How much modding is really possible?

BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
I've been musing on trying my hand at modding an alternative hardcore mode - adding more realistic water-pressure mechanics, airlocks etc. I've got a pretty clear idea just what code changes I'd like to make. My coding skills are archaic so I'd have to train up.

But first, scanning the game files turns up what looks like encrypted code. So I'm wondering if this is even a possibility?

Cheers then

Comments

• Sky_The_FoxSky_The_Fox Join Date: 2017-09-15 Member: 233065Members
    use dnspy or microsoft visual studio
  • RienRien Join Date: 2018-01-20 Member: 235276Members
    edited February 2018
    There's A LOT of modding potential; they didn't obfuscate their code so using dnspy, as Sky mentioned, to open the csharp dll you can pretty much view and edit the entire source. As for texture modding, I believe there are tools available that can rip all the textures and models. Don't quote me on that though ;)
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    @Rien , @Sky_The_Fox

Ok thanks guys, I'll get started on dnspy then . I'm assuming Unity skills will be needed, so I'm currently swatting on the those tutorials. In case you're interested this is what I'm aiming at producing in the end:

Subnautica Hardcore Pressure Mod Outline:

Primarily using the depth variable to trigger changes to several other existing variables. The biggest challenge will be the creation of 4 new assets ...

0-100m
    - Wall and ceiling habitat hatches open but cause flooding
    - Multi-room doors spawn as 'wet airlocks' (new asset)

Below 200m
    - Wall, ceiling & floor hatches all jammed shut
    - Habitat modules attached to a moonpool spawn incorporating a intervening 'dry airlock' (new asset)

Below 400m
    - Scaled ambient pressure damage to non-reinforced dive-suit protected moonpool occupants divers and seamoth pilots.

Below 800m
    - Scaled ambient pressure damage to all moon-pool occupants divers and seamoth pilots

Below 1000m
    - Ambient pressure damage is fatal to all moonpool occupants and divers
    - Moonpools no longer buildable
    - Wet airlocks no longer functional
    - Habitats only accessible via habitat 'Cyclops docking-tube' (new asset)
    - Habitats only buildable using PRAWN multi-tool (new asset)

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    @Rien , @Sky_The_Fox

Ok thanks guys, I'll get started on dnspy then . I'm assuming Unity skills will be needed, so I'm currently swatting on the those tutorials. In case you're interested this is what I'm aiming at producing in the end:

Subnautica Hardcore Pressure Mod Outline:

Primarily using the depth variable to trigger changes to several other existing variables. The biggest challenge will be the creation of 4 new assets ...

0-100m
    - Wall and ceiling habitat hatches open but cause flooding
    - Multi-room doors spawn as 'wet airlocks' (new asset)

Below 200m
    - Wall, ceiling & floor hatches all jammed shut
    - Habitat modules attached to a moonpool spawn incorporating a intervening 'dry airlock' (new asset)

Below 400m
    - Scaled ambient pressure damage to non-reinforced dive-suit protected moonpool occupants divers and seamoth pilots.

Below 800m
    - Scaled ambient pressure damage to all moon-pool occupants divers and seamoth pilots

Below 1000m
    - Ambient pressure damage is fatal to all moonpool occupants and divers
    - Moonpools no longer buildable
    - Wet airlocks no longer functional
    - Habitats only accessible via habitat 'Cyclops docking-tube' (new asset)
    - Habitats only buildable using PRAWN multi-tool (new asset)

its all very ambitious and interesting stuff i must say. i'll be sure to keep an eye on your progress but im foreseeing ALOT of work to achieve all this so i sure hope you love complicated challenges :smiley:
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • arramusarramus Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236366Members
    Hello BlueBottle. I’m new to the Unity Engine as well and am looking through the official manual to learn more about how it’s all put together. There’s a Multiplayer Mod group who are looking for extra support and suggest they have lots of little bits and pieces for coding.

Either way, your plan is great and will offer a whole new mode of realism.
    Hi @arramus, myself also new to Unity, but looking through some code in another Unity game today makes me think it shares a lot a conventions with the modest bit of game coding I did back-in-the-day. Good thing I've got some time to burn just now.!

I guess you've seen them already, but Unity's 'learn' section links with some fairly decipherable game-building tutorials. As for modding, today I found several useful tutes on Youtube on dnSpy to hack a Unity fps game (i.ei Ravenfield, early access on Steam). e.g...

Hi @0x6A7232, thanks for that earlier forum invite link. My feeling is that contributions to this project would be very welcome, but I think I'm months away from making any useful input myself - either to this or the ongoing multi-player mod. Might ask you again later though.

Cheers then

• arramusarramus Join Date: 2018-01-31 Member: 236366Members
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    I guess you've seen them already, but Unity's 'learn' section links with some fairly decipherable game-building tutorials. As for modding, today I found several useful tutes on Youtube on dnSpy to hack a Unity fps game (i.ei Ravenfield, early access on Steam). e.g...

I'm still going through the very basics and it's good to see it's all very similar in scope to the Unreal Engine structure but without all of the Unreal customised code. From what I've seen and heard, Subnautica hasn't seen any files obfuscated (I learned this word last week) and I've been able to pull texture files quite comfortably, tinker with them, and repack them again. I need to learn how to pack my own eventually as add on mod assets.

I bought Ravenfield at the end of December during the hols and have played a grand total of 41 minutes. I've spent more time learning about how to mod it though and thanks for the vid as it offers a lot of instructional support.
    For me I'm used to ActionScript for making little Flash games. Thought there was a lot in common till trying the Unity 'Roll a Ball' tutorial today (I still wear the puzzled frown).

Don't think much of Ravenfield as fun, but it loads quickly so much better than SN for testing ideas I think.
  • suspensionrailwaysuspensionrailway the best country Join Date: 2017-11-01 Member: 233804Members
    Well nothing is impossible. It just gets harder the more complex of a thing you want to do. But there's always a way around any problem you face.