Subnautica "Flaytona" Racing

Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT DeputyThe Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
This thread is our very own official Subnautica "Flaytona" Racing thread, where I'll try to keep track of the tracks made and the times set by people, verified through videos and a post in this thread o/

<h1>The general Flaytona Racing Rules</h1>
  • The race starts the moment you rev up your engine
  • Every bump with the world costs you 1 second
  • You finish when you bump into the Finish Beacon, this bump doesn't count towards penalties
  • You have to "tickle" the line as close as possible
  • On "freedom" maps, if your Seamoth explodes, you lose :D
  • Track specific rules are allowed (Beacons can be used to give a brief ingame explanation)
  • Praise our overlord @Flayra, in the spirit of Flaytona Racing
<h1>Installing a race track, naming convention and creating a track</h1>
  • The .json file in the save folder contains some "personal" information, namely your computer name and windows account name
    arramus wrote: »
    @Kouji_San I forgot to mention but I manually edited the gameinfo.json file in notepad because it adds some personal information elicited from the PC. I changed name to “arramus” and machine name to “FLAYTONA”. It really isn’t a big thing depending on how much we’ve shared and what kind of privacy we prefer. Just a heads up for other uploaders.
  • The zip file has to be "installed" or rather copied/extracted into your Subnautica save slot folder. For Steam this map is located in:
    "..Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames"
  • To make sure your race track doesn't conflict with other tracks or the game's original save slots. The folder name has to use the following naming convention:

"Flaytona - track name here"
  • Because the save system in Subnautica doesn't display names, you can modify the "screenshot.jpg" thumbnail in the save folder of your track. Simply add a text overlay somewhere on that image with the following text. Keep in mind, every time you save your track in game, you have to redo this. The same goes for the edits to the gameinfo.json file.

<h1>Flaytona
    Track Name Here
    </h1>

<h2>How To Build A Flaytona Track</h2>mqdefault.jpg
    Additional side notes regarding the tutorial video. If you want to change the game mode, you have to do this in the gameinfo.json file. Using the ingame commands is only temporary. To do this, simply open up the .json file with notepad and look for "gameMode":x, change the value to the mode you want to use for your track:
    • 0 = Survival
    • 1 = Freedom
    • 2 = Hardcore
    • 3 = Creative
<h1>Getting on the track record list</h1>
You have to upload and post a video here, preferably with some kind of timer in the video. The race timer starts the moment you rev up your engine, to the moment you bump into the "START / FINISH" beacon. Subtract/add any bonus and penalties to your time and post the result alongside your video. Click here on how to post on this forum using a thumbnail/link for your YouTube video, or just give us a link

<h1>Race Tracks (7)  |   Let the carnage begin!</h1>
  1. Balls to the Walls
    msyp4wlie430.jpg
    DOWNLOAD - by @arramus
    This track pits you against the steep vertical inclines and declines of the area bordering the creep vines and sand dunes. It begins in the dark but dawn soon arrives on Planet 4546B.
    1. Bonus Rules
      • Order 2 cups of coffee from the coffee machine (3 second bonus)
      • Crash into acid mushrooms in the planter when finishing the race (1 second bonus per destroyed acid mushroom - please show video evidence of the planter after exiting the Seamoth)
    2. Track Rules
      • Pick up your friend from its home at the appropriate check point (Disqualification if not achieved)
      • Fix your vehicle damage at the appropriate check point (Disqualification if not achieved)
    3. Track Times (2)
      1.    3:06:05 (3:06:05 -4 +3) | @Maalteromm [VIDEO ] post | 2018-03-01
      2.    4:10:75 (4:08:75 -4 +6) | @arramus [ VIDEO ] post   |   2018-02-27

2. The Crag Fields
    Work in Progress - by @Skope
    1. Bonus Rules
      • placeholder
      • placeholder
    2. Track Times (0)
      1.    placeholder

3. Lava Zone Rumble
    8xrcmsha1vee.jpg
    DOWNLOAD - @Recursion
    Swing, grapple, and fall in this brand-new PRAWN parkour adventure. It's hot! (a little bit of me died with that pun)
    1. Bonus Rules
      • Use only the grappling arms, and don't use the jets for 10 seconds off at the end.
    2. Track Rules
      • To finish the track, pilot your prawn into the hoop of pipes
      • The track uses pipes
      • Use the pre-prepared prawn which you spawn next to.
    3. Track Times (1)
      1.    2:12:02 | @Maalteromm [VIDEO ] post] | 2018-03-03

4. Poop Scoop Loop
    6c64id304erd.jpg
    DOWNLOAD - @arramus
    1. Track Rules
      • Select your own preferred tool set for the Prawn from the locker
      • After entering the Prawn, start from the START POINT. Timer begins when you move forward or use a tool
      • Head to each check point and land on a platform. Exit the Prawn and collect a poop. Place the poop in the Prawn storage
      • After collecting all 6 poops, return to base
      • Remove poops from storage before parking the Prawn
      • Park Prawn and race to poop storage locker. Stop the timer when they are all safely stored
    2. Track Times (2)
      1.    5:27:03 | @Maalteromm [VIDEO ] post | 2018-03-03
      2.    6:32   |   @arramus [ VIDEO ] post | 2018-02-28

5. Reaper Valley
    juktq2a8fbvj.jpg
    DOWNLOAD - by @Recursion
    Pit yourself against reapers, as you race down a zigzagging slope where the leviathans lurk, waiting for you to come.
    1. Track Rules
      • If your seamoth gets blown up, you lose.
      • If you get caught by a reaper and thrown away from the track, head to the last point where you were on the track.
      • If a reaper throws you ahead on the track, go back to where you were when the reaper cauht you.
    2. Track Times (2)
      1.    1:20:00 (1:20:00) | @Maalteromm [VIDEO ] post | 2018-03-01
      2.    2:53:93 or 3:04:22 (3:03:22 +1) | @arramus [ VIDEO ] post   |   2018-02-27

6. The Sea Suit Triathalon
    Work in Progress - by @Recursion
    1. Bonus Rules
      • placeholder
      • placeholder
    2. Track Times (0)
      1.    placeholder

7. The Shallows
    gtqsp1btgesf.jpg
    DOWNLOAD
    - by @Kouji_San
    The Shallows was the proof of concept for Subnautica Flaytona. Speed through narrow canyons in the Safe Shallows and the Kelp Forrest, while some blowy-uppy-fishies want to join you in the race.
    1. Bonus Rules
      • Jump 1 (3 second bonus): 2 seconds for a full breach and 1 second for a successful left turn underwater without bumps
      • Jump 2 (2 second bonus): 2 seconds for a full breach and landing on the underwater race line
    2. Track Times (5)
      1.    2:45:05 (2:47:05 -5 +3) | @Maalteromm [VIDEO ] post   |   2018-03-01
      2.    2:52:51 (2:57:51 -5)   |   @Kouji_San [ VIDEO ]   |   2018-02-27 (creative mode, pre-track repair)
      3.    2:53:07 (2:49:07 -5 +9)   |   @Maalteromm [ VIDEOpost  |   2018-02-28
      4.    2:59:51 (2:57:51 -3 +5)   |   @Kouji_San [ VIDEOpost  |   2018-02-24 (creative mode, pre-track repair)
      5.    3:14:99 (3:07:99 -2 +9)   |   @arramus [ VIDEOpost  |   2018-02-25 (creative mode, pre-track repair)

Track Name
Work in Progress / DOWNLOAD - by insert @ name here
  1. Bonus Rules
    • placeholder
    • placeholder
  2. Track Times (0)
    1. placeholder

Comments

• EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Actually a good idea. Well done.
  • RecursionRecursion The cosmos Join Date: 2017-07-01 Member: 231505Members
    Can I upload my own tracks?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2018

Would be neat if we somehow would have a dedicated track builder, specially to be able to edit any point and designate the next one, while not having the line screw up :D

But for now, this will work...
    Recursion wrote: »

Of course, you just have to save and rename your save slot folder and upload it somewhere. And perhaps let us know in this thread :smiley: I'll try and keep the first post updated.

Don't forget to give it a cool name :tongue:
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Aw I wish I could take part in this, it looks cool! Unfortunately I'm on xbox lol
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2018
    Aw I wish I could take part in this, it looks cool! Unfortunately I'm on xbox lol

So savegames aren't interchangeable between Xbone and PC? That was kinda my main idea so it could be platform independent, probably a different file structure :(
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Would be neat if we somehow would have a dedicated track builder, specially to be able to edit any point and designate the next one, while not having the line screw up :D

But for now, this will work...

Of course, you just have to save and rename your save slot folder and upload it somewhere. And perhaps let us know in this thread :smiley: I'll try and keep the first post updated.

Don't forget to give it a cool name :tongue:

Yes! I shall upload reaper valley sometime on monday.
    @Recursion Now that is a name for a track :D I also renamed this racing endeavor to Subnautica "Flaytona" Racing, in honor of the old and long lost tradition :trollface:
    I did make reaper valley sometime in the past, but I'll need to recreate it, as I think i deleted that save when 1.0 came out.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @Kouji_San You realize, once a veteran Descent player who can efficiently tri-chord get their hands on that, it's all over, right? xD
    edited February 2018
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    @Kouji_San You realize, once a veteran Descent player who can efficiently tri-chord get their hands on that, it's all over, right? xD

Haha, all the better IMHO! I've seen speedruns for example for SMB, where they talk about pixel triggers and frame timing to be able to pull off the tricks. Heck I'd be proud if someone would even consider to spend the time to find tricks to kill our track times that way :D But for now, let's just have fun!

TBH, the best first "mod" would be an onscreen countdown and a timer which triggers as soon as you the countdown is done, adds a 1 second time penalty on world bumps and stops once you hit the "START / FINISH" beacon. The optional special bonus points could be judged by us? That way people who want to make their time public don't have to fiddle around with video frame/time editing and simply record and upload :worried:
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited February 2018
    I'm working on a racetrack of my own. (And by that, I mean that I'm trying to get OBS to stop being a jerk)

I call it "The Crag Fields"

Creative name, I know, but the biome name was just too perfect to pass up on.

And I will say, that if @Kouji_San's track was on "Easy," The Crag Fields is on "Very hard."
    Oki, also adding your track in placeholder style :D
  • arramusarramus Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236366Members
    For giggles, and to get this going. It was a very bumpy ride and I think I counted them all but there may very well be more. I'm glad I don't drive in real life and just stick to my bicycle. I don't think I got any bonuses. Do I get a one second bonus reduction for the pit stop mechanic?

I used my stopwatch for the time and don't have a clue about adding a digital timer to the video...
    3:17:99 (3:07:99 -0 +10)   |   @arramus [ VIDEO ]   |   2018-02-25

edited February 2018
    Nice @arramus! By the way, I think you did land the first 3 second bonus, but you did bump into the left turn. I changed the bonus rules a bit so they are more flexible and interesting:
    • For jump one you can get 2 seconds for a full breach and 1 extra second if you make the left turn underwater without bumps. You managed to get the 2 bonus seconds there :)
    • The second jump has to land on the line and has to be a full breach. Like me, you didn't land on the line and it wasn't quite long enough out of the water.

And I changed the requirements to getting on the list. We can count the seconds in the video and if you time it with a stopwatch, we can get those decimals as well. If push comes to shove with "photo finish" times, I could always download the video and frame check the them :D Also I counted 9 bumps, at around 0:43 you got bumped by a crash fish, which sounded like a world bump.This is what I got for ya, I'm also going to include a link to posts in this thread

3:14:99 (3:07:99 -2 +9)   |   @arramus [ VIDEOpost  |   2018-02-25

By the way, neat addition of cute fish. I've got my Garry, you've got your cute fish. Well TBH Garry is the track inspector for everyone, soooooo :tongue:

• ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Now this is pod racing!
    edited February 2018
    Added rules for the track creation so we don't have conflicting file names. I'll update my track accordingly :)

<h1>Installing a race track, naming convention and creating a track</h1>
    • The zip file has to be "installed" or rather copied/extracted into your Subnautica save slot folder. For Steam this map is located in:
      "..Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames"
    • To make sure your race track doesn't conflict with other tracks or the game's original save slots. The folder name has to use the following naming convention:

"Flaytona - track name here"
    • Because the save system in Subnautica doesn't display names, you can modify the "screenshot.jpg" thumbnail in the save folder of your track. Simply add a text overlay somewhere on the image with the following text:

<h1>Flaytona
      Track Name Here
      </h2>

Here's the new version of The Shallows:
    gtqsp1btgesf.jpg
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Om7ZZ2jPFXwbcK-dLvk_JWkGDmYWEHAd/view?usp=sharing
    (link updated added a missing power transmitter and change the mode to freedom)

It's the same exact same track, I just changed the folder name and the thumbnail so you can easily find it in your save slots. So if you've downloaded the old version, there's no real need to download as you can still use that one. Unless you want the super awesome thumbnail in your save slots :D
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited February 2018
    Running from some aliens
    On planet 4546B
    We are running from some aliens
    This entire planet is just a sea
    We are running from some aliens
    There's thing here you would not believe.

DA DA DU DU DU DU
    DA DA DU DU DU DU
    4dc.gif
    edited February 2018
    Haha indeed, what we have here is "Initial S" :tongue:

Also tutorial time so people can see how easy and fun it is to create tracks, although you have to work around the oddities and "bugs"

Well... It seems we've got everything in place now, just waiting for more tracks and having to get the word so we can get more racers in here :D
    I bet it'd be relatively trivial to mod in an in-game timer for start / stop and maybe even watching waypoints.. or I could be very wrong... @nesrak1 ?
  • arramusarramus Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236366Members
    edited February 2018
    I’m trying to make one now bordering Dunes with more emphasis on controlling your ups and downs with a few drifts.

I’ll call it “Flaytona - Balls to the Walls” for want of a better name.

It has a little pit stop beacon directing the driver to exit and collect a welder which is inside a coral tube. If I can set the Seamoth health to 80 then it will require a quick repair before continuing.

It’s quite an open area in places and a few planted areas will help give it a circuity appeal.

It has a few tricky places but is generally on par with ‘The Shallows’.

Laying down the pathway can be a really testing experience as it likes to fork quite merrily.
    @0x6A7232 would be cool if that was indeed the case, would be cool if it was easy and someone would make it as well :D

@arramus sound intriguing, I'll add it as a WiP to the list. Let me know if you do want to change the name some day :tongue:
    Reaper valley racetrack:
    Use the provided seamoth which you spawn right next to in a cave. 20 meters away from the cave is the start of the racetrack.

Extra rules: If your seamoth explodes, you lose.
    How can i upload the save folder?
    edited February 2018
    Reaper valley racetrack:
    Use the provided seamoth which you spawn right next to in a cave. 20 meters away from the cave is the start of the racetrack.

Of course! Also have a look at the "Installing a race track, naming convention and creating a track" section for some more info one how to set up your folder/file name so it wont conflict with other save slots. And perhaps add a thumbnail to easily identify it in the ingame saves list

I used google drive and shared it using the public share option. It free to create a google drive, you just need a youtube/gmail acount

By the way, did you set the map to "freedom" mode, so the Seamoth can actually get damaged and the fish do attack you? They are docile on creative mode (apart from crashfish)
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited February 2018
    I'll make one If i manage to tear myself away from XCOM2.

• kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited February 2018
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Reaper valley racetrack:

Of course! Also have a look at the "Installing a race track, naming convention and creating a track" section for some more info one how to set up your folder/file name so it wont conflict with other save slots. And perhaps add a thumbnail to easily identify it in the ingame saves list

I used google drive and shared it using the public share option. It free to create a google drive, you just need a youtube/gmail acount

By the way, did you set the map to "freedom" mode, so the Seamoth can actually get damaged and the fish do attack you? They are docile on creative mode (apart from crashfish)

Use Google Drive, or Dropbox, or OneDrive, etc etc. Use file compression (7-zip, WinRAR, WinZip, Windows Explorer right-click > Send To > Compressed Folder) for smaller uploads.
    edited February 2018
    Well I did another run and somehow tied my previous time down to the friggin' millisecond :cold_sweat: BUT I did not bump into anything and got both bonus jumps.

The Shallows, 2:52:51 (2:57:51 -5)   |   @Kouji_San [ VIDEO ]   |   2018-02-27

So, no one else wants to throw this Seamoth around the The Shallows? :(
    edited February 2018
    I'm working on a koosh zone one. it's going to be hard, ever tried to pilot a seamoth through a koosh zone cave?
    kingkuma wrote: »
    I'm working on a koosh zone one. it's going to be hard, ever tried to pilot a seamoth through a koosh zone cave?

Nope, I've not yet been there yes as per my Let's Play :D However it sounds daunting!
  • xm234xm234 Poland Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229207Members
    By the way, what about some PRAWN racing? Double grapple arm + Lost River/Blood Kelp Trench has soms potential IMO