Glow Whale? Yay or Nay?

VoxelVoxel Join Date: 2017-07-10 Member: 231713Members

What do yall think of this bad boy in the arctic zone?

EDIT:

The developer took down the video. You can still see it here:

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    These are kinda just lamer reefbacks.
  • VoxelVoxel Join Date: 2017-07-10 Member: 231713Members
    These are kinda just lamer reefbacks.

Well maybe they will have some sort of unique behavior. I bet the reefbacks were pretty lame at first, too.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2018
    Hmm dunno... They are a bit too "Earth-like" for my taste. Don't get me wrong though, a blue whale lookalike would be cool, but it should set itself a part from our blue whales in ways other then just being a glowing whale.

By having it be a somewhat different shape, but still "whale like" perhaps? The Reefback kinda has that going for it, it basically looks like an alien whale tentacle beast :D
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Unless they want to say this is where the whales from Star Trek were taken after Kirk brought some from the past, I dunno if it fits 4546B.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Video is unavailable for me :/
  • TheWaffleLeviathanTheWaffleLeviathan Somewhere in the oceans of planet 4546B Join Date: 2016-04-15 Member: 215785Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Hmm dunno... They are a bit too "Earth-like" for my taste. Don't get me wrong though, a blue whale lookalike would be cool, but it should set itself a part from our blue whales in ways other then just being a glowing whale.

By having it be a somewhat different shape, but still "whale like" perhaps? The Reefback kinda has that going for it, it basically looks like an alien whale tentacle beast :D

I'm pretty sure that the "earth whale" model is a place holder. I believe that it will look like the glow whale concept art
    640?cb=20150412223359

This concept art
  • HCP2311HCP2311 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235914Members
    I think the video is unavailable. I'd never turn down another creature for this game though, the more the merrier I say.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2018
    Kouji_San wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that the "earth whale" model is a place holder. I believe that it will look like the glow whale concept art
    640?cb=20150412223359

This concept art

Alright, well I didn't know about that concept art. That I could live with, looks really creepy at awesome at the same time, "alien whale" :D
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    The devs have confirmed that the glow whale is a test for that concept art.
  • HCP2311HCP2311 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235914Members
    Uh... There are two players in that concept art...
    HCP2311 wrote: »
    Uh... There are two players in that concept art...

39.gif
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    No. No. We don't want Whales, we want whale Analogues. Same goes for penguins. No penguins. Maybe something that takes the same ecological niche as a whale or penguin or whale, but no Whales or Penguins!!!

What'd be much more satisfactory is a reason for wanting to stay above the ice layer in certain parts of the Arctic due to terrifying enemies beneath the ice in said biomes which would tear any vehicle to shreds. These microbiomes would be really deep and bland and void of interest. But above these biomes would be wrecks or degasi land bases or something interesting which would push the player to traverse over the ice unlike the rest of the game. So they'd have a vehicle like a cross between a cigarett boat and a snowmobile which could go extremely fast and glide over water and jump over icebergs like ramps and then land on the ice without serious damage.

Aaaand then there'd be something like the creature from Europa Report which melts through the ice or just leaps out of it at the player's vehicle out of nowhere- or it's probably be somewhat visible beneath the ice. It'd generate enough heat on its exterior to make separate little pools in the ice from which it could leap and chomp on anything that comes by it.
  • matrixdllmatrixdll Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235941Members
    edited February 2018
    Yay, but ONLY in case if it speaks to you about some ancient guardian of all life forms right before going into eternal slumber among the icy waters of Antarctica (I highly doubt anybody would get the reference here, but it still MUST be placed here)
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    A good first attempt, but will need to see the final product to make an opinion on it.
  • Emars118Emars118 Join Date: 2018-02-14 Member: 237592Members
    I want it to be similar but yet different to the Reefback.