Victory conditions

MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited February 2018 in NS2 General Discussion
This is prompted by a point raised in this thread: Improving gunplay and late-game
The game is won when your economy outperforms the other sufficiently, but the victory depends on total destruction of the enemy team which can take far too long.

What other victory conditions could NS2 have?

One idea I've had is to track tres flow, and then use the time spent with a better res flow to determine the winner. e.g. your team wins after they've either maintained a 2:1 lead in res flow for 5 minutes. This would be similar to how in Age of Empires 2 you can win by building a Wonder and then defending it for 500 years.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really wish spawn killing wasn't a win condition.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Mouse wrote: »
    This would be similar to how in Age of Empires 2 you can win by building a Wonder and then defending it for 500 years.

Alien wonder:
    Organic Statue of Gorge The Builder

Marine wonder:
    TSA Galactic Triumph

Each would cost 100 Tres, and would require 5x times the build time of CC/Hive.
  • skav2skav2 Join Date: 2007-05-28 Member: 61037Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Nordic wrote: »

Going by the lore of the game the aliens must be wiped out 100% because they are an parasite race and cannot co exist with humanity. In a respawn type of game where you must destroy an enemy base, I dont think there is any other way to complete the objective other than to spawn kill them.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The only two valid win conditions a game like this could have are: Kill all enemies and their respawn structures. Or: Kill all of the enemy CCs / Hives.
    Right. I tried to say that the spawn killing is a result of completing the objective which is destroying the enemy base. Butchered it >.<
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    skav2 wrote: »
    Nordic wrote: »

Going by the lore of the game the aliens must be wiped out 100% because they are an parasite race and cannot co exist with humanity. In a respawn type of game where you must destroy an enemy base, I dont think there is any other way to complete the objective other than to spawn kill them.

Easy: Add a secondary win condition for marines. Give them some expensive (>100 res structure) that features a time expensive upgrade (>3 min) which, if completed, casts EXTERMINATUS on the map and ends the game.

Similarly, aliens at biomass 12 could go into overdrive mode, buffing cyst health to 2000, increasing their infestation spread and maturity rate tenfold, and making infestation damage deal the same damage as bilebomb. That way, the unholy biomass can just grow over marine base and end the game.

These ideas are flawed and not balanced. But you get the spirit of it. Personally I'm in favor of the first approach: Provide some tangible thing that lets the enemy team know shit's going down and that gives them an objective to take down/focus on. Ideally make it so a timer appears on their screen telling them how much time they have left, or make it create a beacon like noise or something - just communicate that they need to get their shit together now or the game ends.
    Although I guess thematically, something like the second approach fits better.

I'll give it some more thought and write a better response when I'm not just rambling along
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    So I've been chatting with @Steelcap and we've come up with a possible idea:
    • The main victory conditions are the same as vanilla (destroy all command structures or eliminate all respawns and players)
    • An alternate victory condition can be reached if your team accumulates 300 victory points.
      • Victory points are gained every 10 seconds. +1 point for each completed command structure (CC/hive)
      • Victory points can be stolen by destroying an enemy command structure. We're thinking something like 20 points can be stolen for destroying a CC or hive. (Popping a blueprint probably shouldn't count... we might scale this number down if has only recently been built)
    • If both teams stay on 1 command structure until both teams have 300 points, the game is a tie. (this would take 50 minutes or some very precise stealing of points)

I don't think this additional win condition is meant to be the "game-ender", but instead more of a last resort. It can be something you work towards, and the stealing of points mechanic gives a losing team a comeback mechanic that flows nicely into existing strategies.

The number of points needed for victory could easily be made map-specific. Veil might need this to be 400 points, for example.
    edited February 2018
    Maybe marines just need something they can drop in the alien base like contamination but maybe proxy bombs.

Time limit on matches? I dont necessarily like that since some of my favorite matches lasted 3 hours +. But maybe after 40 or 60 minutes whoever has the most structure points + CC's taken wins.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2018
    skav2 wrote: »
    Maybe marines just need something they can drop in the alien base like contamination but maybe proxy bombs.

Time limit on matches? I dont necessarily like that since some of my favorite matches lasted 3 hours +. But maybe after 40 or 60 minutes whoever has the most structure points + CC's taken wins.

If you want to try a time limit, consider trying siege.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2018
    Honestly, I don't mind the "wonder" idea. The only thing I'd say is, it should be built some distance away from your base, it should be expensive and timeconsuming and easily counterable.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2018
    Nintendows wrote: »
    (this would take 50 minutes or some very precise stealing of points)
    [/list]
    This is the only thing I really dislike about this. The average game of NS2 is 15 minutes, and if I remember correctly that that was the goal. The average NS2 game is 17 minutes long, and the median game time is 15 minutes. 75% of games are between 8 and 28 minutes long.

I know a lot of people like long games, but not everyone likes long games, or has the time to play long games. I used to like long games myself.

It would fracture the community a bit, but I don't think that is always a bad thing, but I hope NS3 has different game modes by design. Classic NS like gamemode, a combat like gamemode, siege like gamemode and more included in the base game.