SG1: One ION cannon isn't enough for plane-wide coverage

Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT DeputyThe Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
It is a spoiler, sort of... Soooo tread carefully!

Comments

• JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members
    "38 !?! "

I'd mentioned the point in another post. However, I imagine there's more on 4546B (which is a very Stargate-sounding planet name, abbreviated :) ).
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Jacke wrote: »
    "38 !?! "

I'd mentioned the point in another post. However, I imagine there's more on 4546B (which is a very Stargate-sounding planet name, abbreviated :) ).

I did thought that as well but now I know that the answer is way different. Why? Well the scanning the gun's energy core tells you that the cannon can attack any craft no matter where it is in orbit by somehow bending the beam
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    adel_50 wrote: »
    "38 !?! "

I did thought that as well but now I know that the answer is way different. Why? Well the scanning the gun's energy core tells you that the cannon can attack any craft no matter where it is in orbit by somehow bending the beam

So it's firing off a ki-blast like the Galick gun or Kamehameha? :D
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    The beam bends by the gravity on the planet. Yes it is werid but it does sound cool they created a gun that can bend a laser via gravity.
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    adel_50 wrote: »
    "38 !?! "

So it's firing off a ki-blast like the Galick gun or Kamehameha? :D

Ikr
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    The answer is really simple... Precursors had sufficient technology to rotate the entire PLANET so that one gun was sufficient. :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2018
    opq8sxxa85l2.png
    The sheer amount of plot-device up in here could fuel those 38 ION cannons :trollface:
  • garathgarath Texas Join Date: 2017-02-08 Member: 227730Members
    Thanks a lot! Now, I am in the mood for Stargate SG1 and have to go back and rewatch the whole series before work tomorrow. :)
  • NuclearTestingNuclearTesting Join Date: 2017-07-27 Member: 232082Members
    I've been watching SG-1. I'm on season 8 right now. It's... SO COOL!
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Someone's not thinking with Portals.

A single QEP should be sufficient to cover one hemisphere. A total of eight gun platforms would suffice to engage low-orbit targets. Range is the limiting factor here.

If more firepower is required in a particular arc of sky, Precursor technology is sufficiently advanced to either teleport in additional guns or fabricate them where they're needed.
  • HCP2311HCP2311 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235914Members
    General Armitage Hux would have been very impressed with this magic cannon.
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    What is even more unreasonable is two ships crashing within a couple of kilometers from each other with the same weapon. It is even more unlikely when the QEP is supposed to be able to fire at ships on the other side of the planet. Then there is the problem that all of the alien facilities are located in the same 2 km x 2 km area. It is as if the only shallow areas and islands are located in one small area of the planet and the rest of the planet is 2 to 3 km deep.
  • xm234xm234 Poland Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229207Members
    edited February 2018
    starkaos wrote: »
    What is even more unreasonable is two ships crashing within a couple of kilometers from each other with the same weapon. It is even more unlikely when the QEP is supposed to be able to fire at ships on the other side of the planet. Then there is the problem that all of the alien facilities are located in the same 2 km x 2 km area. It is as if the only shallow areas and islands are located in one small area of the planet and the rest of the planet is 2 to 3 km deep.

Not the rest of the planet, but it is possible, that our map is the only "landmass" on this part of 4546B. Then, it would make sense for the pilots to land there, as it gives more chances of survival, which explains both ships landing almost at the same spot.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    @starkaos
    It is unlikely, but not impossible. There has to be more islands, otherwise surface plants and skyrays wouldn't have evolved. When scanning the big floaters on the floating island they cue that there are other such floating landmasses in the planet.
    The planet is also tectonically active, therefore formation and destruction of new landmasses is also probable in a geologic time scale. It is very likely that 4546B has other volcanic islands around it.
    The beam bends by the gravity on the planet. Yes it is werid but it does sound cool they created a gun that can bend a laser via gravity.
    Maybe it is not an energy weapon, but a highly exotic kinetic weapon. I think the main questions are, how fast does its ordnance travel? Is it capable of accelerating?

Bugzapper wrote: »
    Someone's not thinking with Portals...
    Precursor technology is sufficiently advanced to either teleport in additional guns or fabricate them where they're needed.
    That big bad gun seems like it isn't really easy to build, or move, but couldn't one aim through a portal and use portals to increase the gun coverage? Maybe even to off planet sites?

• AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    It can bend around the planet and even the nearest planets using gravity.

It took down the aurora pretty quickly. The beam is most likely full of so much power that the beam destroys smaller ships and causes other issues.

By the way, ever realized that the sunbeam is actually bigger than the Degasi (As seen in the Cinematic Trailer) but the Degasi survived and the Sunbeam exploded into a bunch of pieces.
    @AnomalyDetected
    It's not just about size. The Sunbeam is a cargo ship, the Degasi seems to be the personal ship of (or at least the ship being captained by) Paul Torgal, owner of Torgal Corp.
    His ship, although not on the technical tier of the Aurora, must have been a very luxurious ship with many resources, much like a luxury yacht or a private jet.

And if the Precursor Cannon fires beams as we know them, they shouldn't bend (on a practical sense) under planets gravity fields.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »
    @AnomalyDetected
    It's not just about size. The Sunbeam is a cargo ship, the Degasi seems to be the personal ship of (or at least the ship being captained by) Paul Torgal, owner of Torgal Corp.
    His ship, although not on the technical tier of the Aurora, must have been a very luxurious ship with many resources, much like a luxury yacht or a private jet.

And if the Precursor Cannon fires beams as we know them, they shouldn't bend (on a practical sense) under planets gravity fields.

It is said within data entries that the beam abuses gravity to bend. This means it's possibly more solid matter within the beam.
    @AnomalyDetected

It is said within data entries that the beam abuses gravity to bend. This means it's possibly more solid matter within the beam.
    I agree, that's why I said this:
    Maybe it is not an energy weapon, but a highly exotic kinetic weapon. I think the main questions are, how fast does its ordnance travel? Is it capable of accelerating?
    @AnomalyDetected

I agree, that's why I said this:

Going off the idea of solid matter being within the beam...

This would mean Ion Crystal Chunks would be in it, and we know how much power those have.

This would also explain how such a small gun took out the Giant Aurora. If the Ion Crystal Chunks were found within it, that would include a TON of explosive energy.

Basically like this:
    - Beam fires.
    - Aurora goes boom boom pow
    - Ship falls outa da sky
    @AnomalyDetected

I'm not questioning the gun destructive ability. And excuse-me if I sound condescending, but the "projectile" needs specific speeds, assuming it travels frictionless through the atmosphere, to make proper use of gravity assisted maneuvers. If it is too slow it falls in the water, if it is too fast it quickly escapes the gravity well.

And it is aiming at space faring vessels that should be moving relatively fast to the planet. So I expect it to have some means to alter its velocity midflight.
  • TJStrattonTJStratton CA Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236520Members
    Uh if a ship is orbiting a round planet eventually the gun will be in range.
    TJStratton wrote: »

Unless it's parked in a geostationary orbit :tongue:
  • TJStrattonTJStratton CA Join Date: 2018-02-01 Member: 236520Members

Nice try but that kind of orbit is only attainable on the equator of planets and much closer than a standard orbit. There is no reason for a manned ship like the Aurora to do that.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    edited February 2018
    My far-fetched thought: maybe the precursors want anyone who is shot down to crash within this area. Any deserters within the precursor group would be sent back to where they tried to leave from, while anyone who might accidentally arrive could be convinced or pressed into service to help find the cure.

Nice try but that kind of orbit is only attainable on the equator of planets and much closer than a standard orbit. There is no reason for a manned ship like the Aurora to do that.
    I can think of quite a few reasons for a manned ship to be in geostationary orbit.

That said, I don't think the Aurora was orbiting the planet when it was hit.
    edited February 2018
    Yeah, I think it was actually in the mids of maneuvering into orbit. And the way it's pointed at the planet makes me believe it veered off course, which can happen IF A BLOODY ANTI SPACE SHIP CANNON SHOOTS YOU :D

However TBH, the Aurora doesn't really look like a planetary lander in any case. Does it even have landing gear and more importantly, the ability to take off once more? It looks more like a carrier used as an orbital platform. Launching shuttles to set up an initial base of operation and then, once that's set up, proceed to use phasegates and something similar to the future TSF "infantry portals"
    I think there's a PDA log that states the Aurora is about to make a "slingshot maneuver" around 4546B, I don't remember anywhere saying whether they intended to actually orbit the planet.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Well a gravity slingshot maneuver would mean that the Aurora would be orbiting the planet for some time. Long enough to scan the planet for the Degasis and long enough for the gun to ruin everyone's day.
    I think there's a PDA log that states the Aurora is about to make a "slingshot maneuver" around 4546B, I don't remember anywhere saying whether they intended to actually orbit the planet.

I guess you can say they got hit by the "slingshot" instead :o
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members

Actually a geostationary orbit is at about 45,000 kilometers, which makes it a high earth orbit. You could also easily accomplish this with a geocentric orbit which can be off the equator. The point is that you don't ever get over that hemisphere of the planet close enough to get shot.

As for bending the "beam" with gravity, while that is highly unlikely I think the problem most are having when thinking about this is thinking of it as a purely energy weapon. It's much more likely that it's a particle beam. In this case there is no pure energy in the beam, it's just a mass of highly charged particles of something. That does leave the theoretical possibility that you could cause it to bend around gravity exactly the way you want it to by controlling it's initial velocity. It's a really interesting idea, honestly.