How do you fight warpers?

Comments

• EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    Haven't played the game for a while. Is there any peaceful way to deal with the warper?

No. And it is perfectly capable of teleporting behind you. Then the screen goes purple, and suddenly you are OUTSIDE your PRAWN exosuit. It also likes to teleport in aggressive friends, and has claws itself.

Fortunately, ANYTHING that hits it causes it to teleport itself away. I'm not sure if it actually takes damage before it goes poof, though. So the obvious choices are to punch it with a claw arm, or throw an acid mushroom or crashfish at it, as fast as possible. Haven't tried Seamoth AOE, but it could work? Any slow attack, or DOT triggers the teleport, so will be almost totally ineffective. And it teleports out of stasis.
  • YanderobotYanderobot 10108 Terri Lynn Ct. Join Date: 2017-08-08 Member: 232309Members

Tarkannen wrote: »
    I don't have any beef with the creatures, in fact I hope that they'll prove useful down the road. I'm hoping that eventually we can scan them and gain access to their warp abilities, either for use as fast travel or at the least for an emergency escape plan.

I like that but I was thinking it would be cooler to be able to reprogram them with a certain tool and have them eliminate hostiles for you. Or something similar :smile:
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    Anyone tried a blast to the face with a Repulsion Cannon? Works on Reapers...
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    Skope wrote: »

d23hc0dwggs1.png
    Hmm, just realize this is the first time I've posted one of these.

Go figure.

*adds another tally mark*
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    edited August 2017
    My 2 cents on the topic. While I agree that the universe and it's restrictions on lethal weapons is canon to the story, the warper is just beyond annoying. I can understand using your brain and logic to deal with them, but there is a limit to how detrimental an enemy can be to the gameplay. I've tried pretty much everything to deal with these creatures, and the solution is always just run away from them. Well, when you're trying to explore and you have several around you, good luck getting away. It's nothing but this pattern. Get pulled out of vehicle > stasis rifle it so I can run away (attacking does nothing) > manage to run away > get pulled out of vehicle.

I am all for a challenge, but there has got to be a better way to deal with these annoying creatures. It gets to the point to where it's not fun to explore anymore due to it. I've heard you can drop fish infected with the virus and they will turn their attention to it, but does carrying around a load of infected fish just to make them leave me alone really engaging gameplay?

TL;DR
    Yes you can deal with them, but I personally feel they ruin the game not having any safeguards against them.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited August 2017
    Crewman87 wrote: »
    My 2 cents on the topic. While I agree that the universe and it's restrictions on lethal weapons is canon to the story, the warper is just beyond annoying. I can understand using your brain and logic to deal with them, but there is a limit to how detrimental an enemy can be to the gameplay. I've tried pretty much everything to deal with these creatures, and the solution is always just run away from them. Well, when you're trying to explore and you have several around you, good luck getting away. It's nothing but this pattern. Get pulled out of vehicle > stasis rifle it so I can run away (attacking does nothing) > manage to run away > get pulled out of vehicle.

I am all for a challenge, but there has got to be a better way to deal with these annoying creatures. It gets to the point to where it's not fun to explore anymore due to it. I've heard you can drop fish infected with the virus and they will turn their attention to it, but does carrying around a load of infected fish just to make them leave me alone really engaging gameplay?

TL;DR
    Yes you can deal with them, but I personally feel they ruin the game not having any safeguards against them.

I'll second that emotion.

Usually, when you're building something other than a rage game, you make sure that everything that could drive your players into a blind fury has a means to render it, at worst, a mild irritant. Mirror's Edge is a perfect example of how not to do that. (Stick character with self-defense ability of a potato into an enclosed space with a small army equipped with automatic weapons...thanks for nothing, EA.) By and large, Subnautica has kept to a relatively balanced construct in that there are strategies and/or countermeasures for dealing with everything in the world that would like to add you to the menu.

Warpers seem to be falling outside that design ethos, though. They're deeply...and I mean deeply...annoying, potentially lethal, god-mode headaches. You can't effectively run because they pop up without warning right at your back. You can't mitigate the threat because they just warp away from every tool at your disposal. And you can't fight them because 1. they're apparently immortal, and 2. they warp away. They're the Subnautica equivalent of some little brat kicking the back of your seat on a five-hour flight, but every time you turn around to confront the little creep, he vanishes. And all that does is jack up your blood pressure, something which I'm sure a significant percentage of us don't really need.

So, while Warpers have a story function, they are, in terms of gameplay, kinda broken. I can prove it, too. Think back to your own experiences:

You've probably seen Reapers or Crabsquids at some point and, even though they're dangerous, thought "wow, that really adds something to the game." They do. Big, scary predators, possessed with a sort of natural grace and fluidity, and something you'd reasonably expect in an alien ocean. They're cool, like Great Whites here on Earth.

Now think back to every interaction you've had with a Warper. First time: "What the heck is that thing?" Every time thereafter: "$#*%&$&!"

I don't advocate taking them out, but some real thought and effort should be put into balancing them against available gameplay mechanics. It can be done - let stasis weapons work, allow Seamoth defense or similar tools to deter them - it just needs to go from concept to implementation. :)

TL;DR: Warpers good for story but broken and need help. Puppies are cute as long as they're not those little rodent dogs. Grape-Nuts can be turned into platinum using common household items. And if you skipped straight to here rather than reading, you kinda earned the confusion. ;)
  • SutremaineSutremaine Join Date: 2017-03-12 Member: 228860Members
    If I get suddenly teleported out of my vehicle, I equip the Seaglide ASAP and flick the camera around. If I find a Warper, I back off briefly and then drive around it and away. If I don't find a Warper, I drive up for a good few seconds. Either that gets me out of aggro range, or gets me backed off enough to figure out where 'away' is and use a med kit if necessary. Then once the Warper returns to its patrol and teleports away, I go back. No rush, there's two minutes of air in the tank.

What I'd really like to know is why their offensive teleport sometimes does no damage, and sometimes a ton of damage. Are they teleporting you into the jaws of a hostile creature?
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    @Sutremaine

I think it's because when you get teleported sometimes they instantly attack, sometimes they don't. Not 100% sure as I never care to find out haha.
  • TheAkbarsTheAkbars United Kingdom Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 237063Members
    WELL, this post sure was interesting.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    *hastily sketches thread necro art*
  • Hammy2211Hammy2211 Join Date: 2016-10-18 Member: 223218Members
    I know this has been necroed, but honestly I think that people want to kill the things due to what's basically a morbid curiosity. Like, I'm personally fine with not hunting down and murdering everything I see. With the exception of that one Crabsnake who would not shut up and was giving me a headache. That I had no qualms about killing. :p

But at the same time, part of me sees things like leviathans and thinks, "I wonder if I can kill that." It's the same kind of thing as shooting a quest NPC in the face in an FPS or something; we kind of want to see what happens.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Hammy2211 wrote: »
    I know this has been necroed, but honestly I think that people want to kill the things due to what's basically a morbid curiosity. Like, I'm personally fine with not hunting down and murdering everything I see. With the exception of that one Crabsnake who would not shut up and was giving me a headache. That I had no qualms about killing. :p

But at the same time, part of me sees things like leviathans and thinks, "I wonder if I can kill that." It's the same kind of thing as shooting a quest NPC in the face in an FPS or something; we kind of want to see what happens.

That's dead on imo.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited February 2018
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Hammy2211 wrote: »

That's dead on imo.

I'll go with half dead-on. :)

When a game builds in a character that is deeply - and I mean deeply - annoying but no way to do anything about it, players lose a sense of agency and gain the feeling of "thanks for the headache I can't do anything about." Fallout 3 fell into that trap with Little Lamplight: here you are, a fearless wanderer of the post-apocalypse who can obliterate any enemy you face, and you're stopped by a bunch of kids that are going to relentlessly trash-talk you and you can't do anything about it because Bethesda made them impossible to attack. Bungie made 343 Guilty Spark, a character who put you in mortal peril and hummed while wasting time as you fought for your life and you couldn't do anything about it. They made it up to you (kinda) by letting you shoot the little #*$&# in Halo 3, but that's riding delayed gratification for all it's worth.

Subnautica? It has Warpers. Immortal, weapon-dodging, locust-headed, squid-butted jerks who will troll you relentlessly and never give you a chance to so much as punch them back once. (I swear, every time I get warped out of my Seamoth, I turn around to see the Warper and he's making the "you mad bro?" trollface at me. I'M NOT INSANE! HE'S REALLY DOING IT!)

Sorry, lost a little control there.

But it's the same basic design mechanic, one that is misused more often than not. Because it's one thing for a game entity to have plot armor at appropriate times for the sake of story, but another to cloak an incessantly infuriating troll in a cloak of invulnerability for no discernible reason.

Now I'm not saying that the Warpers are an inexcusable development mistake that deserves vilification. It was a design choice. Not one I would have made were I calling the shots, but one that I can live with.

(Even if it does drive me nuts.) ;)
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    At least warper's plot armor makes some sense, based on what they are. I'd expect a cyborg designed by an ultra-advanced race to be much harder to fight than a smart-mouthed kid.
  • CaiobrzCaiobrz Brazil Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236501Members
    Cure the disease? Won't kill them, but they will let you alone
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    HCP2311 wrote: »
    Someone on this Forum told me to "Boop" them on the "Snoot", which I did attempt.

Let me learn you some knowledge... Do not, I repeat, do not "Boop" them on the "Snoot". Much like Jesus said (Probably every other prophet ever as well) Turn the other cheek. When they pull you out of your Seamoth or PRAWN, just say "I respect your decision to observe my infected self, but must politely retreat to the safety of my vehicle. Thank you for your service."

Once back in your vehicle, leave and never return.
    Pretty sure that was me. Sounds like me, anyway. I suppose I neglected to mention that they will tend to boop you as well, as you move close, but then, I'm used to cats drawing blood as a sign of affection, so maybe my perspective is skewed. :tongue:
    (i.e. you might soak a hit to get close, but one hit doesn't hurt all that bad, and it makes them go away and quit tormenting you for a while)
  • SickSixSickSix FL Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236202Members
    HCP2311 wrote: »
    Someone on this Forum told me to "Boop" them on the "Snoot", which I did attempt.

Let me learn you some knowledge... Do not, I repeat, do not "Boop" them on the "Snoot". Much like Jesus said (Probably every other prophet ever as well) Turn the other cheek. When they pull you out of your Seamoth or PRAWN, just say "I respect your decision to observe my infected self, but must politely retreat to the safety of my vehicle. Thank you for your service."

Once back in your vehicle, leave and never return.

Oh man luckily I am the only one left in the office becuase your post had me rolling.

They are broken. They have no counter. That is bad for game play. If they are intended to be so OP, then they need to be very rare. But when you get two in a tight space like the ILZ tunnel, it's infuriating.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    You get a bunch of glue. Glue metal to the warpers, glue a bunch of thrusters to the warper. make them fly in the sky and have the gun shoot them down all while posting a thread necro piture
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Vancouver, BC Join Date: 2018-01-30 Member: 236237Members
    edited February 2018
    Try using a vortex torpedo on a warper. It will either get caught in the vortex for a period or be thrown at lightning speed across the area away from you. Very humerus to see!!!
  • SubGamer1233SubGamer1233 Croatia Join Date: 2016-03-21 Member: 214651Members
    yeah just grab a propulsion cannon and hit the warper with the first thing you see
  • _alphaBeta__alphaBeta_ NJ, USA Join Date: 2018-02-07 Member: 237099Members
    Lulzes wrote: »
    Anyone tried a blast to the face with a Repulsion Cannon? Works on Reapers...

You guys are reading right over this. Works great on Warpers given their small size; sends them flying. Yes, they could warp back to you at some point but using the repulsion cannon usually gives me enough breathing room to get done what I need to. It also interrupts their lock on you as they'll usually start patrolling an area further away.
  • HipqoHipqo Danmark Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 236996Members
    edited February 2018
    Caiobrz wrote: »

Thats like saying "finish a game and it wont be tough any more" lol.

I found the repulsion cannon to be the best defense, they wont ever really go away, but you can shoot them out of sight and it can take minutes before they find you again.
  • VahalVahal wandering in my dear Seamoth Join Date: 2018-01-12 Member: 234986Members
    I really hates those freaks more than the Leviathans.
    *Just dealt with some bone sharks who look to like me a bit too much. I barely survived "yeah! I surv..." BZZZIOOOON! SPLATCH! Dead, warped and slashed :/

*"Oh fraaaak that's the sea dragon!* Take some fireballs in my PRAWN ass and manage to get away. "yeah! I surv..." BZZZIOOOON! Warped away and saw my dear Boxer being chewed, spitted in the lava and blow. Oh, did I mention I suffocated because too far from my Cyclops? :#

*"Holly molly a Reaper Leviathan! Be brave dear Wasp! FLYYYYYYY!..." BZZZIOOOON! Warped away and saw my dear Wasp (Seamoth) being caught and blown by the big monster. I barely managed to go to the surface, just to being chewed few seconds later by another (or the same) leviathan...

Plus all the time I was warped and bullied by those monsters you can't even wound.

So now, I use a propulsion canon to bomb them with fishes, rocks and most appreciated, lava lezards (I love to smack them repetedly against wall with my PRAWN's propulsion arm. why? Because they're VERY annoying)

I didn't try Repulsion canon but seems I will.
  • saltyspeculasaltyspecula Join Date: 2016-12-20 Member: 225227Members
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    I find it deeply regrettable how every patch brings new, interesting monsters and all some players (who are not in the majority here, I dare say, but do correct me if I'm wrong, please) can think about is "how do I kill this thing". Why are destruction and murder the very first things that come to people's minds? Why not try to study, observe, learn how to avoid/coexist instead? Is establishing themselves as the apex predator really so important for their ego?

The overwhelming majority of computer games provide entertainment based solely on killing, murdering and destroying everything around the player character. Subnautica's greatest strength is in the fact that it provides a unique perspective and forces us to take completely different approach to exploration and survival. Simply put, it makes you use your brain instead of using brute force.

Introducing lethal weapons would drag SN down into the already overflowing cesspool of games that are all near-identical clones of one another... Hardly an improvement, if you ask me.

... Because it's basic predatory animal instinct to defend yourself against assailants and clear out threats that obstruct you from your objective? You forget humans are predators as well. People take joy in taking down bigger creatures due to the power fantasy.

That being said, I agree with you there's definitely a certain entertainment and horror factor in having no real defense against a bigger predator forcing you to run away. So long as you actually can run away.
  • CaiobrzCaiobrz Brazil Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236501Members
    Hipqo wrote: »
    Caiobrz wrote: »

Thats like saying "finish a game and it wont be tough any more" lol.

Except that curing the disease is actually easy, and then you have the whole planet to explore without some alien teleporting you to random places.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Vahal wrote: »
    I really hates those freaks more than the Leviathans.

Don't hate the leviathans ;-; what ever did the Reefback do to you.. I guess the 3 hostile ones could of done something.
  • RienRien Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235276Members
    My solution would be something like:
    Upon successfully scanning a Warper, you unlock the "Warper Gun" blueprint. Non-lethal weapon that uses a huge amount of power each shot, but teleports the victim a considerable distance away and doesn't work on Leviathans.
    You'd have to make sure it's not OP, maybe make the power drain high (say 25% battery each shot) or something.