The Aurora Approach: A Subnautica Prequel Fancomic | + Other Fanart

MissMarifireMissMarifire Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236889Members
THE AURORA APPROACH: A SUBNAUTICA PREQUEL FANCOMIC

WSELXGZ.jpg
"Logging out: Operator 22. Miller, Ian."
-

Hello~! My name is Mari, and I'm an artist.

For some background about me, I used to be a relatively active artist within the WARFRAME community. Here's an art thread of mine from the WF forums if you'd like to see some of my older artwork. While that game has a place in my heart, I've decided to take a break from it to explore new horizons- and I've found myself quite at home with Subnautica. I used to play the game on and off during its Early Access, but now I've been playing it very frequently now that the full game is finally released. And, well, I've been really needing to do some fanart for the game.

So, this thread serves two purposes: to act as a place for me to post my Subnautica artwork, as well as a place to develop, discuss and update my Subnautica fancomic, The Aurora Approach.

The Aurora Approach takes place during the time between the Degasi's disappearance, the Aurora's construction and its journey towards Planet 4546B- starting with Alterra's first contact with the Mongolian Empire on their predicament- or at least, from the perspective of a jaded radio operator. Needless to say, that "scam" was more than he thought it'd be.

It will take what we know of Alterra, the Mongolian Empire, etc. and expanding upon it, including attitudes towards different things and the relationships that are had between both members and entities alike, and what life was like on the Aurora.
-ADDITIONAL ARTWORK-

Comments

• ThryanThryan Italy Join Date: 2015-10-17 Member: 208543Members
    the art is really cool, but the big ass MISS MARIFIRE logo makes it a bit hard to appreciate/understand it. Like with the cuddle fish it took me a while to understand what was going on in the picture, but that may just be because im stupid.
  • TheWaffleLeviathanTheWaffleLeviathan Somewhere in the oceans of planet 4546B Join Date: 2016-04-15 Member: 215785Members
    The dead zone one is super cool! Cuddlefish is adorable too. I do agree with the user above though, the watermark is a bit distracting. Other than that, it's really good :)
  • MissMarifireMissMarifire Join Date: 2018-02-05 Member: 236889Members
    edited February 2018
    Thryan wrote: »
    the art is really cool, but the big ass MISS MARIFIRE logo makes it a bit hard to appreciate/understand it. Like with the cuddle fish it took me a while to understand what was going on in the picture, but that may just be because im stupid.
    The dead zone one is super cool! Cuddlefish is adorable too. I do agree with the user above though, the watermark is a bit distracting. Other than that, it's really good :)

I've had people complain about it quite a bit. The big watermark's due to some trouble my friends and I had in the past with art thieves, esp. ones who've stolen a friend of mine's work and sell it as merchandise- I'm very 'better safe than sorry' about that sort of thing.

I could try and look into reverting back to the old watermark, or try for a different look for it (be it simply changing it up to look more simplistic or use different settings for when I apply it to make it less jarring), but I won't remove the watermark.

Thank you for the love regardless! <3
  • arramusarramus Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236366Members
    Awesome artwork Mari and captures their traits and appeal really well but all within your own style. I hear you on the watercolor and wonder if you could reduce the opacity down to say 10-15%. I think it could give you protection but still allow us a nice unobstructed chance to enjoy your work.
  • HCP2311HCP2311 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235914Members
    Your work is awesome. Isn't it a shame when when you have to go to such lengths just to protect something? People are terrible.
    arramus wrote: »
    Awesome artwork Mari and captures their traits and appeal really well but all within your own style. I hear you on the watercolor and wonder if you could reduce the opacity down to say 10-15%. I think it could give you protection but still allow us a nice unobstructed chance to enjoy your work.

Could try that. The older watermark was a lot more streamlined too so I might just go back to using it.
    HCP2311 wrote: »
    Your work is awesome. Isn't it a shame when when you have to go to such lengths just to protect something? People are terrible.

Yeah- I hate it as much as you guys do, too, but you gotta do what you gotta do to deter art thieves- or at the very least, get credit where credit's due if I miss some of my artwork that's reposted elsewhere.

Thank you both <3
    I should've mentioned this before- but unlike the thread over there (albeit, it's mostly for sharing finished commissions...) I'll be posting some of my preliminary sketches on here, too.

KBDGtcZ.png

I've been watching a lot of Reaper vs. PRAWN suit videos and the idea of riding on the back of one like some kinda cowboy amuses me to no end.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    As a fellow artist, I can only say: keep the watermarks as they are, no matter how much people complain. Removing a watermark - or even just reducing it to a small, unobtrusive size - pretty much equals giving the image away to thieves who will make money on it. I've had my works stolen and then cropped or clumsily edited to remove my name from them to be sold on various websites offering phone backgrounds or desktop wallpapers. Only slapping my name across each and every single pic was able to stop that.

That little rant aside, I absolutely love the dead zone image. You had a really cool idea for it and recreated the atmosphere of the biome perfectly. Awesome!
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    As a fellow artist, I can only say: keep the watermarks as they are, no matter how much people complain. Removing a watermark - or even just reducing it to a small, unobtrusive size - pretty much equals giving the image away to thieves who will make money on it. I've had my works stolen and then cropped or clumsily edited to remove my name from them to be sold on various websites offering phone backgrounds or desktop wallpapers. Only slapping my name across each and every single pic was able to stop that.

That little rant aside, I absolutely love the dead zone image. You had a really cool idea for it and recreated the atmosphere of the biome perfectly. Awesome!

Yeah, I agree with you 100%- art thieves are disgusting and deserve zero respect. It does make me a little worried when the watermark I'm using is so obtrusive that it's rather hard for most people to understand what's going on with the image, though. Hopefully reverting to the old watermark resolves that.

Thank you <3 I've always thought that the biome was a really cool take on empty areas, plus the Ghost Leviathan is my favorite fish of them all.
    -

Did up another doodle last night, and a little bit of coloring earlier today. Reworked a WARFRAME OC of mine to fit with the Subnautica universe.
    tumblr_p3wrgwaSdB1wvqnsao1_1280.png

The original OC was a legendary smuggler who ended up retiring, sending the Tenno (player characters of that game) on some wacky adventures to do stuff for them. While I'm not completely certain on a specific bio (trying to think of something that isn't too over-the-top...) for the Subnautica version, one thing will always be consistent: they will always be a fun time to be around.

It's super not-canon (since Ryley's the only survivor of the Aurora crash afaik), but it's really fun to think about the stuff Zeriba would put the poor guy through. In this case, I imagine she'd send him off to go find the last bottle of hair gel that the Aurora carried for its personnel or something.
    Little update, toying around with some designs for some of the Aurora team, plus Zeriba. It's a little saddening that nobody's approached designing the people mentioned in Subnautica yet.

jpJVrqr.png

Bonus, on the request of Xenodrome98 since there was a significant lack of hair gel:

TVB8qZc.png
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    This is really cool Mari, keep it up. You gonna do some "comic" style as well for some kind of fanart+fanstory?
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    This is really cool Mari, keep it up. You gonna do some "comic" style as well for some kind of fanart+fanstory?

Thank you! And not gonna lie, I've been really thinking about it. It'd be really fun to take what UW's given us in Subnautica and flesh them out.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    I loved your drawing so much but then I saw this
    tQcxASz.png
    And now I have to hate you.
    1. For not making the joke "do you Tenno the way"
    2. Not making the abomination one of the more fitting Ostrons
    3. Making the meme in the first place.
    edited February 2018
    I loved your drawing so much but then I saw this
    tQcxASz.png
    And now I have to hate you.
    1. For not making the joke "do you Tenno the way"
    2. Not making the abomination one of the more fitting Ostrons
    3. Making the meme in the first place.

If it's any consolidation, the FashionFrame Discord server was to blame for that- it was to appease them more than anything. Otherwise I avoid that meme like the plague.

EDIT: Subnautica isn't safe from the memes, though, I'm afraid.

CDAZvQjvVhWMpc-ffrepFafoKFyVA_RuJwu1R07ZXYo.png?w=768&s=c523453db8f5df389cd1b09be84e2075
    edited February 2018
    Just a little doodle for now, nothing substantial finished. Been drafting up a little story and, upon discovering a certain Captain's Log, well, it could only mean one thing:

8jFBnhL.png

I imagine Hollister probably programmed all of his AI's to refer to him as that when nobody's around.
    Believe it or not, I started work on a little comic, as a little prelude to everything I wanna do. Gonna finish this up in about a day or two. Extra work in progresses are on my Twitter.

For now, a REALLY nasty looking work-in-progress clipping that I'm not particularly fond of in terms of how it looks. Though, It's quite the mood ™ as they say.
    tgIzIU7.png
  • arramusarramus Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236366Members
    It really wets the appetite for the before and after frames. I look forward to seeing where you take this.
    edited February 2018
    I've decided to continue the comic over to another thread, and have this thread specifically for art that isn't related to the comic. Opted for the comic to have a different name as there's another story of that name (it's really good too!! I've been reading it a bit and I've been enjoying it.), don't know what to name the comic quite yet though. Once I have a name for it, it'll have its own dedicated thread.

Other than that, busied myself with some unrelated artwork so no update for today.
    edited February 2018
    Just realized I could now edit my older posts! I instead opted to dedicate this thread to the comic as well as any other additional artwork that I may create in the future. Main post has been edited to reflect that.

In addition, the next page is coming up soon, it's currently drafted.

tt3xGIS.png

Needless to say, his superiors do not take his negligence well.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Nice comic, it would be better if your fanfic marginated the established fictional facts of the game. Filling in the gaps is what really makes a story great.
    Love the light & shadows in the comic.
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    Nice comic, it would be better if your fanfic marginated the established fictional facts of the game. Filling in the gaps is what really makes a story great.
    Love the light & shadows in the comic.

Thank you- and that's what I aim to do! Even went and got myself NS2 with a few friends of mine to get a better idea of the world it takes place in (Although we're not going to be seeing too much from the TSF from my current writing drafts... still, lore's lore and NS2's been fun so far). Though there isn't much from the first couple pages, it'll definitely be more aligned with what we know out of the canon once I'm further along with the comic- particularly when we get to see the Aurora crew, since that's what we have the most of in terms of lore.

Can't wait to draw that zero-g gym Ozzy mentioned.