Praise for the Early Game Progression

MaxAstroMaxAstro Join Date: 2005-07-07 Member: 55451Members
So one of my complaints about the early game prerelease was that it's very... undirected. There are a lot of places you can go, a lot of things competing for your attention, and the radio signals come super fast. It's a bit overwhelming for me, and I imagine super overwhelming for a new player.

I'm currently playing my first post-release playthrough, and I wanted to say - it's much improved. I've been playing "blind" (basically ignoring all the things I know about unless the game logically leads me to them) and I've been very pleased with the results. It's basically been like this:

*Game start... wow, I have no idea what to do, let's explore a bit.

*Repair the pod... huh, radio signal about a rendezvous... that sounds important. Oh! It says it's at 300m. No way I can get that deep... Ignore for now.

*Wow, the Aurora exploded. Huh, free radiation suit blueprint? I guess maybe I should explore that.

*Hmm... can't get through these doors. Says I need a laser cutter, and I haven't found diamonds yet. Oh, but the one place I can get has something... Seamoth Pressure Module...

*Oh hey! It says my Seamoth has a 300m crush depth now. That's the same depth as that signal! I should go check that out.

Then you go to the signal and find diamonds and the beacon for the floating island and the game starts to really open up. But as far as the early game progression goes, it's clear a lot of thought was put into subtly guiding the player towards what they should be doing, and hinting at where to go next. Plus, it might just be me, but the radio signals seem to come a lot slower, which is much appreciated and leaves me feeling less frantic to explore everywhere.

tl;dr: Good job with the early game, devs. :)

Comments

• JimboJamboJimboJambo Join Date: 2018-01-25 Member: 235708Members
    As a relatively new player who got the game only a few weeks ago, with the experience still fresh in my mind, I'd like to second this. The radio messages do come a bit quickly, especially when you encounter a new area you want to explore for a while ...But beyond that, the game does a fantastic job of guiding you to where you need to go, and just when you think you've pretty much seen everything, it surprises you by taking you deeper to some place completely new.
  • prototype464prototype464 North Carolina, United States Join Date: 2017-03-16 Member: 228993Members
    I do indeed like the changes they've made, and I love how far this game has come. This game and its developers are very rare, a good and playable game (that doesn't use multiplayer [yet, because the community is making a multiplayer mod.]) with active developers who listen to the community and make changes accordingly. Great game! :)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I do indeed like the changes they've made, and I love how far this game has come. This game and its developers are very rare, a good and playable game (that doesn't use multiplayer [yet, because the community is making a multiplayer mod.]) with active developers who listen to the community and make changes accordingly. Great game! :)

*eyeballs your username*

..reminds me of prototype24 and FreeSpace, heh /random
  • prototype464prototype464 North Carolina, United States Join Date: 2017-03-16 Member: 228993Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

*eyeballs your username*

..reminds me of prototype24 and FreeSpace, heh /random

This makes me feel like giving the little-known story of how I came up with my username...

It all started years ago when as an 8 year old, I found Roblox for the first time. It was a new game that was rapidly growing, they were Roblox's golden years. Over time, the developers ruined the game and the community got increasingly toxic, I outgrew it. I left it in 2013, and went on to many other games including Minecraft, which I found in 2009 and bought in 2010 during the Beta. When I played Roblox, this was the decision I made for a name no one would be deciding on but also draws attention. I needed a cool word, something 8 year old me would find interesting. A long word, something that caught the eye. My old name was "Ranger Stiletto" that I chose in a game called Dungeon Runners. After seeing a TV show called "Prototype This" (they only lasted like 1 season) I decided my name would be prototype464. I created it, and to this day it makes me happy to see it still draws the eyes of people.

I came up with the name "Lord Proto" when I was obsessed with medieval/hierarchy subjects. (These days I love WW2, tanks, and history from that era) I chose Lord, because of the lords of kingdoms and "Proto" because literally everyone calls me "Proto" instead of "Prototype". Lord Proto was born (and is the name of my Youtube channel, someone had somehow taken prototype464) so now many people call me "Lord" and I realize how much of a mistake that was of mine, because I am a prototype. Always changing for the better, getting new ideas and better visions. I am not a lord, nor a king. And when people call me "lord" I think to myself "I'm not Jesus, I'm not Lord." but I accept that they call me that anyway.

TL:DR = A TV show called "Prototype This" gave me the idea.
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    Agreed, they've done very well with progression. It's come a very long way from early builds where you basically had to get lucky finding random signals in crates or would just look stuff up and go to the coordinates.