Creature eggs' names not changing after being hatched

OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
So apparently the creature eggs' names are supposed to change to the respective species' egg's name and get a new tooltip (eg. "Creature egg/an unidentified egg" to "Stalker egg/Stalkers hatch from these"). However, this doesn't seem to work for me. I've hatched plenty of different kinds of fish in the containment, yet the eggs still appear as creature eggs. I've checked plenty of eggs from species I've hatched (I do recognize them so it's not that) and rehatched some species eggs, but I've only found one "Stalker egg" and one egg in my lifepod changed to "Gasopod egg". Apart from those two, all eggs are still creature eggs. Is this happening to others?

I've hatched (and gotten the "x egg discovered"-message for) the following species:
  • Cutefish
  • Stalker
  • Sand shark
  • Mesmer
  • Spadefish
  • Rabbit ray
  • Gasopod
  • Crashfish
  • Lava lizard

Comments

• OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    Can I do something to make the names work or is it a bug and I'll just have to deal with it?
  • ZK13ZK13 United States Join Date: 2018-01-28 Member: 236079Members
    @Ojakokko - Have you scanned the respective creature before hatching? I wonder if that'll change anything.
    ZK13 wrote: »
    @Ojakokko - Have you scanned the respective creature before hatching? I wonder if that'll change anything.

I have scanned almost all creatures, including the ones I've hatched (before hatching). The only exception is the rabbit ray, which I only scanned after hatching. Haven't found a single rabbit ray egg besides the one I hatched anyways, so...
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Are you playing a pre 1.0 save or after because that can be the issue if not then it's just a bug
  • RyuujinZERORyuujinZERO Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235999Members
    edited January 2018
    I can confirm I have the same problem on a fresh save game. Post launch hatching an egg does not identify remaining eggs of the same species. During early access it was definitely the case that once you hatch an egg, it becomes identified by name when you spot future eggs of the same type in the wild (ie. "mesmer egg" not "creature egg")
  • ZK13ZK13 United States Join Date: 2018-01-28 Member: 236079Members
    Weird. Maybe this is a bug then. D:
    adel_50 wrote: »
    Are you playing a pre 1.0 save or after because that can be the issue if not then it's just a bug

It's a pre 1.0 save. Could be that, will try on a new save ASAP
    I can confirm I have the same problem on a fresh save game. Post launch hatching an egg does not identify remaining eggs of the same species. During early access it was definitely the case that once you hatch an egg, it becomes identified by name when you spot future eggs of the same type in the wild (ie. "mesmer egg" not "creature egg")

Well.... Hope they fix it then
    It would appear that the eggs laid in the containment have the correct names. I have a containment full of stalkers (that definitely has nothing to do with the bioreactor in the next room) and when I expanded it two "Stalker eggs" soon appeared
  • ShadoxShadox France Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235990Members
    edited January 2018
    I also have that issue , how it work for me :

-i find an unknow egg
    -i hatch it (message saying me i discovered XXX egg)
    -next egg have sometime the revelead name , but not alltime (i have the same specie egg in a chest , some with "xxx egg" some with "unknow egg" name.)

-egg found with scanner seem be all unknow.

My game was created around 10 day ago , so it's not a pre-release savegame.
    Shadox wrote: »

-i find an unknow egg
    -next egg have sometime the revelead name , but not alltime (i have the same specie egg in a chest , some with "xxx egg" some with "unknow egg" name.)

So the exact same as for me (except that I've only found one in a chest and one "wild" with the proper name), except for in a post-1.0 save (mine is pre-1.0). Do the eggs laid in a containment unit have the proper name for you?
    edited January 2018
    Ojakokko wrote: »

-i find an unknow egg

So the exact same as for me (except that I've only found one in a chest and one "wild" with the proper name), except for in a post-1.0 save (mine is pre-1.0). Do the eggs laid in a containment unit have the proper name for you?

I must admit i never see an egg in the big aquarium (except eggs i drop myself ofc) , but i'll investigate , for now its a triple big aqua full of reginald , but like i only eat bulbo tree i'll remove them all and put a couple of spadefish or something like that.

But pretty sure they will have their respectiv name , my issue seem only occur on eggs in the wild (but i'll check that ASAP for be sure).

Sorry fo my english.

Edit : ok i've put 2 know egg in the aqua (spadefish) , i'll wait for them to hatch , grow , and make an egg , 'ill tell you if it's a named egg or not.

I've also 2 no name egg (mesmer) for an another try after (i've also a third mesmer egg but this one with the name).
    So (yeah i dont use Edit mode because it's for a result so a notification may be better) , after breeding 2 spadefish in my Big Aqua , i've finally get a homemade egg and it's a named egg.
    So (yeah i dont use Edit mode because it's for a result so a notification may be better) , after breeding 2 spadefish in my Big Aqua , i've finally get a homemade egg and it's a named egg.

Ok so it's the same problem as for me then. Probably a bug that can be encountered by anyone. Hope it'll he fixed soon
  • ssutcliffessutcliffe United States Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223565Members
    This is true post 1.0 still. It's been an issue for a long time. Maybe it's on the list for finally fixing it now that 1.0 is finally out? I hope so!
  • GrafDrescheGrafDresche Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236212Members
    Unlike earlier builds, fish in the Alien Containment do not seem to breed anymore. The population stays static. Anyone else experiencing this?

Regarding the eggs - in my current game, they sometimes show their name, but most of the time not.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @GrafDresche make sure you aren't at the max population, 10 per floor of Alien Containment(stacking 2 gives max 20).
  • fungustrooperfungustrooper Join Date: 2018-02-02 Member: 236600Members
    Just wanted to chime in as having the same problem. Hatched a stalker egg, wild stalker eggs still showing up as "Creature Egg"s.
  • GrafDrescheGrafDresche Join Date: 2018-01-29 Member: 236212Members
    narfblat wrote: »
    @GrafDresche make sure you aren't at the max population, 10 per floor of Alien Containment(stacking 2 gives max 20).

Yes, thanks, but it is far from the maximum. only six or seven fish across two levels...
    narfblat wrote: »

Yes, thanks, but it is far from the maximum. only six or seven fish across two levels...

How big fish? That limit is for your basic tiny fish (peepers, bladderfish, reginalds etc. basically anything that takes up one slot in the inventory). Bigger fish need more room. For example, you can have only up to four stalkers in one level. You won't be able to fit a fifth stalker, but you can fit some smaller fish.
  • SecularSurferSecularSurfer United States Join Date: 2018-07-01 Member: 241836Members
    I'm having the same problem too. I hatched 2 Rabbit Rays, 1 Crashfish, 1 Sand Shark and 1 Stalker. I had two eggs (one Sand Shark and one Stalker) in a wall locker at the time my eggs hatched. These two eggs both changed over to show their respective names, but all other ones I find still say creature eggs. I hatched another Sand Shark egg and Stalker egg, but no change.
  • SecularSurferSecularSurfer United States Join Date: 2018-07-01 Member: 241836Members
    This is such an awesome game. It's kind of disheartening that such a seemingly easy fix remains unresolved for (at least) six months now. :/
  • mrwittmrwitt Join Date: 2020-02-12 Member: 257815Members
    I have experienced similar issues playing the game on an Xbox One X via gamepass

For me it seemed well until already identified species of creature eggs in the wild lose their identification if the scan room is used to search for Creature Eggs

Love the game! Thanks for your time!