A Comedy of Errors

WindstrikerWindstriker houston Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210923Members
Warning to properly convey my frustration with the bug that I experienced while playing Subnautica today. I will have to give some back round on why this bug was such a slap in the face.

To start off let me just say, I adore this game. Since purchasing it in the early days of early access, I have played it for 182 hours and fully expect to go over 200 hours. It is very rare that I get this invested in a game. When I first started playing, much of what is now in the game was not implemented but, I early on knew that this game was special. I then spent many hours playing this game while new updates got released. I explored and built many items including bases, the sea moth, the sea glide, and the cyclops. One thing I never built was the Prawn Suit. After a while I decided to stop playing all together, because when the game finally got released I wanted to experience a lot of new content. I went at least a year and a half with out playing, when the game was finally released.

After playing 1.0 for 24 hours I still had not built the prawn suit. At this point I decided to go ahead and build it. I was very excited to get it. First I built a moon pool to house it and then saved my game. For the next forty minutes I collected resources and built it. Upon building it I then had to swim around it and check it out. And now after 180 hours(according to steam) of playing Subnautica I finally.........FINALLY!!! get in my very own prawn suit. Of course that is when the bug attacked. Within 30 seconds of entering the prawn suit, I find myself endlessly falling through the game world, unable to get out. In desperation I started to look up console commands to try and get my self out of this bug. Keep in mind, I have never used console commands before because I think they are a bit cheap and want to play the game in the way it was designed.  After finding the command I need, I went to use it, but it was at the point, a story event was triggered. I assume it was triggered because I had gone so deep because of the bug(1300 m I think). I was worried that if I used a console command at this point and kept playing, other things might mess up since that event was artificially triggered. I ended up exiting out of the game with out saving loosing the last 40 minutes of play. This was so frustrating, after so long I finally got the prawn suit to just have it taken away. To put salt in the wound, I was playing right before I had to go to work, so I did not have time to build it again. This has resulted me in having to wait another 8-10 hours at the very least before I can build it again. I realize I could just use a console command and have it or even use creation mode(which I have never used), but that is not how I want to play the game. It want the prawn to be a reward. I also realize I should have been saving but come on I should not have to be constantly saving in order to protect my progress from game breaking bugs. This game is no longer in early access and I expected better.

Comments

• Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    Yeah... that bug is a bit of a pain. Usually only happens to me when walking around the map, and so I'm prepared to rocket my way up out of the void, but it's still ridiculous. Not just this bug, but that the game has still been released even after all these annoying bugs and in-continuities are present. I expected that the cyclops would have an animation for pushing kelp out of the way instead of it just warping through the entire sub. I'd expect that the PRAWN and seamoth would stop falling through the ground. I expected lava larva to stop getting stuck inside the cyclops after being removed. But they are still eminent, and I think that before any more updates modifying gameplay come out, these bugs and textures and in-continuities need to be fixed.
  • CaiobrzCaiobrz Brazil Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236501Members
    edited February 2018
    I won't create a thread just for my version of this annoying bug, but just lost a PRAWN for the most random glitch ever: I was jumping between the alien cubes near the gun, going towards the portal, and there goes the PRAWN through the roof of the second one and I get stuck INSIDE THE CUBE. I could even leave the Prawn and swim around (still stuck inside the cube).

Since no console command allows (apparently) you to move a vehicle, only yourself, I ended up quit trying and warped myself out. Now there lies my prawn icon inside the alien cube, unacessible.

Devs should REALLY get a grip on clipping issues and do two things:

1. Warp commands should work when you are inside a vehicle

2. All terrain and surfaces should be one-way only. So if you fall thru the ground you can move up, if you get stuck in a wall you can move out. BASIC ANTI-CLIP PRACTICE. This would also fix leviathans leaving the game world by clipping through the floor/mountains.