Where can I buy Subnautica for the PC - without having to go through Steam?

2»

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2018
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I've never seen anyone write English like this, it looks really strange...

Perhaps you should read some good books instead of online forum posts for a change, Kouji. That's what English looks like when it's used properly... for what it's worth, I actually really, really appreciated seeing someone on the internet use decent English skills for a change. The only reason it seems obnoxious or "stuck up" is because you're not on the same level as him. All too often pride in one's intellect is met with derision or ridicule, and a great talent in something is mistaken for arrogance, but we're not in primary school any more, gentlemen. Give the guy a break. He's most definitely not indicating at all that he thinks he's "better" than anyone else; it's clear he's got a talent for English, he's practiced and honed that talent, perhaps studied it, certainly read a lot, (probably, like me, gives himself the occasional hemorrhoid by reading on the toilet for too long) and good for him for using that ability.

I can also sympathise with the desire to avoid Steam. I don't share the sentiment myself, but I can understand it. Unfortunately, the plain truth is that you're out of luck, OP. Welcome to the homogenised, materialistic world we find ourselves in.

Oh GTFO you tit :tongue: English is one of the easiest and most simplistic languages in the world to learn. And sadly it's also full of inconsistent grammar, words with multiple meanings and different words with the exact same phonetics...

And if there's one thing I've noticed about you is that you really seem to get off on being adversarial for no reason what so ever, with your uncalled for passive aggressive remarks. Just stop that bullshit and there might be a slim chance, I might take you more serious :D Oh and it's not HOW you use language by injecting fancy words/grammar, it's WHAT you actually say that matters. And in between the "elegant English lines" of what he actually said hides a quite uninformed and biased opinion. Let's be honest here, because from the looks of it, he spent more time coming up with decorative language based on mostly presuppositions. Instead of actually looking at how UWE does things and the reasons why Steamworks and the Xbox Live Preview program were chosen as their development platforms...

Simply slapping some fancy words or grammar in there, doesn't magically make up for the lack of content and "truthiness" of what someone is saying. Doing something like this simply that makes me grin, quite similarly to your passive aggressive crap. Because this pretentious dolling up of language, just makes it look like someone is compensating by trying to sound more interesting, without actually having anything to say :trollface:

Regardless, his points on Steam are his opinion and I can see his point to some extent. But to support his position he has to demonize "big companies" (and capitalism?), while also conveniently disregarding all the benefits an indie dev has from using Steamworks and having the option to develop for a console and getting to sell an early access game through the Xbox Live Preview program... So, he's only homing in on one part of the "problem", a problem he actually seems to exaggerate quite a bit. And as a result, he himself is basically the cause for missing out on quite a lot of amazing games.

We have a saying in the Netherlands, which really fits our down to earth and straightforward attitude.
    - Doe normaal, dan doe je al gek genoeg! / Doe maar gewoon, dan doe je al gek genoeg!

It could translate into one of the following:
    - Get real, stop acting the fool!
    - Act normal, you silly git!
    - It's not that hard to try and act normal!

Or something like that...

• ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue

Perhaps you should read some good books instead of online forum posts for a change, Kouji. That's what English looks like when it's used properly... for what it's worth, I actually really, really appreciated seeing someone on the internet use decent English skills for a change. The only reason it seems obnoxious or "stuck up" is because you're not on the same level as him. All too often pride in one's intellect is met with derision or ridicule, and a great talent in something is mistaken for arrogance, but we're not in primary school any more, gentlemen. Give the guy a break. He's most definitely not indicating at all that he thinks he's "better" than anyone else; it's clear he's got a talent for English, he's practiced and honed that talent, perhaps studied it, certainly read a lot, (probably, like me, gives himself the occasional hemorrhoid by reading on the toilet for too long) and good for him for using that ability.

I can also sympathise with the desire to avoid Steam. I don't share the sentiment myself, but I can understand it. Unfortunately, the plain truth is that you're out of luck, OP. Welcome to the homogenised, materialistic world we find ourselves in.

Oh GTFO you tit :tongue: English is one of the easiest and most simplistic languages in the world to learn. And sadly it's also full of inconsistent grammar, words with multiple meanings and different words with the exact same phonetics...

And if there's one thing I've noticed about you is that you really seem to get off on being adversarial for no reason what so ever, with your uncalled for passive aggressive remarks. Just stop that bullshit and there might be a slim chance, I might take you more serious :D Oh and it's not HOW you use language by injecting fancy words/grammar, it's WHAT you actually say that matters. And in between the "elegant English lines" of what he actually said hides a quite uninformed and biased opinion. Let's be honest here, because from the looks of it, he spent more time coming up with decorative language based on mostly presuppositions. Instead of actually looking at how UWE does things and the reasons why Steamworks and the Xbox Live Preview program were chosen as their development platforms...

Simply slapping some fancy words or grammar in there, doesn't magically make up for the lack of content and "truthiness" of what someone is saying. Doing something like this simply that makes me grin, quite similarly to your passive aggressive crap. Because this pretentious dolling up of language, just makes it look like someone is compensating by trying to sound more interesting, without actually having anything to say :trollface:

Regardless, his points on Steam are his opinion and I can see his point to some extent. But to support his position he has to demonize "big companies" (and capitalism?), while also conveniently disregarding all the benefits an indie dev has from using Steamworks and having the option to develop for a console and getting to sell an early access game through the Xbox Live Preview program... So, he's only homing in on one part of the "problem", a problem he actually seems to exaggerate quite a bit. And as a result, he himself is basically the cause for missing out on quite a lot of amazing games.

We have a saying in the Netherlands, which really fits our down to earth and straightforward attitude.
    - Doe normaal, dan doe je al gek genoeg! / Doe maar gewoon, dan doe je al gek genoeg!

I don't think I've ever seen a more Calvinist post Kouji B)

Also, that turn of phrase means to tell people to stop rocking the boat and to get in line with the status quo.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2018
    Scatter wrote: »

Also, that turn of phrase means to tell people to stop rocking the boat and to get in line with the status quo.

Well that's one meaning and a quite outdated one at that... In general how it's used in the Netherlands in this day and age is we simply think that being pretentious or feel the need to over-exaggerating things is just annoying as shit. And in general we just don't take people serious, who try to make their points louder (more fancy), instead of more valid...

And which part is Calvinistic exactly? Not sure how you're even bringing a religious doctrine in here, especially where the Dutch are concerned, one of the most irreligious countries on this planet :D

I'm not saying everyone should fall in line, all I'm saying that you can't hide the emptiness or rather non-content of your point behind overcompensating using a pretentious way of talking/writing. It doesn't add any value to what you're trying to convey :)
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    edited February 2018
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    edited February 2018
    Jerych wrote: »
    Where can I purchase and play a legitimate copy of Subnautica without having to go through Steam?*

And if the PC version is not available without Steam, have there been any announcements, concrete plans, to release it as such in the future?

Would I still be able to download or update Subnautica with a non-Steam purchase? Would it incur additional costs? Would I essentially have to re-purchase the game to get the updates, similar to a subscription fee?

Any answers, contextual information and links are appreciated.

Thank you.

*My reasons for not patronizing Steam are personal, not technical btw.

For the moment, no other ways to buy the game outside Steam or XBox. It is possible that this changes in the future (on the launch livestream they talked about a launch on Playstation, so other ways for acquiring a legalized copy may come). The only way I can think of you being able to play the game is via downloading a cracked copy - that way you won't be held back by Steam. Sorry, OP. I don't see any other way.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Scatter wrote: »

Well that's one meaning and a quite outdated one at that... In general how it's used in the Netherlands in this day and age is we simply think that being pretentious or feel the need to over-exaggerating things is just annoying as shit. And in general we just don't take people serious, who try to make their points louder (more fancy), instead of more valid...

And which part is Calvinistic exactly? Not sure how you're even bringing a religious doctrine in here, especially where the Dutch are concerned, one of the most irreligious countries on this planet :D

I'm not saying everyone should fall in line, all I'm saying that you can't hide the emptiness or rather non-content of your point behind overcompensating using a pretentious way of talking/writing. It doesn't add any value to what you're trying to convey :)

Just because he doesn't communicate in dot points like a dutchman doesn't mean he is pretentious or doesn't have valid points.

Irreligious yes but still keep your curtains open like a good little Calvinist I bet
    edited February 2018
    Except most of his points aren't valid or substantiated at all, which does make it look pretentious, WTF are you smoking?

And seriously what is your obsession for trying to use Calvinism as way to insult a mostly irreligious people, you uninformed boob you :D You want to know the reason why we don't close our curtains during the day? Let me tell you a little story. There's a little big thing called the Sun, which is the star in our planetary system, providing quite a handy thing called light or rather daylight for us. We simply don't want to sit inside with artificial lights all over the place and also we don't really have anything to "hide behind the curtains", either. If anything, it's even good for the environment by not using power for lights during the day and good for the moneybag as well. So what exactly is your point, if anything besides silly jabs at the Dutch.

Also we've gone quite a bit off-topic, but we (us Dutch) actually love self-deprecation. So please enlighten me on this last little point, if ya please. So we can go back to bashing Valve, Microsoft and Sony instead :D Although the thread has probably served it's purpose already...

b6f.png
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited February 2018
    Oh and it's not HOW you use language by injecting fancy words/grammar, it's WHAT you actually say that matters. And in between the "elegant English lines" of what he actually said hides a quite uninformed and biased opinion. Let's be honest here, because from the looks of it, he spent more time coming up with decorative language based on mostly presuppositions. Instead of actually looking at how UWE does things and the reasons why Steamworks and the Xbox Live Preview program were chosen as their development platforms...

Agreed on that.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited February 2018

Yeah... what's your point exactly? This is extremely contradictory. You said you've "never seen English written this way"... well that's probably the strangest part of this whole conversation, because I sure have, thousands upon thousands of times, all my life. You then said "because from the looks of it, he spent more time coming up with decorative language" and implied more than once that he's simply trying to "sound smart", which is nothing but a presumptuous minimisation of him and his opinions/posts. It's insulting and belittling not only to him but to anyone who enjoys language.

(Eg; Why would some young kid, who loves to read, want to learn to extend their vocabulary if they think they'll be ridiculed and called pretentious?)

If English is so easy and simple to learn, then why do you find it so hard to believe he just has a decent, larger vocabulary than you are used to? I guarantee that's just how he types (and probably talks in reality), and he didn't put any effort into making himself sound more educated, he simply is well educated and well read.
    And if there's one thing I've noticed about you is that you really seem to get off on being adversarial for no reason what so ever, with your uncalled for passive aggressive remarks. Just stop that bullshit and there might be a slim chance, I might take you more serious

Just because I call you out on the garbage you come out with, that doesn't mean I "get off" on being adversarial. I'd much prefer it if you just stopped being so silly and I didn't have to comment at all. It's not passive aggression just because someone finds 90% of your posts to be entirely inane and calls you out on it.

(If I were going to be passive aggressive, I'd tell you it's "seriously" not "serious". ;) )
    Simply slapping some fancy words or grammar in there, doesn't magically make up for the lack of content and "truthiness" of what someone is saying. Doing something like this simply that makes me grin, quite similarly to your passive aggressive crap. Because this pretentious dolling up of language, just makes it look like someone is compensating by trying to sound more interesting, without actually having anything to say.

Like I said, he hasn't "slapped fancy words" anywhere, that's just how he talks/types. It isn't pretentious unless he's deliberately trying to make himself sound better, and I just don't get that impression from him what so ever. That's literally my only objection to anything in this thread. It's absolutely ridiculous that people in this world are ridiculed or accused or being "stuck up" just because they are able to use "big words". As I said before, we're not in school any more, and that kind of school yard behaviour stinks, and reveals a lot about people's own insecurities.

I don't care about his decision to not support the game or Steam or what ever the issue is. I don't care if his points are all completely incorrect or if he's completely right. All I know is that he's being disregarded and accused of being pretentious just because he has a good vocabulary, and that blows. It's childish at best, destructive at worst.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Agreed on that.

I also agree, but where we disagree is that I don't think that's what happened here at all. I think you've got the guy judged all wrong.
  • TridonTridon Join Date: 2018-02-04 Member: 236799Members
    Yes please bring this on GOG.

+1
    So eager to play this game, I'm keeping an eye on the GOG-front several times a day to be sure I'm not missing the release.
  • matrixdllmatrixdll Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235941Members
    edited February 2018
    I've always been thinking of GOG as a perfect platform for everybody to re-release their game on once the sales stagnate (like, even AAA-publishers can afford themselves to sell their game DRM-free 1, 2, 3-5 years later after initial release - that should both help them sell few more copies to a niche market AND allow players to legally preserve a copy of the bought game forever, even after the service shutdown)
    edited February 2018
    @EnglishInfidel well crap, so calling out someone on their non-points is now bullying. I'm so sorry, didn't know that thanks for telling me so I can better my life... Or, now stay with me here... Might it be we're not disregarding him because of his language use and we're merely refuting his points on the how UWE, Valve and Microsoft do business together?

Nah, that can't possibly be what we're doing right, obviously we're all childish school bullies who should not pick on him.

Points that hold no water, yet are accompanied by "fancy talk" is simply highly suspect of trying to sound smarter, that's all we're (I'm) saying. There's no making fun of him or me being offensive. Offense is taken, not given, last I checked ;) Also please call me out "on my garbage", I need a good laugh. Mostly because I've yet to see you do any of that. Really interesting to see your mind at work though, it seems to be able to tap dance like a pro. Do you give dancing lessons perhaps, I could use some as my dancing is not as fancy as this lads use of the English language, maybe I can compensate my lack of dancing skills by fancying it up :trollface:

Sidenote:
    By the by, the bit you seem to have missed is that we're not accusing him of "trying to sound smart" and demand he stand trial for pushing his superior English skills on us mere mortals... We're simply questioning why is "fancy language" doesn't add up with the unsubstantiated stuff he's saying. I've not seen anyone up in here saying he should stop the fancy talk, have you?
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Join Date: 2017-08-10 Member: 232342Members
    Gotta say, I am *dying* to know what the OPs beef with Steam is. I mean, if it was something like, "I just don't like the idea of needing a program to launch another program" or something like that, I'd totally get it. I prefer keeping my computer as free from meddling middlemen as possible myself.

But, the OP says his reasons are personal. How?! What did Steam do to you, OP?! WHAT DID THEY DO!?!? :dizzy:
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Gotta say, I am *dying* to know what the OPs beef with Steam is. I mean, if it was something like, "I just don't like the idea of needing a program to launch another program" or something like that, I'd totally get it. I prefer keeping my computer as free from meddling middlemen as possible myself.

But, the OP says his reasons are personal. How?! What did Steam do to you, OP?! WHAT DID THEY DO!?!? :dizzy:

My guess is he'd rather all his money go to UWE instead of Valve, who already gets plenty of money, getting a cut. I know where he's coming from; UWE is a small company that needs support. Valve has plenty.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    @Jerych If you truly wish to commit monetary sustenance to Unknown Worlds and their aggregation, you may commit your wherewithal through various products constituted by Unknown Worlds Enterprises by virtue of Redbubble, a conglomerate that abstains from purloining any capital from UWE. Perchance that may satiate your aspirations to subsidize Unknown Worlds Enterprises.
    That was way too much fun. :) I can see why you do it now, @Jerych.
    edited February 2018
    If he really wants to support UWE more, he could always buy a Gorge Plushy and raise support for a potential Peeper Plushy :wink:
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    I'll play the devil advocate a little here. Parallel discussions aside, in the world we live in, it isn't practical to avoid the evil large corporations.
    Most people have smartphones (Google, Apple or Microsoft OSes mostly). Who can have the luxury of living without a bank account? Without buying medicine?
    The majority of what we can do is make responsible choices regarding what corporations we will rely on. Do they pollute less? Do they exploit slavery or child labor?

One of the reasons I like Subnautica is not having to shoot anyone, having the option of not exploiting any lifeform beyond necessary. I'm thinking about making a clean run (they should make it an achievement), without exploiting fauna and without building bio/nuclear reactors.
    Their development process was very transparent and it ran without interruptions, both should be commonplace on early access policy everywhere. Instead we highly praise UWE for doing what every other company should be doing.
    Those are good reasons to like a game and a company.

And UWE owns a lot to Valve. They started by modding one of their games. Valve's online store hosted NS2, exclusively I believe.
    And most of Subnautica development happened through it, for reasons other users stated above.

Now, there was a lot of hate toward Valve in this discussion, on the bandwagon hate against major corps.
    If you bought Subnautica on a pc, chances are you're playing on Windows. The simple act of owning a Windows computer is empowering Microsoft.
    Valve tried (still trying) to popularize Linux as a gaming OS. They have one of the most accessible platforms for indies, and that is great for us gamers. We get great games, for a fraction of the price of a major corp. launch. It instills competition among game developers. They take their share of the pie? Sure. Is it fair? Maybe not. But how do the other major corps behave? Who would we turn to, as pc clients?
    EA? Act-Blizzard? Ubisoft?

These others try to kill smaller games. Even Blizzard tried to suppress the moba genre back in the original DotA. Later someone must've been fired when they saw what LoL and DotA 2 became.

Valve doesn't fight small developers experiencing with their engines, they encourage it.

I'm no Valve fan. I definitely became a UWE fan after Sn. And I stand against bashing blindly against companies just because they are large. DRM is a condonable practice, and we should fight it whenever possible. But let's face it, game companies are nowhere near the devils of this world. Digital games production don't usually involve exploiting underdeveloped countries resources and cheap workforce. It barely generates pollution. It is not usually linked to information delivery systems such as news. It can gather some user data and behavior, but nothing your smartphone hasn't done already.

Does it really figures among other reasons to revolt?

• DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Dang, I thought youse guys were talking about "Calvin & Hobbes", until somebody said religion was involved.

Although, that's a kind of "Calvinism" I can get behind.
    B)
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited February 2018
    Allow me to address your attempt at back-pedalling one final time before this thread is closed.
    @EnglishInfidel well crap, so calling out someone on their non-points is now bullying. I'm so sorry, didn't know that thanks for telling me so I can better my life... Or, now stay with me here... Might it be we're not disregarding him because of his language use and we're merely refuting his points on the how UWE, Valve and Microsoft do business together?

Nah, that can't possibly be what we're doing right, obviously we're all childish school bullies who should not pick on him.

I didn't say you were bullying, I said you were childish.
    If you are "merely refuting his points on UWE" then why mention his language use at all?
    Quote;
    You seem to be using a lot of fancy talk for whatever reason... Not to sound like an asshole, which I am. But TBH, I've never seen anyone write English like this, it looks really strange... And kinda looks like you're trying to sound more interesting by using thesaurus or something...

You say you're not disregarding him because of his language and then in the very same post you say;
    Points that hold no water, yet are accompanied by "fancy talk" is simply highly suspect of trying to sound smarter, that's all we're (I'm) saying.
    That's certainly implying you are disregarding him based partly on his "fancy talk".
    Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.
    You admit that you imply he's just trying to "sound smarter" whilst at the same time denying it. Bizarre.
    Or maybe you just don't understand how implication works. I wouldn't be surprised.
    Also please call me out "on my garbage", I need a good laugh. Mostly because I've yet to see you do any of that.

I just did, but you'll probably conveniently ignore it or try to back-pedal some more, because it suits your narrative to engage in serious cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy.

I'd have at least a little respect for you if you were honest and didn't try to wriggle and squirm your way out of it. It's crystal clear that you were minimising the OP because of his language, no matter how loudly you object. Your posts speak for themselves.
    Simply slapping some fancy words or grammar in there, doesn't magically make up for the lack of content and "truthiness" of what someone is saying. Doing something like this simply that makes me grin, quite similarly to your passive aggressive crap. Because this pretentious dolling up of language, just makes it look like someone is compensating by trying to sound more interesting, without actually having anything to say

Don't bother replying, we're done here and I've wasted far too much time with this dross.