There are a couple of 'rough' looking areas here and there so constructive criticism is helpful if it needs a future edit and is within the realms of the available toolset.)

Please tell me, how does one individual achieve such marvelous framerates when playing Subnautica? The world must know!
    @ShuttleBug are you getting a really choppy frame experience? I recall playing the first release of Halo for PC using the on board intel graphics and getting the most wonderful hues of colour as the graphics broke down. I’ve got an old midrange Radeon that is keeping up for the most part but it won’t be long for an upgrade.
    @Kouji_San I forgot to mention but I manually edited the gameinfo.json file in notepad because it adds some personal information elicited from the PC. I changed name to “arramus” and machine name to “FLAYTONA”. It really isn’t a big thing depending on how much we’ve shared and what kind of privacy we prefer. Just a heads up for other uploaders.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    edited February 2018
    @ShuttleBug are you getting a really choppy frame experience? I recall playing the first release of Halo for PC using the on board intel graphics and getting the most wonderful hues of colour as the graphics broke down. I’ve got an old midrange Radeon that is keeping up for the most part but it won’t be long for an upgrade.

Yeah, I've grown accustom to choppiness ever since EA. The game does tell me my GPU is not powerful enough, so that’s probably why.
    ShuttleBug wrote: »
    Yeah, I've grown accustom to choppiness ever since EA. The game does tell me my GPU is not powerful enough, so that’s probably why.

I wish you good hunting for your next GPU when the time arrives. Even on my midrange antique it still looks glorious.

• RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    edited February 2018
    z3bg4l42eyd0.png

Reaper valley DOWNLOAD by @Recursion
    Pit yourself against reapers, as you race down a zigzagging slope where the leviathans lurk, waiting for you to come.
    Bonus rules: None
    Track rules:
    1: If your seamoth gets blown up, you lose.
    2: If you get caught by a reaper and thrown away from the track, head to the last point where you were on the track.
    3: if a reaper throws you ahead on the track, go back to where you were when the reaper cauht you.
    Track times:
    None

After this I shall start work on a new track, named: "Lava zone Rumble"
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2018
    Alright awesome, updated the first post with all these cool new toys :D
    edited February 2018
    I made one more minor change to The Shallows (added a missing power transmitter and changed the mode to freedom)
    gtqsp1btgesf.jpg
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Om7ZZ2jPFXwbcK-dLvk_JWkGDmYWEHAd/view?usp=sharing

Previous times on the old track are now indicated with (creative mode, pre-track repair))

And added some additional information on changing the game mode:
    Additional side note regarding the tutorial video. If you want to change the game mode, you have to do this in the gameinfo.json file. Using the ingame commands is only temporary. To do this, simply open up the .json file with notepad and look for "gameMode":x, change it according to the mode you want to use for your track:
    • 0 = Survival
    • 1 = Freedom
    • 2 = Hardcore
    • 3 = Creative
    @Kouji_San

Flaytona - Reaper Valley

This was my second run through as the first got a bit messy and I decided to fully utilise the gifts left in the Seamoth. I'll try to master how to use the vortex torpedo but a face full of toxic clouds really does the trick. ;)

A fabulous concept and I shall enjoy playing this map again. Oh, wouldn't it be nice to add an automap load cycling script on top of everything else that's been suggested with timer, stage points, etc.

Thank you @Recursion
    I wasn't too sure on the track rules and considered the top of the solar panel as the start line and began timing from there.

For the ending I will give 2 times. One for just reaching the end circle and one for completing the circle and hitting the final power point.

2:53:93 or 3:04:22 (3:03:22 +1) | @arramus [ VIDEO
    edited February 2018
    You lot are bloody creative, here I am with a mere race track with some fancy chase scenes and jumps. And you guys come along with all kinds of side missions during the race :D

Good stuff!
    You lot are bloody creative, here I am with a mere race track with some fancy chase scenes and jumps. And you guys come along with all kinds of side missions during the race :D

The thing I like most about The Shallows is the atmosphere. The abundance of plant life and limited visual range adds to that sense of being closed in a twisting tunnel even when it's outside. I think the collective variety once other tracks have been submitted will be just awesome.

More, more, more tracks pleeeeeeease!
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    I'm linking my time for the The Shallows track.
    The race time was ~2:49 and I think another 9-10s in penalties. I think I got both jumps.
    @arramus , thanks for doing the track. I'm going to make a PRAWN parkour track, and i should upload it today or tomorrow.
    edited February 2018
    3aloqnx1oerg.png

Lava zone rumble:

Swing, grapple, and fall in this brand-new PRAWN parkour adventure. It's hot!(a little bit of me died with that pun) By @Recursion , DOWNLOAD
    Track rules:
    1)To finish the track, pilot your prawn into the hoop of pipes
    2) The track uses pipes
    3)Use the pre-prepared prawn which you spawn next to.
    Bonus rules:
    Use only the grappling arms, and don't use the jets for 10 seconds off at the end.

Next I'm going to make "The sea suit triathalon"
    edited February 2018
    xm234 wrote: »
    By the way, what about some PRAWN racing? Double grapple arm + Lost River/Blood Kelp Trench has soms potential IMO

Flaytona - Poop Scoop Loop

Just for starters, I’ve completed an easier track just to test the concept of using the Prawn. Basically the features are:

Your base at the top of Sea Treader’s Path is getting low on biofuel. You need to visit 6 Check Points as you ‘race’ down towards the far end of Sea Treader’s Path and collect 6 poops from pre-assigned locations.

Each location has a square landing platform to park the Prawn before existing, collecting the poop from a planter by hand, and placing it in the Prawn storage.

Once all 6 pieces of poop are collected you race back to the base and place them all in an assigned locker by the bioplant.

Highlights
    - There are two time capsules to collect; one by the main Prawn Base and another by the secondary Scientific Observation Base. This was pure luck that they spawned where they did and are there to take or leave.

- There is a semi tamed reaper named ‘Dolly’ who appreciates snacks from the Scientific Observation Base. She will periodically attack the Prawn when left alone and may attack the base. All fun side missions.

It’s all ready and just needs a final video run through for quality and a time.

edited February 2018
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    I'm linking my time for the The Shallows track.
    The race time was ~2:49 and I think another 9-10s in penalties. I think I got both jumps.

Just checked the milliseconds. you've managed it in 2:49:07 (frame timer check), I only counted 7 bumps and ya got both bonuses :D

2:51:07 is a bloody impressive time, imagine if you did a nobump run!

Oki 9 bumps it is, making your time 2:53:07

You're being too generous, I got 9-10 bumps and I intend to improve that time.

I don't think getting to the milliseconds is necessary at the moment. Also, if this turns popular, it will be impossible to judge/evaluate each time individually. Some mod will be required, at least to keep track of racing times.
    edited February 2018
    You're being too generous, I got 9-10 bumps and I intend to improve that time.

I don't think getting to the milliseconds is necessary at the moment. Also, if this turns popular, it will be impossible to judge/evaluate each time individually. Some mod will be required, at least to keep track of racing times.

Hehe true, it's already quite a chore having to keep that mess of a BBCODE up to date, mostly adding the tracks with info though. Especially because @arramus has somehow infiltrated my first post in this thread by constantly popping up, wanting to be linked :trollface: Getting the milliseconds right now isn't too much work. Just dragnNdrop the video, throw a timer on it from start to finish frame and I've got the time.

Oki, I'll change it up to 9sec penalty then, it does mean you'll get bumped to second place (pun intended :tongue: ), but hey my run was a non-bumpy ride, so even with a worse time I got first (FOR NOW :D ) By the way, I thought two of 'em were fishbumps that's why I removed them. And you have to keep in mind that the final finish bump doesn't count, that is kinda a free for all bump :D
  • FlametuskFlametusk Sparse Reef Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235582Members
    Well, I know what I'm doing this weekend! It's going to have bits where you need to switch vehicles, it's gonna be basically a circuit, except very peripatetic. Also, on Creative, Reapers will still grab your seamoth, even with you inside.
    "Kouji_San wrote:
    Hehe true, it's already quite a chore having to keep that mess of a BBCODE up to date, mostly adding the tracks with info though. Especially because @arramus has somehow infiltrated my first post in this thread by constantly popping up, wanting to be linked :trollface: Getting the milliseconds right now isn't too much work. Just dragnNdrop the video, throw a timer on it from start to finish frame and I've got the time.

Yes, I can see it becoming more like a full time job as more tracks start to be added to the list, and with each track the checking volume will become a real burden. Maybe the track makers can keep records in their own initial track post if they're willing and if it's accurate it can be simply copied to the initial post to save the individual burden which will take all the fun out of it? I'm not totally familiar with BBCode and am just trying to copy a similar format from quotes.
    edited February 2018
    @xm234 Here's a sample on a very flat surface with a couple of areas which require elevation.

Flaytona - Poop Scoop Loop

6c64id304erd.jpg

I won't add it as a submission yet because it may go too far off the initial concept and rules and make a whole heap more forum work.

Download | Video
    My time was 6:32 from start line to placing the poop in the locker.

The rules were simply:
    1. Select your own preferred tool set for the Prawn from the locker.
    2. After entering the Prawn, start from the START POINT. Timer begins when you move forward or use a tool.
    3. Head to each check point and land on a platform. Exit the Prawn and collect a poop. Place the poop in the Prawn storage.
    4. After collecting all 6 poops, return to base.
    5. Remove poops from storage before parking the Prawn.
    6. Park Prawn and race to poop storage locker. Stop the timer when they are all safely stored.

Unfortunately, following a line or holo disks with Sea Treader's around doesn't work as they like to break things.

The only track rules penalty I can consider is if someone forgets to place a poop in the Prawn storage. I think a 6 second penalty per poop is reasonable as placing it and returning to the Prawn takes less.

There are no penalties for leaving the Sea Treader's Path because it is a penalty in itself because getting back on is time consuming.

It's quite a time consuming trip but not overly far or demanding unless you do what I did and overshoot a landing area or run out of boost.

I suppose it's a case of seeing how it goes and seeing if it will fit in with the initial concept.
    edited February 2018
    "Kouji_San wrote:

Yes, I can see it becoming more like a full time job as more tracks start to be added to the list, and with each track the checking volume will become a real burden. Maybe the track makers can keep records in their own initial track post if they're willing and if it's accurate it can be simply copied to the initial post to save the individual burden which will take all the fun out of it? I'm not totally familiar with BBCode and am just trying to copy a similar format from quotes.

Hehe, that's not exactly how it works. It is tied to my forum account login and I'm technically the only one able to edit that post (along with mods and admins). However, the way you're formatting your posts makes it a bit easier for me to add the times :)

Anyway, what you're suggestion would require a custom website somehow tied to a mod, which is capable of sending data from our race tracks to be stored into a database. Meaning we'd also require a time tracking mod :D

@arramus I did add "Poop Scoop Loop" for now to the race track list

Also to anyone, just for shits and giggles quote the first post in a draft comment or something. Just to see how bloody insane the BBCode is :D
    edited March 2018
    Ok, time to update some track times.
    If the judges decide to adjust any of this results (such as "bumps" count) I'll update the respective video when (and if) I have the time.

The Shallows
    2:45:05 (2:47:05 -5 +3) | @Maalteromm [VIDEO ] | 2018-03-01

Balls to the Walls
    3:06:05 (3:06:05 -4 +3) | @Maalteromm [VIDEO ] | 2018-03-01

Reaper Valley
    1:20:00 (1:20:00) | @Maalteromm [VIDEO ] | 2018-03-01
    obs: I might have skipped a second around ~1:07 (~1:25 video time) by not making a proper dive at the canyon, in my defense I couldn't see it. So I extended ~1sec at the end.
    I forgot to add, the Reaper Valley shared folder for download is not properly named, nor is the save thumbnail identified in any form. So it just looks like a regular creative save.
    I'll be trying the prawn ones next. Do I also lose a second on each bump?
    edited March 2018
    I'll be trying the prawn ones next. Do I also lose a second on each bump?

For the Poop Scoop Loop there aren't any route markers to take as they didn't really suit the track. The Sea Treader's like to destroy things in front of them. There are some planters that will help keep you on the assigned track though. If you come off track it won't help the time so no deductions for that.

The main thing is to remember to land on a platform, exit the Prawn, collect dung, place the dung in the Prawn storage and then get back into the Prawn.

I was thinking of a 6 second penalty for forgetting to place a piece of the dung in storage as it takes about 3-4 seconds to do that and it will really be only a 2 second penalty overall. But please give some feedback on that after you have a run through.

I'm looking forward to other Prawn and multi-vehicle tracks!
    Prawn tracks times below:

Poop Scoop Loop
    5:27:03 | @Maalteromm [VIDEO ] | 2018-03-03

Lava Zone Rumble
    2:12:02 | @Maalteromm [VIDEO ] | 2018-03-03
    I was thinking of a 6 second penalty for forgetting to place a piece of the dung in storage as it takes about 3-4 seconds to do that and it will really be only a 2 second penalty overall. But please give some feedback on that after you have a run through.

I think it is a fair penalty.

Prawn tracks times below:

Poop Scoop Loop
    5:27:03 | @Maalteromm [VIDEO ] | 2018-03-03

Lava Zone Rumble
    2:12:02 | @Maalteromm [VIDEO ] | 2018-03-03

You really got your rhythm, timing, and technique nicely balanced for both tracks. Hey, Lava Zone Rumble is ready! I didn't notice and shall grab a copy.