3D printed Cuddlefish

FoppemoaFoppemoa Join Date: 2018-02-13 Member: 237551Members
Hi all

Just wanted to share my 3D printed cuddlefish I exported and modified.

tr02kbxfprss.jpg

Exported the cuddlefish game model and modified it to take ball-joint arms.
It's up on Thingiverse for anyone who wants to try.
Until I get a cease and desist from unknownworlds I guess... I have no idea if they get angry or not for exporting game models?

Comments

• ranmafanranmafan Join Date: 2018-02-04 Member: 236837Members
  • HCP2311HCP2311 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235914Members
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    I just... I wanna cuddle it.... PLEASE!
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    That's awesome. Maybe a PRAWN could be cool... but that'd be really hard. But with movable appendages too... Get some good Subnautica merch... with exchangeable arm attatchments...
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd never noticed that it has nipples.
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    Those are tiny appendages which the cuddlefish eventually evolved out of. Likely tentacles or little claws like on the sandshark.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Awesome model! What make/model of printer are you using and what feedstock?
  • FoppemoaFoppemoa Join Date: 2018-02-13 Member: 237551Members
    Awesome model! What make/model of printer are you using and what feedstock?

I'm using the Prusa MK2S, and I printed it with 3DE Silky Gold PLA.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    edited February 2018
    @Tarkannen you have to admit that face is adorable.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Those are tiny appendages which the cuddlefish eventually evolved out of. Likely tentacles or little claws like on the sandshark.

Oh, I just noticed that they're all over its torso, not just on the front. My bad.
  • arramusarramus Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236366Members
    edited February 2018

I agree, and I expect they would have evolved to continue to serve a functional purpose. An abundance of nerve endings would offer sensitivity for judging proximity of surroundings which is particularly useful in confined and dark spaces spaces much like whiskers on a rodent.

And as for the 3D printed cuddlefish, it's just absolutely wonderful.
  • dexter397dexter397 U.S.A. Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218486Members
    Hugh wrote: »
    BRING IT TO ME

I MUST CUDDLE IT

That is the funniest thing I have ever read on this website so far lol.
  • m0nk3nm0nk3n subnautica Join Date: 2018-02-11 Member: 237402Members
    you gonna paint that?
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    What is it with @Tarkannen and cuddlefish?
    kingkuma wrote: »

@Tarkannen ‘s hate is eternal.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    ShuttleBug wrote: »

Hmm... nope! I can't nor won't admit or acknowledge that. That face belies its evil intentions, of the fiend-fish that wants to devour your soul! :flushed:

But I can meet you halfway and admit "that face"... Yup, that is a face indeed. :wink:

The work put into the 3D-printed model was exquisite; I can tell a lot of work was put into the project to make it look as well as it does. I'm certainly not knocking the quality of the finished project - in fact, I was debating on whether to Disagree on the OP post at all. I despise the Cutefish and everything it stands for... but yet, the actual printed model shows both quality and care. While I don't like what the actual statue represents, I can admire and give my love towards the craftsmanship put into it. Kudos to the hard work, @Foppemoa! :blush:

As for the "why" I hate the Cutefish, it's been a long-standing debate as to why I dislike something "so cute" and "so loving"... even back when @ChrisFo posted preliminary pics way back when in the "Funny Subnautica Pictures and Memes" thread... To this day, I'm still the single Disagree on that post. :confused: I can't explain why I hate the Cutefish, I just do... to me, it amounts to the appeal of pug dogs or monkeys wearing suits (yup, I extremely dislike those also). C'est la vie, I suppose...

But now, if we want to talk about actual cute fish, then that vote would have to the Crashfish... That little guy squirming out of his nest, making those adorable trilling sounds... who can't love that little guy?? :blush:

latest?cb=20160717001657

:love::love::love::love::love:

@Tarkannen‘s hate is eternal.

Only where matters of the Cuddlefish is concerned... I'm not completely heartless, though... :cry:
    Tarkannen wrote: »

Hmm... nope! I can't nor won't admit or acknowledge that. That face belies its evil intentions, of the fiend-fish that wants to devour your soul! :flushed:

But I can meet you halfway and admit "that face"... Yup, that is a face indeed. :wink:

The work put into the 3D-printed model was exquisite; I can tell a lot of work was put into the project to make it look as well as it does. I'm certainly not knocking the quality of the finished project - in fact, I was debating on whether to Disagree on the OP post at all. I despise the Cutefish and everything it stands for... but yet, the actual printed model shows both quality and care. While I don't like what the actual statue represents, I can admire and give my love towards the craftsmanship put into it. Kudos to the hard work, @Foppemoa! :blush:

As for the "why" I hate the Cutefish, it's been a long-standing debate as to why I dislike something "so cute" and "so loving"... even back when @ChrisFo posted preliminary pics way back when in the "Funny Subnautica Pictures and Memes" thread... To this day, I'm still the single Disagree on that post. :confused: I can't explain why I hate the Cutefish, I just do... to me, it amounts to the appeal of pug dogs or monkeys wearing suits (yup, I extremely dislike those also). C'est la vie, I suppose...

But now, if we want to talk about actual cute fish, then that vote would have to the Crashfish... That little guy squirming out of his nest, making those adorable trilling sounds... who can't love that little guy?? :blush:

latest?cb=20160717001657

:love::love::love::love::love:

@Tarkannen‘s hate is eternal.

Only where matters of the Cuddlefish is concerned... I'm not completely heartless, though... :cry:

fic74nbsn9q3.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    What is the point of a Cuddlefish that you can't cuddle?
    Tarkannen wrote: »

What are you implying...
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    arramus wrote: »

I agree, and I expect they would have evolved to continue to serve a functional purpose. An abundance of nerve endings would offer sensitivity for judging proximity of surroundings which is particularly useful in confined and dark spaces spaces much like whiskers on a rodent.

Or, possibly, electroreceptive sensory organs like the lateral line system found in terrestrial bony fish. :)
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    Mouse wrote: »
    I'd never noticed that it has nipples.

You look at this picture and see it's nipples. Nevermind its UNLIMITED CUTENESS, it has nipples. How do you focus on all that is wrong with the world?
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I see the same bumps on its back.
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    We need @WasabiOne to make cuddlefishplushie.com gogogo
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    While I personally have no issues with the cuddlefish, I have heard @Tarkannen 's comments before from others. So you are not alone in that opinion by far.
    edited February 2018
    @Tarkannenen

Cute Crashfish you say?
    Warning: contains moe
    uoc1lexvi131.jpg
    @Tarkannenen

Cute Crashfish you say?
    Warning: contains moe
    48gpen3lzlo5.jpg

Those are some pointy sholders.
  • im_methodim_method New Hampshire Join Date: 2018-02-23 Member: 238154Members
    Great work! that looks amazing.
  • Catsfan45Catsfan45 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235894Members