What is the scariest biome in subnautica?

Comments

• Sparklehammer3025Sparklehammer3025 Join Date: 2017-03-16 Member: 228982Members
    Since I have a fear of the open ocean, I'd say "the whole thing", but if I had to pick a specific one, I'd say the Grand Reefs. The feeling of descending forever, the perpetual darkness, the strange rock formations and the place feels like it's swarming with Warpers.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    ShuttleBug wrote: »
    kingkuma wrote: »
    I feel like the grand reef has the potential to be terrifying, but the lack of threat there kinda counters the music, atmosphere, and ambiance. Maybe like a Pygmy leviathan or something could make it more threatening :s

They added bonesharks and mesmers.

I think too many biomes have the plain "bone shark". Mesmers or a variation of the bone shark could fit.

There are a lot of sandsharks running around, but not so many bonesharks. Are you sure you have the right fish?
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    THE REAPERS STOMACH
  • OjekronOOjekronO Join Date: 2017-03-16 Member: 228983Members

But seriously, I'd say the lost river

How do you find it scary XD there arent any dangerous creatures there :P Id say dunes are pretty scary :P they have so many reapers n' stuff :O
  • OjekronOOjekronO Join Date: 2017-03-16 Member: 228983Members
    I feel like the grand reef has the potential to be terrifying, but the lack of threat there kinda counters the music, atmosphere, and ambiance. Maybe like a Pygmy leviathan or something could make it more threatening :s

I hate bone sharks cause of their shrieking but I HATE Reapers :P
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members

I think too many biomes have the plain "bone shark". Mesmers or a variation of the bone shark could fit.

There are a lot of sandsharks running around, but not so many bonesharks. Are you sure you have the right fish?

Bonesharks are located in the underwater islands, koosh zone, crag field, and mushroom forest.

Sand sharks are located in the grassy plateaus and the dunes.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I found the kelp forest to be the scariest early on. Those stalkers man. After that? Mountains/Dunes just for the reaper. I dont know of any biome that really scares me anymore though.
    Ralij wrote: »
    I found the kelp forest to be the scariest early on. Those stalkers man. After that? Mountains/Dunes just for the reaper. I dont know of any biome that really scares me anymore though.

I agree. After the first play through you kinda get used to everything. That's why the places I visit the least are the most scary for me
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members

Bonesharks are located in the underwater islands, koosh zone, crag field, and mushroom forest.

They might have come over from an adjacent biome. I have a recording of it, if anyone wants to see it.

They might have come over from an adjacent biome. I have a recording of it, if anyone wants to see it.

Would be nice for bonesharks to have a feature where they migrate to other biome in packs :)
  • PlacoPlaco Germany Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228959Members
    I seem to be the only one but found the landing zone the scariest. When I first swam around there i got suprised by reapers twice. Apart from that the aurora itself is kind of intimidating, additionally the trembling is scary and when im in the front of the aurora I felt like it might collapse any second. I hoped it wouldnt, but when I first came there I wasnt sure. Down below only darkness and reapers.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I guess the Lost River and Lava Zone are too unfinished to get into a fair comparison. When they are finished the Sea Dragon, Warpers and Ghost Leviathan could easily be the scariest enemies there. The environmental challenge could also be added and you could fear sudden lava events or mysterious LR effects. But who knows right now? And the design of those 2 biomes are most challenging for the devs to implement.

If you take these biomes out of the challenge, my list will be:
    1. Deep Grand Reef: Eerie and the Crabsquids are a danger to vehicles as well as some Warpers getting into your back.
    2. Blood Kelp: Even more eerie while darker, but with not so much dangers if the shockers behaviour won't get updated.
    3. Shroom Cave: Eerie too and the Crabsnakes are scary without protection.
    4. Kelp Forest and caves there: Creepy because you always feel you need to turn around and watch your back.

The other biomes are all beautiful and many are quite eery, but the predator situation is very predictable. So once you know how to move quickly and sure you won't fear much.

To make the biomes more scary the main predators would need to change their behaviour:
    • The Reaper would have to roam the entire open sea and with far greater speed.
    • Sandsharks should not be visible much under sand and stay more still. They should only leave sand to catch prey.
    • Bonesharks should be much faster then the player with ultraglide fins and plasteel tanks.
    • Mesmers should rather blurr vision and freeze player movement then just be biting.
    • Biter swarms should be more like Piranhas and do better swarm attacks.
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    Even more eerie while darker, but with not so much dangers if the shockers behaviour won't get updated.[/list]

I agree on that. Shockers really need a buff, they're currently a glorified stalker, and way slower. They should do serious damage to submersibles.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Dracobomba wrote: »
    Even more eerie while darker, but with not so much dangers if the shockers behaviour won't get updated.[/list]

I agree on that. Shockers really need a buff, they're currently a glorified stalker, and way slower. They should do serious damage to submersibles.

How about a slight damage buff as well as tripping overload protection (so like the Crabsquid EMP blast)?
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Dracobomba wrote: »

How about a slight damage buff as well as tripping overload protection (so like the Crabsquid EMP blast)?

Shockers are awesome. They are my favorite enemy.
  • Daftguy86Daftguy86 Join Date: 2017-04-10 Member: 229540Members
    Deoxys_0 wrote: »
    Blood kelp simply because of the Blood Crawlers:
    800?cb=20160819144839
    640?cb=20160920212538
    (Images from the wiki.)
    It's weird because almost no other creature in Subnautica freaks me out/scares me, not even Reaper Leviathans nor Crabsquids. But something about Blood Crawlers just never sits well with me. I think it has to do how large they are and how their legs are significantly longer in proportion to their bodies than Cave Crawlers, because I'm not bothered by Cave Crawlers at all. I think the long legs, size, and probably a bit of arachnophobia are the reason why this is literally the only creature in Subnautica that I'm afraid of, and it's not even very dangerous. But it definitely has to do majorly with the legs being so long, because like I said, Cave Crawlers don't bother me. However, Sea Treaders don't bother me at all so I think it's also how the legs are set up and attached to the body (the shape of them and what not).

EDIT: I also forgot to mention the sound. That plays a big part as well. They're always screaming at you with eerie screeches and other creepy noises.

That shit scared the crap out a me when I first entered that region lol

• TheRelmLordTheRelmLord The Void Join Date: 2017-01-04 Member: 226060Members
    Simple. The Void... About 6425253929540258 Feet Deep. Or 252356 Feet Deep. Or Maybe 1263 Feet Deep.
  • ABlueSandsharkABlueSandshark Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236724Members
    i always felt like the lost river was scary when it was just open space with the green atmosphere and the giant skeleton.and then they added the more brightly colored plants and i wasn't. but now that i have actually played the game instead of watching it, the grand reef or crash zone always terrifies me and my brain just wouldn't let go near either Biome .
  • Peeper4546BPeeper4546B Join Date: 2017-12-28 Member: 234640Members
    Even though it's not really a biome and there's nothing really out there (aside from the GLs), I always thought the Dead Zone was rather intimidating. Just because of how deep it is and how open it is. I don't suffer from thalassophobia, but I get uneasy when I think about how deep and open the Dead Zone is.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    1. The observatory is definitely the scariest.
    2. THREAD NECRO
  • FlametuskFlametusk Sparse Reef Join Date: 2018-01-24 Member: 235582Members
    Anywhere with reapers, ghosts, or Warpers. Especially in combination. So, really, I would say underwater outside the QEP, especially by
    Where the portal to the PCF is.

I hate being near those giants. Except for the Dead Zone. That's surprisingly not too scary. I also hate being around the Aurora and the Dunes. As for safest scary biome? Sea Treader's Path, mostly due to its proximity to the Dunes. I've never actually gone through the tunnel there, and the only landmark aboveground there is the wreck. So yeah. I love the Sparse Reef though. Where I have my avatar is, hands down, probably the best place to build your main base.
  • dasCKDdasCKD Join Date: 2017-11-14 Member: 233978Members
    Definitely dunes. Personally, I find the 'creepy' biomes like the lost river or the bloodkelp forest to be a bit silly for the lack of a better word. The creatures that lives there are also either adorable or very odd looking which I find to be far more interesting than terrifying. Not the dunes though. Sand as far as the eye can see. No light but from the surface that filters into thin and broken shards of sunlight that tries and fails to travel into the murk of the water. No fish, no plantlife, nowhere to hide. It's not like a silly funhose haunted mansion that is lit by surrounding lights and the creatures. It's just an empty and dead expanse. Just a strangling silence broken by the scream that might as well split the ocean a heartbeat away before the familiar shadow materializes with limbs and sharp teeth.
  • djDarkXdjDarkX United States Join Date: 2018-02-04 Member: 236774Members
    Dunes first with Crash Zone a close second and the mountains a not so distant third. Anything with a Reaper Leviathan is what scares me the most. Some biomes, like the lava areas, Sparse Reef, Bulb Zone and Blood Kelp may be creepy, but they don't frighten me. The ones with Reapers in them, though, do.

Many the nope.
    Indeed. For me, the absolute absolute worst are the crash zone, due to the many reapers and close proximity to the Aurora, which means Reapers, and the Dunes, due to the reasons that have been stated by others above. I mean, I have never explored the crash zone except for directly behind the Aurora's thrusters. And I mean, like, practically underneath them. Apparently there are Crash Zone Plateaus? Never seen them. The dunes, I've explored in creative. The crash zone though? Hahaha... no.
  • SickSixSickSix FL Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236202Members
    The crash zone was terrifying upon first trip. The murky water, the sounds (reaper) and the shaking. The crash zone amd the Aurora itself are really well done. But worse things await....

The Blood Kelp zone definitely had the greatest initial impression. It is simply scary as heck! I think the lost river is very ominous but not as 'scary' as the Blood Kelp. However that Gost Leviathan is terrifying.
    I think that the Dead Zone is less scary for me, since I KNOW that the things are after me, and where they are. It's when I can't tell where the Leviathans are, or whether or not they're after me, that scares me. That is what is truly terrifying.
  • HenjiHenji Brazil Join Date: 2015-03-10 Member: 201934Members
    edited February 2018
    Blood Kelp primarly due to this:

The beating heart sound sent chills down my spine ( the creature sound is just the dumb piranha things trying to chew out my seamoth's hull, annoying bastards)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2018
    Your own mind is the scariest place on this planet. Just think back at how you ended up here. You had to scramble to get to the pod, these pods have two seats. So what happened, on your way towards the escaped pod. Did you pod buddy fall down or maybe in the hallway towards the pods your buddy died in an explosion or fire or simply couldn't make it in time before the automatic launch. Which would mean, that explosion you saw on the Aurora during the launch. That is where your buddy might have stood, looking at the pod that could've saved his life...

Then after you're in the pod, you have no time to think about this and, due to some questionable safety issues about the pod, you're knocked unconscious only to wake up after an undetermined time to a fire in your pod.

Questions like, how long were you in there, why didn't anyone find you, how did the fire break out and how come you actually wake up instead of slowly suffocating on the fumes.

When you explore the safe shallows you're going to constantly be reminded of that pod and how you got here. While during your time in the pod, everyone is probably dead and you're the sole survivor. Every time you think back at how this all started, everything that went wrong, everything you might have done differently will play back in your mind. You are alone in an alien world and this pod is all that reminds you of how your life was before all this shit went down!

You are left with your own thoughts, which might be the scariest thing of all and works it's way slowly into your psyche, potentially driving you insane :worried:

I mean just look at all the Let's Players who are vicariously living their lives on this planet through Scuba Steve, they're all talking to themselves, which might be the first signs of insanity :trollface:
  • 5m4llP0X5m4llP0X Join Date: 2017-06-26 Member: 231356Members
    Blood kelp atmosphere is the worst. The devs are nice enough to only use the moderately scary hostiles in there, but the second worst (lost river) isn't so polite about the hostiles.