Infinite Energy with the Cyclops

SoldierX5SoldierX5 United States Join Date: 2018-01-21 Member: 235341Members
So I was minding my own day in Subnautica when suddenly a thought came to me while I was charging my power cells in my Cyclops, to charge one full power cell it requires around 20% of a single Cyclops power cell's energy, and even less when it's an ion one. So in theory, a singular normal power cell can charge up to 5 other power cells, and those 5 can charge up to 25, and those 25 can charge up to 125, etc. This seems kinda strange, since I think that charging a power cell with the Cyclops should use up an entire other power cell's battery. Anyone else agree?

Comments

• OjakokkoOjakokko Finland Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226999Members
    edited January 2018
    This used to be a thing and a very well known exploit, but it no longer works. The charge rate is one to one now.

"charging a power cell with the Cyclops should use up an entire other power cell"
    Now it does, but it actually should use up a bit more. One to one charging requires 100% efficiency, which can never be reached. Back when the charge rate was 5:1 you would've needed 500% efficiency, which directly breaks the law of conservation of energy.
  • SoldierX5SoldierX5 United States Join Date: 2018-01-21 Member: 235341Members
    So it isn't a thing then, I must've been mistaken then while checking the power cell in my cyclops, oh well, it makes a lot more sense at least.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    SoldierX5 wrote: »
    So it isn't a thing then, I must've been mistaken then while checking the power cell in my cyclops, oh well, it makes a lot more sense at least.

Could be the fix got undone accidentally. Or it was draining from another power cell.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    SoldierX5 wrote: »

Could be the fix got undone accidentally. Or it was draining from another power cell.

I've been watching the Jacksepticeye Full Release Subnautica vids he's been posting for the past few days and thought he was in for a rude awakening when he installed a bunch of power cell chargers on his Cyclops. Imagine my surprise when the exploit apparently still worked. Unless he kicks the Cyclops into Flank mode, it seems to be charging cells without substantially draining his onboard cells.

Sounds like there's a code break somewhere.
  • VeronicaZVeronicaZ United States Join Date: 2018-06-18 Member: 241544Members
    But the new solar and thermal upgrades allow you to charge while you're working deep and or sunbathing. With the seamoth you can charge batteries by leaving it in the sun. If it's like the solar panels that means anywhere above 200 feet deep and the cyclopse and prawn can self charge with thermal heat now.
  • GuizmoGuizmo Join Date: 2018-08-03 Member: 242639Members
    With the reducing consumption of energy, you can use charging power cells. I guess the reduction applies to it too.
    I'd say you have +20% each cycle with 2 power cell chargers.

I'm not entirely sure, but i went to the 1200m alien base, and went back to the surface, with about 10 larvas on my cyclop, then survived a ghost leviathan attack and i could keep my energy using this method, so it looked like i saved energy this way
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    Habitat solar cells seem to work just fine for building in the pitch darkness of caves - so I assume that depth and time of day are the variables effecting power production. How about the Seamoth solar upgrade, the same?

As for infinite energy, growing melons for the Bioreactor always seemed a bit of an exploit on the laws of thermo-dynamics to me.
  • Sin_Shadow_FoxSin_Shadow_Fox underwater hell in a leviathan stomach Join Date: 2017-05-28 Member: 230797Members
    You don't by chance know how to cause this code break to allow for cyclops charging do you?